Author Topic: The battle between the beef industry and Silicon Valley’s lab-grown meat startups is heating up  (Read 886 times)

Offline Suppressed

The battle between the beef industry and Silicon Valley’s lab-grown meat startups is heating up
Leanna Garfield   9 hours ago   
http://www.businessinsider.com/beef-companies-file-petition-against-lab-grown-meat-startups-2018-2

Flickr / Marc Dalmulder

• The US Cattlemen's Association (USCA) has filed a petition to the USDA arguing that lab-grown meat startups should not be able to call their products "meat," since they do not come from slaughtered animals.
  • Though so-called "cultured meat" products are not available in restaurants or supermarkets yet, a number of startups are attempting to make it more commercially feasible.
  • The debate will likely intensify.

For the first time, a major part of the US beef industry is taking aim at tech startups creating cultured meat — also known as lab-grown meat or clean meat — that's grown in a lab using animal cells.

The US Cattlemen's Association (USCA) has filed a 15-page petition to the USDA asking the agency to strictly define "meat" and "beef" as animals raised and slaughtered.

The group, comprised of farmers across the US, argues that lab-grown meat does not meet that definition, and that labeling cultured products as "meat" will confuse consumers.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online kevindavis007

Fake meat could good for deep space missions.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Gotta say I hope this passes. 
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Gotta say I hope this passes.
The lab grown beef or the battle? :whistle:

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Crazy thought.

You can label your "meat" as naturally grown or lab raised, and customers can choose.

If you lie, you are liable under existing laws against fraud.

No new laws, agencies, regulations, etc, necessary.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.