Author Topic: 3 Core Facets of Narcissism, from Malignant to Adaptive  (Read 449 times)

Offline Suppressed

3 Core Facets of Narcissism, from Malignant to Adaptive
« on: March 01, 2018, 03:54:11 pm »
3 Core Facets of Narcissism, from Malignant to Adaptive
New research provides insights into narcissism’s complex features.
Posted Feb 27, 2018
Susan Krauss Whitbourne Ph.D.

There seems to be no end to the fascination that psychologists as well as the public to the narcissistic personality. Given that narcissism as a personality disorder is technically not highly prevalent, the attention it receives seems disproportionate compared to, for example, depression and anxiety disorders. At a February 2018 meeting of the American Psychoanalytic Association, narcissism was the topic of a considerable number of papers and presentations, as well as casual talk at various receptions. In particular, the psychoanalysts interviewed for the New York Times commented extensively on the “malignant” form of narcissism. Although abiding by the Goldwater Rule that prohibits mental health professionals from diagnosing politicians, the topic of Donald Trump naturally enough became part of the conversation.

That ironic tendency of narcissism to become a topic demanding constant attention was aptly summarized by Zlatan Krizan and Anne Herlache of Iowa State University, noting in the opening of their 2018 study that “the narcissistic personality stubbornly persists in puzzling psychologists attempting to understand it, all the while perplexing clinicians attempting to treat its pathological manifestations” (p. 3). Scholars, they note, disagree about (a) narcissism’s key features, (b) how its features are organized, and (c) what accounts for their organization.

The list of traits thought to exist in narcissism do tend to focus around grandiosity and self-aggrandizement, the Iowa State researchers observe, but they also involve a considerable degree of insecurity and vulnerability. These contradictory features “have awkwardly co-existed throughout the history of the construct” (p. 4). A resolution, Krizan and Herlache believe, is to define narcissism as simply “entitled self-importance” (p. 5). Narcissists, in other words, think they’re more important than everyone else, and feel they deserve special treatment. This definition doesn’t rule out investigations of whether narcissists have high or low self-esteem, are good or poor leaders, or are prone to shame. However, self-importance as a core narcissistic feature does, the authors believe, cut across various theoretical lines and makes it possible to move on to the other two core issues.

[...]

References

Krizan, Z., & Herlache, A. D. (2018). The narcissism spectrum model: A synthetic view of narcissistic personality. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 22(1), 3-31. doi:10.1177/1088868316685018
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: 3 Core Facets of Narcissism, from Malignant to Adaptive
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 08:29:26 pm »
Just what I needed today.

More psycho-babble.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline LadyLiberty

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 10:59:16 pm »
I get the analyst world sees personality disorders in Trump.  However, where were they from 2009-17 during the reign of King Narcissus I?  It would have also been nice to have this scrutiny on King and Queen Pathological in the 90s.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:59:37 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 11:23:32 pm »
"Although abiding by the Goldwater Rule that prohibits mental health professionals from diagnosing politicians..."

No, that's not what the Goldwater Rule does.  It prevents MH professionals from diagnosing people whom they've never met and/or worked with in a MH role.