Author Topic: The Army Says Its Next-Generation Assault Rifle Will Pack A Punch Like A Tank’s Main Gun  (Read 363 times)

rangerrebew

The Army Says Its Next-Generation Assault Rifle Will Pack A Punch Like A Tank’s Main Gun
By Jared Keller
on February 27, 2018

The Army claims its new assault rifle will unleash a hailstorm of specially-designed shells with as much chamber pressure as a battle tank to tear through even the most advanced body armor — and if all goes according to plan, the soldiers will get them to play with sooner than they thought.

The service plans on fielding a Next Generation Squad Automatic Rifle (NGSAR) — the first version in the Army’s Next-Generation Weapons System that chambers a round between 6.5mm and 6.8mm —  as a potential replacement for its 80,000 M249 SAWs starting in fiscal 2022 rather than the original target date of fiscal 2025, Col. Geoffrey A. Norman, force development division chief at Army HQ, told Task & Purpose, with two per nine-man infantry squad.

https://taskandpurpose.com/army-next-generation-squad-weapon/

Offline the_doc

When did the philosophy of having a SAW for every infantry squad get started?  Was it in WWII?  (I believe it was a Browning machine gun, but what caliber was it?)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
When did the philosophy of having a SAW for every infantry squad get started?  Was it in WWII?  (I believe it was a Browning machine gun, but what caliber was it?)

The maxim was the first self-powered one used by the US (WW I) and it was a .303 caliber.  After that (WW II) you had the browning (also .30 caliber) and later the M-60.   The M-60 is too heavy for most people to carry.  I think thats why they started using the m249 which shoots 5.56.    When I was in we used the M60 but had it mounted.  The m249 wasn't in wide use at that time (late 80s).   Army and marine units had the .50 cal of course.

Other countries tended to use .30 caliber machine guns as well.   

The m249 has a good rate of fire but lacks the punch & range of the bigger calibers.  I've shot it and found it pretty useless except as fire suppression.   Folks that used it in combat probably have a different opinion.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 07:34:55 pm by driftdiver »
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
6.5 Grendel compared to 5.56 currently being used.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Seems like that would have a lot more stopping power and range.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Suppressed

And since when is a SAW an "assault rifle"?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline the_doc

The maxim was the first self-powered one used by the US (WW I) and it was a .303 caliber.  After that (WW II) you had the browning (also .30 caliber) and later the M-60.   The M-60 is too heavy for most people to carry. 

Thanks for the interesting info.  I had forgotten about the Maxim.