Author Topic: In Blow To Trump, Supreme Court Won’t Hear Appeal Of DACA Ruling  (Read 1209 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
WASHINGTON — The U.S. Supreme Court declined Monday to hear the Trump administration's appeal of a federal judge's ruling that requires the government to keep the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program going.

Under a lower court order that remains in effect, the Department of Homeland Security must continue to accept applications to renew DACA status from the roughly 700,000 young people, known as Dreamers, who are currently enrolled. The administration's deadline of March 5, when it intended to shut the program down, is now largely meaningless.

In a brief order, the court said simply, "It is assumed the court of appeals will act expeditiously to decide this case."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/supreme-court-won-t-hear-daca-case-n851186
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 03:16:31 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: In Blow To Trump, Supreme Court Won’t Hear Appeal Of DACA Ruling
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 03:19:11 pm »
It doesn't mean they won't eventually.  They just won't bypass the Federal Appeals Court.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 03:24:20 pm »
It doesn't mean they won't eventually.  They just won't bypass the Federal Appeals Court.

Thanks to social media and most peoples' ridiculously short attention spans, headlines are less than utterly worthless these days. They're almost always intentionally deceptive.

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 03:37:12 pm »

I don't see them having to rule on this in the future as Trump has already offered them amnesty. The DEMS want to grant them amnesty for their votes, so now they just may take him up on his offer, leaving room for them to overturn any agreements on chain migration and the wall once they've got the 'dreamers' and their parents registered to vote.  Trump offering amnesty was WRONG and a mistake ... BIGLY!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 03:37:19 pm »
This isn't a blow to the Trump administration, it's an opportunity.    Congress can't or won't act,  and the task for the Administration is to get this off its plate so it doesn't remain an issue come November.   So accept the order - allow the 700,000 who came forward to continue to participate in the program, and shut it down for everyone else.   That allows Trump to paint himself as compassionate and fair to those who've stuck their necks out, and to pander to his base by keeping the program strictly limited to the 700,000, with no path to citizenship. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 03:47:29 pm »
BREAKING: Supreme Court Refuses To Reinstate DACA. That's Actually A Political Win For Trump. Here's Why.
 ByBen Shapiro
February 26, 2018
On Monday, the Supreme Court announced that it would not intervene to stay the lower court ruling temporarily blocking the implementation of President Trump’s termination of the Obama administration executive amnesty. Renewals of approximately 700,000 deportation waivers for illegal immigrants brought to the United States as children would have ended on March 5. Now, under the continued Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, those waivers will remain available. The Supreme Court did request that the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals “act expeditiously to decide this case.”   ...

Immigration activists are cheering the decision as a temporary stay of execution. And it is.

But the Supreme Court’s rejection is actually a win for the Trump administration politically, too. That’s because the Trump administration will not have to start deporting DREAMers – so no nasty headlines about Trump cruelty. And meanwhile, the Trump administration will be able to claim to its supporters that it did everything in its power to stop DACA, but was thwarted by Leftist courts. In essence, Trump will be able to leave DACA in place while claiming he’s attempted everything to stop DACA. That, of course, isn’t true. The Trump administration didn’t bother asking the Supreme Court for a temporary stay of the lower court’s ruling – good evidence that the administration doesn’t actually want to start deportations.   ...
More at Daily Wire
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online libertybele

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 04:09:46 pm »
That’s because the Trump administration will not have to start deporting DREAMers – so no nasty headlines about Trump cruelty. And meanwhile, the Trump administration will be able to claim to its supporters that it did everything in its power to stop DACA, but was thwarted by Leftist courts.

Ok...so things are pretty much back to square one ... the ONLY difference really is that now Trump's supporters and #Never Trumpers, the DEMS and Independents now know that Trump is actually FOR amnesty; one of the very issues that he strongly said he was against while campaigning.  No.  Trump and the American people lost BIGLY!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 04:10:09 pm by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 05:47:18 pm »

I think you're right.  I hope so.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 07:55:23 pm »
That’s because the Trump administration will not have to start deporting DREAMers – so no nasty headlines about Trump cruelty. And meanwhile, the Trump administration will be able to claim to its supporters that it did everything in its power to stop DACA, but was thwarted by Leftist courts.

Ok...so things are pretty much back to square one ... the ONLY difference really is that now Trump's supporters and #Never Trumpers, the DEMS and Independents now know that Trump is actually FOR amnesty; one of the very issues that he strongly said he was against while campaigning.  No.  Trump and the American people lost BIGLY!

