Author Topic: Republicans Gobsmacked by Trump's Gun Control Comments  (Read 217 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Republicans Gobsmacked by Trump's Gun Control Comments
« on: March 01, 2018, 03:21:41 am »
The president suggested gun confiscation could come before due process in a televised bipartisan meeting with members of Congress
By Haley Byrd
http://www.weeklystandard.com/republicans-gobsmacked-by-trumps-gun-control-comments/article/2011767

During a televised bipartisan meeting to discuss gun control proposals with members of Congress on Wednesday, President Donald Trump split with conventional Republican wisdom and suggested that guns be confiscated from individuals who could pose safety threats before due process is carried out under the law.

Nebraska Republican Ben Sasse issued a statement rebuking those comments Wednesday night. “We’re not ditching any Constitutional protections simply because the last person the president talked to today doesn’t like them,” Sasse wrote.

Other Republican senators mostly distanced themselves from Trump’s statement . . .

. . . [Some] argued that such a move by law enforcement would encroach upon constitutional rights. “I don’t ever believe there’s a time in this country where due process can be dismissed, period,” North Carolina Republican Thom Tillis told reporters. He suggested that Trump may not be familiar with the law—“he’s not a legal scholar”—and that he might not have meant what he said.

“I don't think that he was saying that there's a place where you suspend the Constitution and suspend due process. I just don't believe that," said Tillis. "I know you heard the words. I just don't believe in my heart of hearts that's exactly what he meant."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--EA.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 03:24:50 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.