Author Topic: House GOP rejects calls for new gun legislation  (Read 289 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

House GOP rejects calls for new gun legislation
« on: February 28, 2018, 02:51:29 pm »
House GOP rejects calls for new gun legislation
The Hill, Feb 27, 2018, Melanie Zanona

House Republicans brushed aside calls for stricter gun laws on Tuesday, signaling they want to focus on school security and figuring out why law enforcement failed to act on repeated warnings about the suspect in a mass shooting at a Florida high school this month.

At his weekly leadership news conference, Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said the House had already acted on a bill to strengthen federal criminal background checks for gun purchases. And he suggested the House would not vote on legislation by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and Rep. Ted Deutch (D-Fla.) that would ban assault weapons.

“We shouldn’t be banning guns from law-abiding citizens,” Ryan said at a news conference. “We should be focusing on making sure that citizens who should not get guns in the first place don’t get those guns.”  President Trump has backed a wide range of gun proposals following the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., that left 17 people dead.

More: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/375928-house-gop-rejects-calls-for-new-gun-legislation

Offline bilo

Re: House GOP rejects calls for new gun legislation
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 06:15:53 pm »
House Republicans brushed aside calls for stricter gun laws on Tuesday, signaling they want to focus on school security and figuring out why law enforcement failed to act on repeated warnings about the suspect in a mass shooting at a Florida high school this month.

I'm glad someone is acting rationally. I would also like to see an effort made to fix the problems with various govt agencies not entering information into the data base for background checks.

One thing we should all learn from Parkland is why it is so important for us to take charge of our self defense. There are a lot of of really good police officers, but they almost always show up after the fact. I for one want to at least have a chance to fight back.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 06:16:38 pm by bilo »
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home