Author Topic: Ben Carson spent $31K on dining set for his office  (Read 1134 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ben Carson spent $31K on dining set for his office
« on: February 27, 2018, 11:49:42 pm »
Ben Carson spent $31K on dining set for his office
By Brett Samuels - 02/27/18 06:31 PM EST

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) spent $31,000 late last year on a new dining room set for Secretary Ben Carson’s office, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

The purchase included a custom hardwood table, chairs and a hutch. Officials bought the furniture a short time after a HUD staff member filed a complaint that Carson’s wife, Candy, pushed to redecorate the department’s offices.

Helen Foster, who filed the whistle-blower complaint, claimed she was replaced in her role because she refused to fund a redecoration of Carson’s office. She alleged in the complaint that she was told to “find money” for the redecoration, despite it exceeding budgetary limits.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/375908-ben-carson-spent-31k-on-dining-set-for-his-office
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Ben Carson spent $31K on dining set for his office
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 11:52:58 pm »
Damn him.  I told him Hookers and Booze. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 11:53:00 pm »
Is the chair upholstery covered in plastic?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 12:02:50 am »
Carson should be removed, as in kicked out, of office.  How could anyone use US money for that?  He has no thought of taxpayer money - it isn't his, so he spends it.  I am astounded at this.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 12:11:50 am »
Carson should be removed, as in kicked out, of office.  How could anyone use US money for that?  He has no thought of taxpayer money - it isn't his, so he spends it.  I am astounded at this.

His dishonesty became evident during the campaign.   This comes as no surprise.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 12:27:29 am »
If I ever get a government job, I'm going to create my own HUD, with Hookers and Blackjack.

Offline ABX

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 12:27:57 am »
Damn him.  I told him Hookers and Booze.

LOL.. I should have read the other comments..

Offline ABX

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 12:31:29 am »

Before we are too rash, many of these offices in historic buildings in DC, especially White House and Capitol Building, have very strict standards in place set by various historic commissions. They may have had a short list of options and suppliers to choose from.  For example, the President spends about $1-$2 Million in decorating the Oval Office and a few other rooms in the White House (not counting the personal quarters). It adds up fast when you have a supplier short list and very strict standards.

Personally I would have left well enough alone and just stuck with what was there, but we don't know the full story.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 12:38:36 am »
I don't know what gets into people once they hold office...using gov planes for personal travel, redecorating their offices etc...who do they think is paying for all this.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 12:39:48 am »
If the dining set stays with his department ... who really cares.

Offline endicom

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 12:41:09 am »
The...GASP!...NYT did a better job of reporting: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/27/us/ben-carson-hud-furniture.html

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 12:42:20 am »
Is the chair upholstery covered in plastic?

Do you have friends of color" @edpc

I only ask because I attended a diversity college were I was a minority.  My roommate suggested I drive him home one weekend. I agreed to his demands and drove him home to East St Louis Illinois. I'm sure Belleville/ESL was a beautiful town back in the 1850's. ......  Not only was the furniture covered in zippered plastic but the whole interior of the house was shrink wrapped.   Sitting on that stuff was like having the walking farts... sitting down.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline edpc

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 12:49:19 am »
Do you have friends of color" @edpc

I only ask because I attended a diversity college were I was a minority.  My roommate suggested I drive him home one weekend. I agreed to his demands and drove him home to East St Louis Illinois. I'm sure Belleville/ESL was a beautiful town back in the 1850's. ......  Not only was the furniture covered in zippered plastic but the whole interior of the house was shrink wrapped.   Sitting on that stuff was like having the walking farts... sitting down.

Grew up a military brat, so my friends covered the spectrum.  We were Benetton before it was a thing.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 12:50:55 am »
If the dining set stays with his department ... who really cares.

Because if the redecoration exceeds $5K, it requires approval of Congress.  From the link in the OP:

The Times noted that federal law requires approval from lawmakers “to furnish or redecorate the office of a department head” if it exceeds $5,000.

This is why the whistleblower resisted these expenses.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 12:55:34 am »
Because if the redecoration exceeds $5K, it requires approval of Congress.  From the link in the OP:

This is why the whistleblower resisted these expenses.

The Law?

