Author Topic: CPAC is What Trumpism Is Doing to Conservatism  (Read 2545 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: CPAC is What Trumpism Is Doing to Conservatism
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2018, 08:42:25 pm »
I don't know if we'll ever see anyone do away with the massive spending part, if Reagan couldn't do it, who can?

Reagan is directly responsible for the 94 Congress - The closest we've come to a balanced budget in my lifetime.

I am still holding out hope on amnesty and gun control, with Trump.    What else do we have right now?

I don't deal in hope from a NYC liberal. I know better.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:42:48 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2018, 08:54:35 pm »
Forgive me @Jazzhead but I am having a difficult time believing you are concerned in any shape, manner or form for the survival and growth of either the GOP or the conservative movement.

So spill it ... how are you hoping a deeper split between the GOP and Conservatives helps move your liberal agenda forward?

(It'll be just between us  :cool: )

I have no "liberal agenda",  RIV.  I have been a Republican since the seventies and have the same right as you and everyone else to express my opinions on the issues of the day.   I do not subscribe to protectionism and nativism, and support (as a traditional conservative) a rational immigration policy that encourages economic growth and gets employers that talent they need to prosper.   And I abhor racism and bigotry, especially the kind where the bigots claim the imprimatur of Jesus Christ.   

If that makes me a "liberal", then so are millions of my fellow Republicans.   

Conservatives are part of the GOP.   As has been pointed out, to win at the national level the GOP needs to form a coalition of conservatives and sympathetic moderates and independents.  I have no "agenda" to split the GOP from the conservative movement.  And I am no different than Buckley in wanting the bigots the hell out of my party, because it sullies our reputation.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2018, 09:15:52 pm »
Conservatives are part of the GOP.   

No. They are not.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2018, 02:00:54 pm »
IIRC when Reagan lost to Ford by 57 delegates at the 1976 Convention he started planning for 1980 and one of the first places he went was the CPAC confab that year.

For many years that was the place to go for Conservatism and for principled Conservative and Constitutional law.

These days with the neo populism that passes for faux "Conservatism" Reagan wouldn't be allowed to get an invite much less a chance to speak.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2018, 02:01:37 pm »

No. They are not.

We haven't left the Republican Party...the Republican Party left us.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2018, 02:04:45 pm »

These days with the neo populism that passes for faux "Conservatism" Reagan wouldn't be allowed to get an invite much less a chance to speak.

He'd be booed just like Mona Charen. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 02:06:03 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2018, 02:05:42 pm »

Nice paraphrase of Reagan.  But Reagan had a place to go when he left the Dems.   You do not.   

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2018, 02:13:58 pm »
Nice paraphrase of Reagan.  But Reagan had a place to go when he left the Dems.   You do not.

You keep telling yourself that.  I'm sure you and the rest of your buddies in the DNC actually believe that.

History has proven the folly of thinking like yours...much to the detriment of the people thinking that.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2018, 02:17:14 pm »
Politics as practiced on the national level in the USA requires putting together a coalition of interests sufficient to win a plurality of electoral votes.  The coalition  that George W. Bush put together was made up of groups that were shrinking demographically, and could no longer sustain a GOP national candidate.  Trump was able hold together the GWB coalition, and add one new group to it, namely disaffected working class males in the industrial heartland.

The problem is that it puts conservatives at odds over two key issues: immigration and protectionism.  For the most part, the open borders conservatives have stayed with the party because Trump is instinctively pro-business and pro-freedom.  I doubt that too many open border conservatives care about the wall and greater enforcement of immigration laws, but they do care about erecting trade barriers,  and if the Trump administration gets aggressive in this area, there will be a serious rift in the movement. So far that hasn't happened.

The bottom line is that a pro-life, pro-constitution party cannot be big enough in the modern era to accumulate a majority.  McCain and Romney demonstrated that.  The tent needed to be bigger, and the lowest hanging fruit was the disaffected white, working class male.  The fact that a New York billionaire was able to reel that group into the fold, right under the noses of the union bosses who assured Hillary the vote was "locked in," was an amazing feat.

Trump's next big achievement may well be wresting some of the African American vote away from the Democrats.  This is a big fear in Dem circles.

:beer:   QFT!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline endicom

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2018, 02:33:42 pm »
"...CPAC – the annual conference of conservatives that has become increasingly less conservative every year."

Then the problem is obviously not "Trumpism," schmuck Heck.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2018, 02:41:12 pm »

Where else are they gonna go?

Already gone.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2018, 02:43:39 pm »

YUP. They need to go the way of the Whigs, and it can't happen soon enough.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2018, 03:01:24 pm »
YUP. They need to go the way of the Whigs, and it can't happen soon enough.

Yup the Whigs had the same attitude of "where are they gonna go" toward the newly formed Republican Party and look where it got them.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2018, 03:11:10 pm »
You keep telling yourself that.  I'm sure you and the rest of your buddies in the DNC actually believe that.

History has proven the folly of thinking like yours...much to the detriment of the people thinking that.

