Author Topic: One hell of an impression  (Read 367 times)

Offline Suppressed

One hell of an impression
« on: February 23, 2018, 04:57:36 pm »
One hell of an impression
During a Greek holiday in 2002, a Polish paleontologist found what he thinks are the oldest human-like footprints in the world. Thus began a vicious fight over a discovery that raises new questions about our evolution.
By Emily Chung              February 23, 2018
https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform/human-footprints-greece

“I always carry — even on vacation — a hammer, a camera and a GPS,” he said.

So when he spotted an odd imprint in a rock along the beach, he was ready.

Gierlinski has studied dinosaur tracks and recognized the indentation as a footprint. And there were others. It was around noon, and the sunlight was too harsh to enable him to see the full details of the impressions — but he could immediately tell that they weren’t dinosaur tracks. He took a number of photographs of the imprints (including one with Piechik sitting on the rock). And, crucially, he captured the GPS co-ordinates, so he could find the place again.

[...]

He eventually brought in other experts from Poland, as well as from Sweden, Greece, the U.S. and England, to help him analyze the footprints and the sediments surrounding them. Together, they determined the tracks were left by ancient human relatives 5.6 million years ago. That would make them the oldest human-like footprints in the world — two million years older, in fact, than the oldest found in Africa, long considered the “cradle of humankind.”

[...]

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: One hell of an impression
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 05:04:18 pm »
The neighborhood kids did that in my freshly poured Sidewalk last week.  If I find the little heathens I will  tan their hides.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 05:14:02 pm »
Not Out of Africa, but instead Out of Greece?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 03:47:17 am »
Not Out of Africa, but instead Out of Greece?

No, Turkey is out of Greece.....