You have lost your mind, he is not for amnesty. He is willing to trade a little bit of amnesty for a border wall and a whole lot of increased security....To include an end to chain migration. Without compromise, even on issues we care about, there is no governing for anyone. You seem to want dictatorship but fortunately that is not an option for President Trump.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 07:56:06 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline edpc

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 08:11:14 pm »
I think you're right.  I hope so.

Whatever happens in the appeals court, one side will petition SCOTUS over the decision.  I cannot see them not taking it on.  Without an actual law, it’s a clear question of Executive Constitutional authority.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 11:46:58 pm »
You have lost your mind, he is not for amnesty. He is willing to trade a little bit of amnesty for a border wall and a whole lot of increased security....To include an end to chain migration. Without compromise, even on issues we care about, there is no governing for anyone. You seem to want dictatorship but fortunately that is not an option for President Trump.

he is not for amnesty. He is willing to trade a little bit of amnesty for a border wall and a whole lot of increased security....To include an end to chain migration. Without compromise, even on issues we care about, there is no governing for anyone.

that is a well worded and strong opinion.  much clearer and more persuasive without the drama.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 12:21:38 am »
In Blow To Trump The Nation, Supreme Court Won’t Hear Appeal Of DACA Ruling

Yet.

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 12:26:06 am »
Supreme Court Refuses to Weigh into DACA Fight—for Now
Breitbart, Feb 26, 2018

WASHINGTON, DC – The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday denied the U.S. Department of Justice’s (DOJ’s) petition to decide whether the Trump administration’s decision to end Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) is permitted by federal law. But the Court also made clear that it was only denying DOJ’s extremely rare request to skip the federal appeals court that currently has the case, making it almost certain that the nation’s highest court will take up the case later this year.

President Barack Obama created DACA amnesty in 2012, then later expanded it into Deferred Action for the Parents of Americans (DAPA) in 2015. A federal appeals court struck down DAPA as illegal in 2015, and the Supreme Court deadlocked 4-4 on the issue when Justice Antonin Scalia died unexpectedly in 2016.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ made the legal judgment that the Fifth Circuit federal appeals court’s decision striking down DAPA also made DACA illegal. Once President Trump took office, his U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) followed Sessions’ advice, and ended DACA. DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen declared that her department did so because DACA is unconstitutional.

More: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/02/26/supreme-court-refuses-to-weigh-into-daca-fight-for-now/

Online libertybele

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 12:41:51 am »

What the heck have you been smokin'?  He may be willing to trade but the DEMS lie (yes, we've been over that issue numerous times.)  Border wall requires money -- new wall isn't in budget.  Chucky already backed away from agreeing to chain migration!!  As for a 'little' amnesty, (BTW you just admitted he is FOR amnesty) if I didn't know better I'd think you were pulling my leg.  Amnesty is amnesty!  1.3 MILLION and parents is appx. 2.6 MILLION -- I don't call that a small number by any means.  To sit and claim that Trump doesn't want amnesty is complete and utter nonsense!!!  His agreement to amnesty and a pathway to citizenship is exactly what he made public. Gee, I wonder why people are starting to call him "Amnesty Don"?   :rolling: :rolling:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 01:00:25 am »
There are four basic requirements.

1. DACA legal residency leading to citizenship in 12 years (same time frame as getting in the BACK of the line now.)
2. Wall funding
3. End chain migration of family members.
4. End lottery.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 01:10:46 am »

1. DACA legal residency leading to citizenship in 12 years (same time frame as getting in the BACK of the line now.)
2. Wall funding
4. End lottery.

Merit based is part of 3 and 4.

Offline edpc

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 01:13:26 am »

2. Wall funding
4. End lottery.

There are four basic problems. 

1.  They’ve jumped the line and flouted the law - some for decades.
2.  Wall funding must be guaranteed and up front.
3.  Chain migration won’t end, it will be scaled down.
4.  The lottery doesn’t work the way Trump has explained it.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 02:27:10 am »

There are four basic problems. 

1.  They’ve jumped the line and flouted the law - some for decades.
2.  Wall funding must be guaranteed and up front.
3.  Chain migration won’t end, it will be scaled down.
4.  The lottery doesn’t work the way Trump has explained it.

As a near lifetime resident of SoCal, I understand the subject quite well. That includes frustration, decades ago before the problems hit much of the country. Then instead of helping matters, Reagan did his amnesty.

I credit Trump for setting down sensible requirements. 

Please let me know when you expect to have 60 Senate votes for the version "true conservatives" favor.   
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 02:39:19 am »
As a near lifetime resident of SoCal, I understand the subject quite well. That includes frustration, decades ago before the problems hit much of the country. Then instead of helping matters, Reagan did his amnesty.

Please let me know when you expect to have 60 Senate votes for the version "true conservatives" favor.