It is your choice to render yourself politically irrelevant.  Any conservative who wants to actually exercise political influence, instead of merely flapping his or her gums on the internet, must do so through the vehicle of the Republican party.   There is zero chance of a conservative third party emerging.  Zero.   If a third party ever does emerge, it will be a centrist alternative to the increasingly radicalized major parties. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2018, 03:12:10 pm »

Already gone.

Then stay gone.  Be self-satisfied, and irrelevant.   One less fool to deal with.   

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2018, 03:26:59 pm »
It is your choice to render yourself politically irrelevant.  Any conservative who wants to actually exercise political influence, instead of merely flapping his or her gums on the internet, must do so through the vehicle of the Republican party.   There is zero chance of a conservative third party emerging.  Zero.   If a third party ever does emerge, it will be a centrist alternative to the increasingly radicalized major parties.

You keep telling yourself that.  History proves that your arrogant world view has been proven demonstrably false and littered with fools like yourself who arrogantly sniffed at the possibility that a new political party could ever come along and dislodge the establishment from their rooted positions of power.

Sic transit gloria mundi...all glory is fleeting.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2018, 03:57:17 pm »
You keep telling yourself that.  History proves that your arrogant world view has been proven demonstrably false and littered with fools like yourself who arrogantly sniffed at the possibility that a new political party could ever come along and dislodge the establishment from their rooted positions of power.

Sic transit gloria mundi...all glory is fleeting.

You and roamer:  two less fools to deal with. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2018, 04:16:53 pm »
It is your choice to render yourself politically irrelevant.  Any conservative who wants to actually exercise political influence, instead of merely flapping his or her gums on the internet, must do so through the vehicle of the Republican party.   

LOL! No.  Political influence is MONEY. That is the vehicle, not the Republican Party. The Republican Party is nothing more than a bumper sticker on the vehicle, and believe you me, it is easy to peel off a bumper sticker. It doesn't cause the vehicle any harm at all.

There is zero chance of a conservative third party emerging.  Zero.   If a third party ever does emerge, it will be a centrist alternative to the increasingly radicalized major parties.

There is NOTHING radicalized about the Republicans. They are the moderate left, and lukewarm. And in that, without any value at all. Just a 'kinder, gentler liberalism', doomed to be in the shadow of democrats, not having the balls to be anything or stand upon anything. You can keep em.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2018, 04:23:35 pm »
Then stay gone.  Be self-satisfied, and irrelevant.   One less fool to deal with.

Riiiight. Me AND my donor's list. You'd be surprised what this old redneck can do on the phone.
But you needn't worry. I won't be helping your party do anything. And I haven't since 07.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2018, 05:21:20 pm »
Riiiight. Me AND my donor's list. You'd be surprised what this old redneck can do on the phone.
But you needn't worry. I won't be helping your party do anything. And I haven't since 07.

If you haven't helped the GOP since 2007,  why should I even listen to you?  You've been politically irrelevant for a decade now.  Did you enjoy the Obama years?   You should; you enabled them.   

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2018, 05:27:14 pm »
If you haven't helped the GOP since 2007,  why should I even listen to you?  You've been politically irrelevant for a decade now.

really?  What exactly has the GOP done for the average American in the last 11 years.

Did you enjoy the Obama years?   You should; you enabled them.

Actually the GOP enabled them by going along with every single thing Obama did and in some cases worked directly with him behind the scenes to get Democrat legislation passed.

Your political myopathy prevents you from seeing that...your Liberal underpinnings prevent you from admitting it.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2018, 05:35:22 pm »
really?  What exactly has the GOP done for the average American in the last 11 years.

Got a nice little bump in my take-home pay this month - thanks, GOP!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2018, 05:38:40 pm »
It is your choice to render yourself politically irrelevant.  Any conservative who wants to actually exercise political influence, instead of merely flapping his or her gums on the internet, must do so through the vehicle of the Republican party.

25 years of doing that very thing has proven to be nothing more than practicing insanity.

An apostate party must be treated exactly like an apostate church: it must be left to itself to be consumed by its own follies while those true to principles follow what is right - even if everyone else is marching off the cliff to the Left.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2018, 05:46:12 pm »
Got a nice little bump in my take-home pay this month - thanks, GOP!

Yeah and the .25 cent a gallon gas tax being floated will erase all of that.

Don't spend it all in one place.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2018, 05:49:16 pm »
I have no "liberal agenda",  RIV.  I have been a Republican since the seventies and have the same right as you and everyone else to express my opinions on the issues of the day.   I do not subscribe to protectionism and nativism, and support (as a traditional conservative) a rational immigration policy that encourages economic growth and gets employers that talent they need to prosper.   And I abhor racism and bigotry, especially the kind where the bigots claim the imprimatur of Jesus Christ.   

If that makes me a "liberal", then so are millions of my fellow Republicans.   

Conservatives are part of the GOP.   As has been pointed out, to win at the national level the GOP needs to form a coalition of conservatives and sympathetic moderates and independents.  I have no "agenda" to split the GOP from the conservative movement.  And I am no different than Buckley in wanting the bigots the hell out of my party, because it sullies our reputation.   

Thanks for the thoughtful reply @Jazzhead    :beer: