Author Topic: While Others Fight Over Guns, Ted Cruz Battles Ethanol  (Read 427 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

While Others Fight Over Guns, Ted Cruz Battles Ethanol
« on: February 22, 2018, 09:58:46 pm »

SOURCE: HOTAIR

URL: https://hotair.com/archives/2018/02/22/others-fight-guns-ted-cruz-battles-ethanol/

by Jazz Shaw

Texas Senator Ted Cruz was in Philadelphia yesterday, but he wasn’t there for the cheesesteaks. He was holding a rally at Philadelphia Energy Solutions, the owners of a major northeastern refinery which the EPA managed to bankrupt this winter. Arguing on behalf of those who are being put out of work because of EPA mandates, particularly the Renewable Fuel Standard, Cruz made the case for less government licensing and more flexibility in U.S. energy development, leaving some to wonder if this was actually a campaign stop for an upcoming election bid. (Dallas News)

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz led a rally Wednesday at a refinery in Philadelphia that declared bankruptcy a month ago, railing against “Wall Street speculators” profiting off the federal ethanol mandate and casting himself as a blue collar champion.

“We can save these jobs,” he promised. “This is about jobs…good union jobs, jobs that provide for your families, that provide for your kids….The working men and women in this country, you should have a federal government that is standing with you rather than fighting against you.”

The venue and timing of the town hall-style event were unusual. It wasn’t a campaign rally, though Cruz’s delivery, the packed tent, and the ovations that punctuated his remarks left a similar impression

The Washington Times reported on Cruz’s trip in advance and had some of his prepared comments. In particular, he’s highlighting the problems with the market which has grown around the sale and trade of Renewable Identification Numbers (RINs). This government generated scheme is what largely drove the Philadelphia refinery into bankruptcy.

(Excerpt) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: While Others Fight Over Guns, Ted Cruz Battles Ethanol
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 10:19:20 pm »
 Are other refineries heading for bankruptcy due to RINs?  Or just this one?

Why the bankruptcy? Is this refinery poorly managed, if others are surviving?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 02:55:51 am »
“We can save these jobs,” he promised. “This is about jobs…good union jobs"

Wow.  I can't believe I still get disappointed in these guys.

Online corbe

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 03:05:28 am »
   It's above my pay grade to understand what the hell my Senator is doing up there, giving this kind of speech, at this particular time, in the first place. 
   If it's about 2020, GO, Ted GO!!!!
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 03:09:31 am »
   It's above my pay grade to understand what the hell my Senator is doing up there, giving this kind of speech, at this particular time, in the first place. 

I am bewildered by this as well, although I agree with him about ethanol and EPA overreach.

Go, Ted !!
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 03:15:35 am »
Not 2020. He's running for re-election Now.

Online corbe

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 03:50:08 am »
    Re Election is in the bag, unless he gets caught with a live boy, dead girl or a Trump endorsement.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 05:07:29 am »
Not 2020. He's running for re-election Now.

Not sure I see the advantage in running against ethanol in Texas.  Maybe there's oil in Texas??
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 05:18:28 am »
Are other refineries heading for bankruptcy due to RINs?  Or just this one?

Why the bankruptcy? Is this refinery poorly managed, if others are surviving?

We have very few refineries and this one took a huge hit with all the EPA bullshit. All this nonsense with blended summer and winter gas doesn't do anything but make supply expensive and put a bunch of govt' cash into some hayseed farmers pockets in the midwest for a product that sucks all the way around.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 07:54:29 am »

Cruz is right on this issue. Nice to see him fighting turning food into fuel.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 02:32:56 pm »
Cruz is against all subsidies to the energy sector he says, that includes the "blend wall", the O & G industry actually back. I do agree with his stance on this.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 02:43:34 pm »
For our state...going after ethanol works two fold...it's not just helping out the oil industry...he's trying to help out ranchers and ultimately consumers in Texas as well as the rest of the country.

The economic environment for the livestock and poultry sector changed dramatically, starting in 2006.  In a few months, despite a record 2005 U.S. corn crop, feed costs more than doubled and feed price variability increased sharply.  From the spring of 2005 to the spring of 2008, the farm price of corn more than tripled.  Although other factors were contributors, the continuing double-digit growth in corn processing for ethanol was a major element behind the changed feed cost situation.  Current USDA projections indicate that from the 2004-05 corn marketing year to through August 31, 2009, demand for corn by the ethanol industry will have increased by 2.68 billion bushels.  That’s new competing demand that is equivalent to about 43% of the amount of corn fed to U.S. livestock and poultry in 2004-05. 

Feed costs typically have accounted for about 55 to 65 percent or more of the cost of producing livestock and poultry.  The exact percentage varies by species and may fluctuate slightly from year to year. With their largest cost category increasing dramatically, net returns for producers have been under pressure. 

From the 2004 through the 2008 crop marketing year, the increase in the corn usage for ethanol is an amount equal to 43 percent of the entire livestock and poultry corn usage during 2004/05.

https://www.agmrc.org/renewable-energy/ethanol/impact-of-ethanol-on-the-livestock-and-poultry-industry/

Ranchers are having to send smaller herds to the feed lots and it drives up the cost of beef.

Not to mention the Ethanol industry gets huge Government subsidies and that money could be better used elsewhere.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!