When are they going to have 60 votes for amnesty?  All of the talk on border wall is just that, wonderful talk.  But GOP proposals are talking a little at a time.  One piece at a time wall.  Useless! by the time it is built it won't be America anymore.

I applaud @libertybele for posting the truth.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline edpc

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 02:39:20 am »

I had zero expectations of the usual suspects in DC.  However, I thought after Trump’s win, carried mostly people by people expecting results on immigration, he’d actually be serious about it.  He’s obviously not or he’d be pressuring them to do what he campaigned on.  Instead, he’s supporting incumbents who have no intentions of following through.  The swamp remains and people will say thank you for the bread when they’re handed a shit sandwich.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 12:15:36 am »

I had zero expectations of the usual suspects in DC.  However, I thought after Trump’s win, carried mostly people by people expecting results on immigration, he’d actually be serious about it.  He’s obviously not or he’d be pressuring them to do what he campaigned on.  Instead, he’s supporting incumbents who have no intentions of following through.  The swamp remains and people will say thank you for the bread when they’re handed a shit sandwich.

First, he IS pressuring them to do what he campaigned on.
Second, he's supporting incumbents who can actually win...not those who will run as staunch conservatives in moderate to liberal districts, and lose.
Third, related to "Second", we need more Republicans to win, not less...and that means in some centrist or left leaning seats the President MUST support more moderate candidates. Not doing so simply concedes the seat to the Dems...whereas holding a seat, means we have a moderate Republican who MAY be persuaded to join a 60 (or 51 with a rules change) vote majority on a key vote in the future.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline edpc

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 12:44:56 am »
Second, he's supporting incumbents who can actually win...not those who will run as staunch conservatives in moderate to liberal districts, and lose.
Third, related to "Second", we need more Republicans to win, not less...and that means in some centrist or left leaning seats the President MUST support more moderate candidates. Not doing so simply concedes the seat to the Dems...whereas holding a seat, means we have a moderate Republican who MAY be persuaded to join a 60 (or 51 with a rules change) vote majority on a key vote in the future.

First, your third point kind of contradicts the second, so pick one.

Second, he said he'd be supporting incumbents and whoever he has to protect, not just specific ones.  The exchange occurred at a press conference at Camp David just after the New Year.  Start at the 14:40 mark.

! No longer available

Finally, he is not pressuring them to do what he campaigned on.  The list is numerous, but let's just start with DACA being repealed on day one and deporting illegals, whether they were brought here as kids, or not.

! No longer available

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 01:22:54 am »
Locking up Hillary? Draining the Swamp? Building the Wall?  He is not pressuring anyone.  Pressure doesn't even enter into it.  If Trump wanted to expel illegals he already has the legislation to do it.  Reagan signed it in 87.  Is ICE raiding tacobells in Madison WI?  NO they are not.  Trump said "they gotta go."  Where are the stories of illegals being ripped out of their communities and families?  I'm not seeing them.  I'm seeing stories about drugdealers being deported.  Boo hoo.

Do you think the fake media is giving Trump a free ride on this one?  Is Trump deporting job stealing, welfare collecting, hospital clogging, disease spreading illegals but neither Trump or the media is reporting it?
Like Luther Strange and Roy Moore.
Who is "we?"
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:25:48 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Fantom

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 01:38:36 am »
This isn't a blow to the Trump administration, it's an opportunity.    Congress can't or won't act,  and the task for the Administration is to get this off its plate so it doesn't remain an issue come November.   So accept the order - allow the 700,000 who came forward to continue to participate in the program, and shut it down for everyone else.   That allows Trump to paint himself as compassionate and fair to those who've stuck their necks out, and to pander to his base by keeping the program strictly limited to the 700,000, with no path to citizenship.

Well, that is one way to look at it @Jazzhead .

However, For President Trump to accept this ruling would be to abdicate the Executive ... on the most farcical of duplicity. To wit: That a President can make a DACA order out of whole cloth... by Executive fiat... unConstitutionally I might add, and that teh next President cannot .. with the same wave of the hand(E.O) dispel such blatant nonsense.

No, my friend, I am afraid you will be having to endure yet another SCOTUS spankdown of the Nutzi 9th.

And SCOTUS called for it to be brought forth expeditiously. Which means next June..... 2019. Democrats/regressive left will have to endure a midterm favoring illegals over Americans.... how sad.

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 06:30:40 am »
@Mesaclone
Unfortunately, two crucial elements are missing from the list:
1) biometric entry and exit to check visa overstays
2) mandatory national e-verify to check all workers are actually authorized to work here

Without those two things, our immigration system will remain broken. 
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.