Author Topic: New York University issues public apology for 'racially insensitive' meal served during Black Histor  (Read 854 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

New York University issues public apology for 'racially insensitive' meal served during Black History Month
Independent/UK, Feb 22, 2018, Chelsea Ritschel

The school maintains it was not their choice

New York University has issued a public apology and fired their director of food service after students pointed out the watermelon-flavoured water and collard greens the school was serving during Black History Month were racially insensitive.

College of Arts and Science sophomore Nia Harris noticed the offensive meal when she walked into Weinstein Passport Dining Hall - before alerting the deans of the school and NYU’s President Hamilton of the insensitive and “stereotypical” meal.

In her letter, which she also shared on Facebook, Harris wrote: “It is with great sadness and frustration that I even have to send this email.”

More:  http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/new-york-university-apology-racially-insensitive-meal-black-history-month-a8223521.html

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I can't believe they fired the guy.   **nononono*

Online mountaineer

I once cooked for a campus dining service. For Black History Month we did a special meal of (I'm not kidding) fried chicken, ham hocks, greens, blackeyed peas and sweet potato pie. The black cooks took over the kitchen and used family recipes. They, the students,  and the rest of us cooks absolutely loved it, and we all had a great (and collegial) time.

I guess those days are over.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:51:08 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

Good thing he didn't serve them fried chicken, they might have lynched him.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:20:39 pm by Wingnut »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Was the cook named Hoppin’ John?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online goatprairie

Good thing he didn't serve them fried chicken, they might have lynched him.
It still amazes me that fried chicken is thought of as an exclusively black food. When i was growing up my favorite night of the week was when my mother made fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and usually corn for a vegetable (although technically corn is a grain and not a vegetable.) And chocolate pudding with whipped cream on top for dessert.  Yum, yum. 
And we white kids loved watermelon in the summer. In fact, when I was a Boy Scout, on overnights the scoutmasters would purloin a melon from farms we passed by.  I can reveal that great crime now more than fifty years after it happened. Besides, my scoutmaster died a month or two ago.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I once cooked for a campus dining service. For Black History Month we did a special meal of (I'm not kidding) fried chicken, ham hocks, greens, blackeyed peas and sweet potato pie. The black cooks took over the kitchen and used family recipes. They, the students,  and the rest of us cooks absolutely loved it, and we all had a great (and collegial) time.

They be over, yeah.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline roamer_1

It still amazes me that fried chicken is thought of as an exclusively black food. When i was growing up my favorite night of the week was when my mother made fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and usually corn for a vegetable (although technically corn is a grain and not a vegetable.) And chocolate pudding with whipped cream on top for dessert.  Yum, yum. 
And we white kids loved watermelon in the summer. In fact, when I was a Boy Scout, on overnights the scoutmasters would purloin a melon from farms we passed by.  I can reveal that great crime now more than fifty years after it happened. Besides, my scoutmaster died a month or two ago.

These people are morons. All of that is plain country fare, and every bit of it likely to be on my own table... Except collard greens, which I love, but they are not to be found at all up in here.

Offline roamer_1

And by the way, I know exactly how that works... And I have the rock salt pockmarks to prove it.

Offline andy58-in-nh

I love black southern cooking. Always have. That used be called appreciation before it became known as "appropriation", see, because back in the Dark Days we used to share our cultural heritages, not knowing that it somehow insulted people to show them that we really enjoyed their contributions to our common heritage.

Oh, well. I'm going to play some blues music now, or as the Leftists might say, engaging in an act of cultural appropriation by a white oppressor.

Uh oh. Did I say "Dark Days"? Here comes the mob...
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Cultural Marxism running rampant.

How in the hell can food be racially anything?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:40:39 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

I once cooked for a campus dining service. For Black History Month we did a special meal of (I'm not kidding) fried chicken, ham hocks, greens, blackeyed peas and sweet potato pie. 

Damn, I'm getting hungry.

Offline The_Reader_David

If he'd had the cover of black cooks using family recipes, he'd have probably been fine. 
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online mountaineer

I'm not going to lie: the best fried chicken I've ever had was prepared by African-American ladies on a few different occasions. They should be proud of their expertise in that area. My mother wouldn't even attempt it!

Remembering that dinner back at the college is making me hungry. I love collard greens and fried chicken.

Online goatprairie

I'm not going to lie: the best fried chicken I've ever had was prepared by African-American ladies on a few different occasions. They should be proud of their expertise in that area. My mother wouldn't even attempt it!

Remembering that dinner back at the college is making me hungry. I love collard greens and fried chicken.
I've tasted African-American prepared fried chicken, KFC and  a number of different commercial brands, and the local grocery store that makes an excellent fried chicken. My mother's fried chicken ranks with anyone's.
The weird thing is while she was great at fried chicken, she cooked the hell out of most other things, especially beef. Her hamburgers were hard as hockey pucks, and her roast beef had every last drop of moisture cooked out of it.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
What on earth is the watermelon-flavored water about???
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline WingNot

The Newspaper said The stores were all sold out of Jolly Ranchers.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

It was as close as they could get to sizzurp without actually serving it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/23/sizzurp-cough-syrup-drug/4793865/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:49:01 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline dfwgator

Can somebody please explain to me what's so damned racist about watermelon?  I never understood that.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
So drinking Jameson's on St. Paddy's Day is ethnically insensitive?   I though the whole point of an ethnic celebration was to eat and drink the celebrated culture's cuisine.     

Sheesh,  the petty grievance police are sure getting ridiculous.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline WingNot

So drinking Jameson's on St. Paddy's Day is ethnically insensitive?   I though the whole point of an ethnic celebration was to eat and drink the celebrated culture's cuisine.     

Next thing you know they will ban serving Taco's and Tequila on Cinco De Mayo!  Tecate anyone?

Online goatprairie

"I though the whole point of an ethnic celebration was to eat and drink the celebrated culture's cuisine."

No, that would be appropriating someone else's culture. But if you don't celebrate their culture, you are also a racist for ignoring them....got that?        22222frying pan

Online mountaineer

"I though the whole point of an ethnic celebration was to eat and drink the celebrated culture's cuisine."

No, that would be appropriating someone else's culture. But if you don't celebrate their culture, you are also a racist for ignoring them....got that?        22222frying pan

Offline WingNot

Yoda updated his meme.

There is no Do.  Do not, Nor Try to Do.