"Where this Administration's going, we don't need the law!"
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 03:55:37 am »
Dining room cost a fortune, but it is really pimp!

Offline corbe

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 04:28:35 am »
Spokesman falsely denied expensive table had been bought for Ben Carson
The Guardian

Jon Swaine in New York and Ben Jacobs in Washington
1 hr ago

Ben Carson, the secretary for housing and urban development, has gained a $31,000 table but lost a senior official who refused to authorise its purchase.© AP Ben Carson, the secretary for housing and urban development, has gained a $31,000 table but lost a senior official who refused to authorise its purchase. 

A spokesman for Donald Trump’s department of housing and urban development (Hud) falsely denied that an expensive dining table had been purchased for Ben Carson’s office.

Raffi Williams told the Guardian in an email last Friday it was “inaccurate” to say that a new dining table had been bought for Hud secretary’s suite at the department’s Washington headquarters.

However, Williams confirmed the purchase to the New York Times on Tuesday after the Guardian broke the story that a senior Hud official alleged that she was demoted after refusing to break a $5,000 spending limit for improvements to Carson’s office.

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/spokesman-falsely-denied-expensive-table-had-been-bought-for-ben-carson/ar-BBJGciE?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 05:04:43 am »
The Guardian

1 hr ago

Ben Carson, the secretary for housing and urban development, has gained a $31,000 table but lost a senior official who refused to authorise its purchase.© AP Ben Carson, the secretary for housing and urban development, has gained a $31,000 table but lost a senior official who refused to authorise its purchase. 

A spokesman for Donald Trump’s department of housing and urban development (Hud) falsely denied that an expensive dining table had been purchased for Ben Carson’s office.

Raffi Williams told the Guardian in an email last Friday it was “inaccurate” to say that a new dining table had been bought for Hud secretary’s suite at the department’s Washington headquarters.

However, Williams confirmed the purchase to the New York Times on Tuesday after the Guardian broke the story that a senior Hud official alleged that she was demoted after refusing to break a $5,000 spending limit for improvements to Carson’s office.

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/spokesman-falsely-denied-expensive-table-had-been-bought-for-ben-carson/ar-BBJGciE?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp

...hmm...looks like the favor that Trump owed Carson for lying about Cruz paid off!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline edpc

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 05:14:50 am »

A false denial?  Don't they mean lie?

Offline thackney

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 01:03:14 pm »
The...GASP!...NYT did a better job of reporting: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/27/us/ben-carson-hud-furniture.html

Yes indeed they did.

...Mr. Williams said department officials did not request congressional approval because the dining set served a “building-wide need.” The table is inside the secretary’s 10th-floor office suite.

The decision was made by a “career staffer” who selected the company, Sebree and Associates, which is based in Mr. Carson’s longtime hometown, Baltimore, from a list of preapproved federal contractors, Mr. Williams said.

Neither Mr. Carson nor his wife — who expressed a strong interest in sprucing up the drab, wood-paneled, 1960s-era secretary’s suite, according to several current and former department staff members — requested that the 50-year-old table be replaced, Mr. Williams said....

...“Secretary Carson, to the best of our knowledge, is the only secretary to go to the subbasement at his agency to select the furniture for his office,” Mr. Williams said.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:04:45 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 01:35:37 pm »
Dining room cost a fortune, but it is really pimp!

Hey, where is the shag rake?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 01:48:12 pm »

A false denial?  Don't they mean lie?

Only if the spokesman knew it was false.  The spokesman could have been lied to, or issued a denial without knowing the truth of the matter (not lying, but the worse attack on truth, bulls**t. See the charming little volume titled On Bulls**t by Harry G. Frankfurt on why bulls**t is a worse enemy of truth than lying).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:51:23 pm by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 03:20:53 pm »
The Guardian

1 hr ago

<..snip..>

Isn't Raffi Williams Juan Williams' son? 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 03:57:50 pm »

What should astound you is Hillary Clinton losing $6 billion at the State Department.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 04:22:34 pm »
What should astound you is Hillary Clinton losing $6 billion at the State Department.

Every time DJT or his cronies does something wrong, you throw the Hillary or some other left wing puke out there..  Yeah she's a bitch, but since when does two wrongs make a right?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.