Author Topic: Trump says he will impose tariffs on steel and aluminum imports 'next week'  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Applewood

While arguing that the United States has been treated "horribly treated by other countries," Trump also told the executives that "you'll have to regrow your industries, that's all I'm asking."

No complaints from me.
He's absolutely right.

And his being right just shaved about a thousand dollars off my retirement nest egg.  Thanks, Trump.

Offline RoosGirl

Oh yeah... it was crap. It got to where we would rather salvage and clean it up than buy new. Try to cut a decent line on that jap junk... It would turn out jagged enough to have to grind... Full of slag holes and blowouts. I actually found more than one embedded ball bearings.

My FIL used to be the equipment manager for a golf course in Naples.  I guess he would have salesmen show up trying to get them to buy this or that new brand of Japanese or Chinese tools.  He'd rig up a bolt in a vise and use the salesmen's tools to see which would snap first; the bolt head or the import wrench.  And then do the same experiment with a US steel wrench.  He knew that cheap junk would end up stripping out and basically breaking while the US steel wrench would break the bolt head off.

Offline roamer_1

He knew that cheap junk would end up stripping out and basically breaking while the US steel wrench would break the bolt head off.

That's right. And I've got more thirty-year old  Snap-Ons out in the shed than you can probably believe, to prove it... And all my old man's too - A lot of those are older than me. Still pristene.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
 The forces of Globalization and technology are bigger than any government, and any president, including Trump.  For the past 40 years the USA has been the world's biggest beneficiary of technology and globalization largely because we had free trade and open markets.  Now Trump is shooting himself and us in the foot.

Raising steel prices on General Motors, Boeing, General Electric, Ruger, Harley Davidson and every other American manufacturer that uses the commodity is not going to help the American worker.

On another thread someone said it will amount to only $300 per every new car.  But that means our cars become $300 more expensive to the Europeans and Asians while Hyundai, Kia, Toyota and Mercedes get no price increase to those markets.  Thus, we sell fewer air conditioners, appliances, motorcycles and automobiles overseas while they sell less steel to us. 

Fair trade indeed.

Online corbe

A little History of the last time this was tried.

Protectionism

The battle of Smoot-Hawley

A cautionary tale about how a protectionist measure opposed by all right-thinking people was passed

Dec 18th 2008

EVEN when desperate, Wall Street bankers are not given to grovelling. But in June 1930 Thomas Lamont, a partner at J.P. Morgan, came close. “I almost went down on my knees to beg Herbert Hoover to veto the asinine Hawley-Smoot Tariff,” he recalled. “That Act intensified nationalism all over the world.”

According to David Kennedy, an historian, Lamont was “usually an influential economic adviser” to the American president. Not this time. Hoover signed the bill on June 17th: “the tragic-comic finale”, said that week's Economist, “to one of the most amazing chapters in world tariff history…one that Protectionist enthusiasts the world over would do well to study.”

The Tariff Act of 1930, which increased nearly 900 American import duties, was debated, passed and signed as the world was tumbling into the Depression. Its sponsors—Willis Hawley, a congressman from Oregon, and Reed Smoot, a senator from Utah—have come to personify the economic isolationism of the era. Sixty-three years later, in a television debate on the North American Free-Trade Agreement, Al Gore, then vice-president, even presented his unamused anti-NAFTA opponent, Ross Perot, with a framed photograph of the pair. Now, with the world economy in perhaps its worst pickle since the Depression, the names of Hawley and Smoot are cropping up again.

<..snip..>

https://www.economist.com/node/12798595
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

"Canada's Foreign Affairs Minister:“It is entirely inappropriate to view any trade with Canada as a national security threat... Should restrictions be imposed on Canadian steel and aluminum products, Canada will take responsive measures to defend its trade interests and workers.”"
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 06:51:30 am by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Suppressed

Metal stuff will be more expensive, so I'll just buy more cheap Chinese throwaway plastic crap instead of American.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 10:03:36 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
A little History of the last time this was tried.

The Tariff Act of 1930, which increased nearly 900 American import duties, was debated, passed and signed as the world was tumbling into the Depression.

! No longer available
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Metal stuff will be more expensive, so I'll just buy more cheap Chinese throwaway plastic crap instead of American.

Metal stuff made overseas will be cheaper than metal stuff made here, so you can still buy Chinese metal stuff and just stop buying American.  American companies that use a lot of metal will be encouraged to move their plants overseas to compete.  All so we can protect the "American worker."

Offline kevindavis007

It seems that Trump is taking advice from this loser:

"Certain industries cannot compete with foreign producers because of lower foreign wages and cost of living abroad...we pledge [tariffs] so American labor may command the home market, maintain its standard of living and count upon steady employment." --Herbert Hoover, 1930
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Suppressed

Metal stuff made overseas will be cheaper than metal stuff made here, so you can still buy Chinese metal stuff and just stop buying American.  American companies that use a lot of metal will be encouraged to move their plants overseas to compete.  All so we can protect the "American worker."

True, it will be cheaper than US stuff, but it will still be artificially pricier than market.

Trump just stabbed US workers and consumers in the back.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline goatprairie

The evidence from the steel tariff imposed by the last Bush admin is pretty recent history. It was a disaster. And the Bush admin quickly rescinded it after a year or so. You'd think Trump would do a little digging into the past. 

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
The evidence from the steel tariff imposed by the last Bush admin is pretty recent history. It was a disaster. And the Bush admin quickly rescinded it after a year or so. You'd think Trump would do a little digging into the past.

Well, he's got one thing on his mind when it comes to trade and this won't affect them that much, since they're not our biggest metal importer.

! No longer available

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.