Author Topic: Putin boasts of new Russian nuclear weapons  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Putin boasts of new Russian nuclear weapons
« on: March 01, 2018, 11:54:03 am »
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/putin-boasts-russian-nuclear-weapons-53433951

Russia has tested an array of new strategic nuclear weapons that can't be intercepted, President Vladimir Putin announced Thursday, marking a technological breakthrough that would dramatically increase Russia's military capability and boost the Kremlin's global position.

Speaking in a state-of-the-nation speech, Putin said the weapons include a nuclear-powered cruise missile, a nuclear-powered underwater drone and new hypersonic missile. He said the creation of the new weapons has made NATO's U.S.-led missile defense "useless," and means an effective end to what he described as Western efforts to stymie Russia's development.

"I want to tell all those who have fueled the arms race over the last 15 years, sought to win unilateral advantages over Russia, introduced unlawful sanctions aimed to contain our country's development: all what you wanted to impede with your policies have already happened," he said. "You have failed to contain Russia."

more at link

I wonder what goofy nickname President Trump will tweet out for Vlad?  I wish we had a leader now.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:55:01 am by Once-Ler »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Putin boasts of new Russian nuclear weapons
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 12:13:07 pm »
I'd be worried, but the latest wonder weapons from Russia are a joke.  The SU-57 is not a true 5th Generation aircraft.  Their Armata tank couldn't make it through a parade without breaking down.  We've seen what a farce their aircraft carrier was during its trip to Syria.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 07:39:19 pm »
I'd be worried, but the latest wonder weapons from Russia are a joke.  The SU-57 is not a true 5th Generation aircraft.  Their Armata tank couldn't make it through a parade without breaking down.  We've seen what a farce their aircraft carrier was during its trip to Syria.

Yes, I wondered too.  Separating Putin from propaganda is pretty near impossible. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 07:52:21 pm »
Putin boasts of new Russian nuclear weapons: ‘You listen to us now’
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/mar/1/putin-boasts-of-new-russian-nuclear-weapons/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 07:59:04 pm »
Yes, I wondered too.  Separating Putin from propaganda is pretty near impossible.

He really wants to be relevant again.  Some think he wants to reassemble the Soviet Union.  IMO, he wants the 19th Century Russian Empire with great influence over areas without the direct responsibility.

They see our growing influence in Eastern Europe as a threat to that sphere.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 08:00:26 pm by edpc »

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 08:37:50 pm »
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/putin-boasts-russian-nuclear-weapons-53433951

Russia has tested an array of new strategic nuclear weapons that can't be intercepted, President Vladimir Putin announced Thursday, marking a technological breakthrough that would dramatically increase Russia's military capability and boost the Kremlin's global position.

Speaking in a state-of-the-nation speech, Putin said the weapons include a nuclear-powered cruise missile, a nuclear-powered underwater drone and new hypersonic missile. He said the creation of the new weapons has made NATO's U.S.-led missile defense "useless," and means an effective end to what he described as Western efforts to stymie Russia's development.

"Nuclear-powered" cruise missiles and underwater drones?  Yeah, I don't think so. "Nuclear-capable", i.e., capable of carrying a nuclear warhead, sure, I'll believe that. After all, that 80's era technology.
Let it burn.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 09:00:58 am »
"Nuclear-powered" cruise missiles and underwater drones?  Yeah, I don't think so. "Nuclear-capable", i.e., capable of carrying a nuclear warhead, sure, I'll believe that. After all, that 80's era technology.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34797252
Russia reveals giant nuclear torpedo in state TV 'leak' 12 November 2015

Rossiiskaya Gazeta called the torpedo a "robotic mini-submarine", travelling at 100 knots (185km/h; 115mph), which would "avoid all acoustic tracking devices and other traps".

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 03:21:55 pm »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 03:26:47 pm »

He really wants to be relevant again.  Some think he wants to reassemble the Soviet Union.  IMO, he wants the 19th Century Russian Empire with great influence over areas without the direct responsibility.

They see our growing influence in Eastern Europe as a threat to that sphere.

Plus he just lost about 200 mercenaries in Syria. That had to hurt, whether he knew they were there or not.

Offline edpc

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 04:46:16 pm »
Plus he just lost about 200 mercenaries in Syria. That had to hurt, whether he knew they were there or not.

I don't doubt he did know.

Prigozhin is known to have close ties with Putin, and it is unlikely that he works without the permission of Russia’s most powerful man.

http://www.newsweek.com/putins-chef-ordered-russian-mercenaries-attack-us-troops-syria-report-claims-817647

Online GtHawk

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 05:03:23 pm »
@GtHawk Isn't that the Jupiter II?
No, that's the man killer saucer from Matt Helm, any man caught inside its magnetic field dies a horrible death. Cheesy, but the Matt Helm movies never pretended to be anything else, just Dino, a lot of really pretty women and plots you drive a Mack truck thru.
@Wingnut
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 12:08:51 am by GtHawk »

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 06:39:59 pm »
Matthew Champion @matthewchampion
8 hours ago

Putin: "Russia has developed an unstoppable nuclear missile."

