Author Topic: AFT against arming teachers as defense against mass shootings  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Applewood

AFT against arming teachers as defense against mass shootings
« on: February 23, 2018, 10:50:01 pm »
So now we know what's important to the teachers unions.  It's not the kids.

President Trump says teachers should be trained and given guns to protect schools against an active shooter. Some agree, but not the American Federation of Teachers.

One nation's largest teachers unions, the AFT strongly disagrees with the president, and its national President says arming teachers is a horrible idea.

Local AFT members also tell KRIS 6 News they do not think it is part of a teacher's job requirement to carry a gun in school, and they fear it could end up harming students.

"I can't imagine going to recess, bringing a gun with me," retired teacher Joan Salazar said.

Local members of the group came together to take a stand today against proposals to arm teachers.

"Why not put bullet proof vests on all children, where does it end? Our schools are not military fortresses," Corpus Christi AFT President Dr. Nancy Vera said.

Excerpt:  More at:

http://www.kristv.com/story/37571592/aft-against-arming-teachers-as-defense-against-mass-shootings

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: AFT against arming teachers as defense against mass shootings
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 10:57:58 pm »
Teacher Unions suck the life out of the schools and should be treated with the utmost disrespect.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 12:08:24 am »
So now we know what's important to the teachers unions.  It's not the kids.

Excerpt:  More at:

http://www.kristv.com/story/37571592/aft-against-arming-teachers-as-defense-against-mass-shootings

It's also not the truth.  Nobody is suggesting teachers be "ordered" to carry, and I wouldn't want reluctant people carrying.  This is only for teachers who are capable of giving a crap about the safety of the students.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 12:36:28 am »
It's also not the truth.  Nobody is suggesting teachers be "ordered" to carry, and I wouldn't want reluctant people carrying.  This is only for teachers who are capable of giving a crap about the safety of the students.

I wonder how the teachers that just went though the wringer at Parkland would vote...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 01:05:06 am »
I wonder how the teachers that just went though the wringer at Parkland would vote...

I don't think they would be reluctant carriers, @roamer_1.  Patton had something to say about this in his famous monologue.  "Reach out to your friend and find a handful of goo where his face used to be...You'll know what to do."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 01:07:14 am »
I don't think they would be reluctant carriers, @roamer_1.  Patton had something to say about this in his famous monologue.  "Reach out to your friend and find a handful of goo where his face used to be...You'll know what to do."

That's right. A whole lot of folks just got disabused of the notion that the cops can save em.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 01:10:46 am »
That's right. A whole lot of folks just got disabused of the notion that the cops can save em.

Meanwhile the MSM is screaming the exact opposite.  Well, eff 'em.  I just scored a delicious AR-15 for my birfday.  A Springfield Saint Edge.  Can't wait to get it to the range.
I will NOT comply.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 01:10:58 am »

War is a bloody, killing business. You’ve got to spill their blood, or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shoot them in the guts. When shells are hitting all around you and you wipe the dirt off your face and realize that instead of dirt it’s the blood and guts of what once was your best friend beside you, you’ll know what to do!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 01:13:00 am »
Meanwhile the MSM is screaming the exact opposite.  Well, eff 'em.  I just scored a delicious AR-15 for my birfday.  A Springfield Saint Edge.  Can't wait to get it to the range.

Yeah that's right, and I don't blame you one little bit!

888high58888

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 01:13:57 am »
War is a bloody, killing business. You’ve got to spill their blood, or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shoot them in the guts. When shells are hitting all around you and you wipe the dirt off your face and realize that instead of dirt it’s the blood and guts of what once was your best friend beside you, you’ll know what to do!

I feel sorry for those poor bastards up against us. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 01:17:31 am »
Yeah that's right, and I don't blame you one little bit!

888high58888

888high58888

I just think of all those rifles you and I have grown up with, and then I beheld this beast.  It's just not like any other I've had. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 01:20:19 am »
I feel sorry for those poor bastards up against us.

You can’t run an army without profanity; and it has to be eloquent profanity. An army without profanity couldn’t fight its way out of a piss-soaked paper bag.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 01:22:21 am »
You can’t run an army without profanity; and it has to be eloquent profanity. An army without profanity couldn’t fight its way out of a piss-soaked paper bag.

I'm not going to get you started, I promised.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 01:25:20 am »
There are 172 school districts in Texas that allow staff and/or board members to carry firearms on school premises, according to a statewide review of board policies by the Texas Association of School Boards.

http://www.caller.com/story/news/education/2018/02/22/texas-172-school-districts-allow-teachers-staff-armed/364677002/

Offline WingNot

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 01:26:34 am »
I'm not going to get you started, I promised.

Fine.  You may be thankful that twenty years from now when you are sitting by the fireplace with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what you did in the great War against the leftist gun grabbers, you WON’T have to cough, shift him to the other knee and say, “Well, your Granddaddy shoveled shit in Arizona.” No, Sir, you can look him straight in the eye and say, “Son, your Granddaddy rode with the Son-of-a-Goddamned-Bitch named Wingnut!”

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 01:28:41 am »
Fine.  You may be thankful that twenty years from now when you are sitting by the fireplace with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what you did in the great War against the leftist gun grabbers, you WON’T have to cough, shift him to the other knee and say, “Well, your Granddaddy shoveled shit in Arizona.” No, Sir, you can look him straight in the eye and say, “Son, your Granddaddy rode with the Son-of-a-Goddamned-Bitch named Wingnut!”

I already have that.  And my Grandson thinks I'm dead.
I will NOT comply.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 01:30:39 am »
I already have that.  And my Grandson thinks I'm dead.

Oh......  My bad!    :cool:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 01:32:27 am »
Oh......  My bad!    :cool:

It's OK.  I'm not the one who killed me.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 07:19:28 am »
If teachers get guns, do librarians get silencers?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 12:03:11 pm »
Teacher Unions suck the life out of the schools and should be treated with the utmost disrespect.

There is no place for 'Worker' unions in public service (education)...period.

WTF??   They already get 2 months vacation each year, plus about another 2 weeks in school closings for just the FORECAST of slick roads.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2018, 12:25:53 pm »
It'll be fine, as long as they're highly trained.  "I'm the only one professional enough....."

! No longer available
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 12:33:01 pm »
Good.

The last thing I want is these teachers unions with the power to rob me at gunpoint. They already rob enough people through property taxes and they still think they don't get enough.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2018, 01:46:13 pm »

Well there it is!  Absolute proof that arming teachers is the RIGHT thing to do!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien