Author Topic: 'Unprecedented' Native American burial site discovered in Gulf of Mexico off Florida  (Read 742 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
A Native American burial site hidden for 7,000 years beneath the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Florida has been unearthed in what archaeologists are calling an "unprecedented" discovery.

Florida Secretary of State, Ken Detzner, said in a news release on Wednesday the unmarked site near Venice, which measures roughly 0.75 acres, was first discovered by a diver in June 2016, who then reported possible human remains on the continental shelf to the Bureau of Archaeological Research.

"Our dedicated team of underwater archaeologists has done an incredible job of documenting and researching the Manasota Key Offshore archaeological site, and I am extremely proud of the work," Detzner said in a statement. "Our hope is that this discovery leads to more knowledge and a greater understanding of Florida’s early peoples."

[excerpted]

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/02/28/unprecedented-native-american-burial-site-discovered-in-gulf-mexico-off-florida.html

Comments alone are worth the read... 
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline thackney

...Researchers believe during that time period, when sea levels were lower, the indigenous people of Florida buried their family members at the site. As sea levels eventually rose, the pond was covered by the Gulf of Mexico but the peat bottom of the pond remained intact....

Wait, how did the sea levels rise without coal power plants and SUVs?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline RoosGirl

A 3/4 acre, 7,000 year old Indian grave site will now become a 100 acre state park that cannot longer be fished within.

Offline the_doc

Wait, how did the sea levels rise without coal power plants and SUVs?

Your question is remarkably perspicacious.  The Native Americans obviously did have coal power plants and SUVs.  We just haven't found them.

(Actually, I just wanted to say perspicacious.

Offline musiclady

A 3/4 acre, 7,000 year old Indian grave site will now become a 100 acre state park that cannot longer be fished within.

Actually, I have no problem with treating a burial ground with respect.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline RoosGirl

Actually, I have no problem with treating a burial ground with respect.

I do when no one has known about it for the last 7,000 years.

Offline musiclady

I do when no one has known about it for the last 7,000 years.

Point well taken.

But Native American culture looks differently at those things than we do, so I tend to be more deferential than most conservatives.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.