Trump, 24 hours later: "Alex Baldwin is bad!"

Offline edpc

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 07:03:23 pm »
Matthew Champion @matthewchampion
8 hours ago

Putin: "Russia has developed an unstoppable nuclear missile."

Trump, 24 hours later: "Alex Baldwin is bad!"

‘Dieing mediocre career.’  I had no idea Alec was an average machinist.

If you are dieing something, you are cutting or stamping it with a die, which is a device used for cutting, forming, or engraving metals. It is a process used in machining, and your local town may even have a “tool and die shop,” which would make extensive use of the process.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 07:09:59 pm »
No, that's the man killer saucer from Matt Helm, any many caught inside its magnetic field dies a horrible death. Cheesy, but the Matt Helm movies never pretended to be anything else, just Dino, a lot of really pretty women and plots you drive a Mack truck thru.
@Wingnut

It's funny I watched the "In Like Flint" "Our Man Flint" ones but never Matt Helm!..
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online GtHawk

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 12:30:02 am »
It's funny I watched the "In Like Flint" "Our Man Flint" ones but never Matt Helm!..
@Wingnut
The Flint ones are just as bad, With Derek talking with dolphins , they must have paid Coburn a bundle to do that scene!

! No longer available

Flint had pretty girls but Matt Helm had beautiful women. If your in the mood for something ridiculous and eye candy, watch the Matt Helm movies.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 07:25:26 am »

‘Dieing mediocre career.’  I had no idea Alec was an average machinist.

If you are dieing something, you are cutting or stamping it with a die, which is a device used for cutting, forming, or engraving metals. It is a process used in machining, and your local town may even have a “tool and die shop,” which would make extensive use of the process.

Bad you!  But that is certainly very funny.  I am pretty sure it was not a typo nor an "Otto-Cowrecked," either.  LOL!
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 08:13:36 am »
I'm not impressed by his bravado but even the USSR's 80's nuclear tech was/is more than capable to turning a lot of places in the USA to glass....  so if they have that capability .....:shrug:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 04:33:19 pm »
Russia is peeved by the way there mercenaries were slaughtered is what I can tell.

There is a story that said this morning, some contest was held at what to call their new weapons and the winning entry was "Adios America";  There's a lot of irritating and agitating information, articles and stories on all of this. Putin is talking more of the way, that Kim Jong-Un talks or even some of Iran's leaders, my concern is when we get all of these people ganging up on us.

Bloomberg:

Why Putin Is Rattling His Superweapons
@Bershidsky More stories by Leonid Bershidsky
He wants respect, but he'll end up getting an arms race Russia can't win.
March 2, 2018, 11:18 AM CST

Russian President Vladimir Putin's surprise dissertation on Russia's new strategic weaponry, attached to Thursday's state of the nation address, mixed some well-known technological advances with a few genuine revelations. But the technical specifics are perhaps less important than the message Putin sent to the U.S.: The cost of a conventional war remains far too high.

Putin's big point was that Russian nukes have myriad ways to penetrate U.S. missile shields, and will have many more before too long. The nuclear-capable hardware the Russian leader advertised with computer-generated videos can be ranged from the well-known and combat-ready to the iffy.

Read more at: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-03-02/putin-nuclear-revelations-ring-hollow

Leonid Bershidsky, another article was posted by him recently.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 04:33:45 pm by TomSea »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 07:07:15 pm »
Russia is peeved by the way there mercenaries were slaughtered is what I can tell.
"Slaughtered"?  You do know know they attacked our troops?

Offline edpc

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2018, 07:23:17 pm »

Yes, they tried to advance on one of our positions there and got a beat down.  There have been other incidents where Russian mercenaries have supported operations and been caught in coalition air strikes.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/14/585653555/dozens-of-russian-mercenaries-reportedly-killed-in-u-s-airstrikes-in-syria

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 08:10:38 pm »

See the 2nd definition, Merriam Webster:

slaughter

1 : the act of killing; specifically : the butchering of livestock for market
2 : killing of great numbers of human beings (as in battle or a massacre) : carnage
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slaughter

I see nowhere does it talk about the intent of the party, the guilt of innocence of one party, etc. Just the killing of a great number of persons.

Definition of slaughter
2 : killing of great numbers of human beings (as in battle or a massacre) : carnage

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2018, 08:22:01 pm »
See the 2nd definition, Merriam Webster:

I see nowhere does it talk about the intent of the party, the guilt of innocence of one party, etc. Just the killing of a great number of persons.

Definition of slaughter

Ah,  but the inherent meaning is to cause the death of unwitting or innocent victims.