Author Topic: Add Democrats’ win in Kentucky to the growing evidence that they will have a good 2018  (Read 321 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

FROM Washington Post ^ | 02/22/2018 | by Amber Phillips

URL: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/02/21/add-democrats-win-in-kentucky-to-the-growing-evidence-that-they-will-have-a-good-2018/?utm_term=.475ee0035bc3

The clearest way to get a picture of how well Democrats are doing in 2018 is to go down the list of recent special state legislative elections:

* A Florida state legislative district that Donald Trump won by five points, according to data from liberal political blog Daily Kos, is now in the hands of Democrats, who won it by eight points this month.

* In January, Democrats flipped a Wisconsin state legislative district that Trump won by 20 points.

* A few weeks later, Democrats flipped a Missouri state legislative district that Trump won by nearly 30 points, for a swing of 31 points in one district in a little more than a year.

* And Tuesday night brought, perhaps, the most impressive win of all for Democrats: A Kentucky state legislative district that Trump won by nearly 50 points in November voted for a Democrat over a Republican, an extraordinary 86-point swing. Democrat Linda Belcher won back her old seat after her opponent committed suicide days after being accused of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old girl at the church he ran.

His wife announced a day after his death that she would run for his seat, but she failed to show up to candidate forums and is tied to some of the legal controversies in which her late husband was enmeshed.

The fact that a Democrat won a conservative Kentucky seat isn't necessarily a surprise. It comes amid a bona fide trend of Democrats winning state legislative elections deep in Republican territory this election cycle.

(Excerpt) Read more at  above link....

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
This was a widow v. widow special election to fill the remainder of the term for a Kentucky house member (Dan Johnson) from this area that committed suicide a couple months back...the day after an article came out accusing him of sexual molestation of a 17 year old girl.

Belcher took her husband's seat in 2008 after he died in a car crash.

There will more than likely be a rematch this fall in the mid terms.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline the_doc

Well, let's re-evaluate the Dems' prospects after Trump hits them with about 14,000 federal prosecutions.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Well, let's re-evaluate the Dems' prospects after Trump hits them with about 14,000 federal prosecutions.

All politics are local.  This is small town Shepherdsville/Bullitt County Kentucky.

What Trump does on a national level won't affect what happens there one bit either way.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline the_doc

All politics are local.  This is small town Shepherdsville/Bullitt County Kentucky.

What Trump does on a national level won't affect what happens there one bit either way.

You might be right, but I think a lot of ignorant but more-or-less patriotic Democrats in small towns are finally going to wake up to the fact that their beloved Democratic Party as a whole has become the party of TREASON.  I predict we will have old-fashioned military hangings in 2018.  If my forecast concerning the military tribunals (anticipated in 2018?) is correct, then the entire Democratic Party could be ruined forever before this coming November.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
You might be right, but I think a lot of ignorant but more-or-less patriotic Democrats in small towns are finally going to wake up to the fact that their beloved Democratic Party as a whole has become the party of TREASON.  I predict we will have old-fashioned military hangings in 2018.  If my forecast concerning the military tribunals (anticipated in 2018?) is correct, then the entire Democratic Party could be ruined forever before this coming November.

We'll see.  The same two candidates will more than likely face off again in November.

Offline Suppressed

@the_doc

If I were a betting man . . . one of us would be coughing up dough on December 31.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Dems can get excited about these local off brand elections if they want.  Truth is, people are too busy in their day to day lives to constantly show up for special election votes.  When I lived in OH, they tried to pass a school district levy increase during the normal election cycle.  It got crushed by a 2-1 margin.  They held a special election on it a few months later and it was narrowly defeated.  They held the election a third time two months after that and it finally passed by 100 votes.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline the_doc

@the_doc

If I were a betting man . . . one of us would be coughing up dough on December 31.

Ha, I'm glad that we can agree on that! 

Offline Frank Cannon

LOL. Well if the GOP fills all their slots with the widows of child molesters it might be a problem in November.

From where I see, all of these seats that the GOP lost so far were because their candidates were stinko. Legacies running on names and no substance. Cracked pot people with seedy backgrounds. Mumble mouth idiots who could barely formulate a thought.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Also note that these special elections can just as quickly flip back come the next election.

2011: Chris Lee resigns after his Craigslist dalliances are exposed. Jane Corwin, unpopular phone book heiress who sent a staffer to stage an assault and frame a third-party gadfly, loses to Democrat Kathy Hochul.

2012: Hochul promptly loses her seat to Chris Collins, who has held the seat ever since.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Dems can get excited about these local off brand elections if they want.  Truth is, people are too busy in their day to day lives to constantly show up for special election votes.  When I lived in OH, they tried to pass a school district levy increase during the normal election cycle.  It got crushed by a 2-1 margin.  They held a special election on it a few months later and it was narrowly defeated.  They held the election a third time two months after that and it finally passed by 100 votes.

And that is the key point. It's easy to bum rush your people there when the sum total votes is 5K. Doing that in a general is a whole different game.

Uber leftists are highly motivated right now. Problem is they are maybe 10% of the vote, not enough to win a general. Most of their victorious candidates are going to have to hold on to that seat in a little over 8 months, plus all the others the Dems have to defend with little money in their coffers.

Reps tend to dominate turnout in governor election cycles. Unless they royally screw up, Dems still have a long hill to climb.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 01:20:52 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

LOL. Well if the GOP fills all their slots with the widows of child molesters it might be a problem in November.

From where I see, all of these seats that the GOP lost so far were because their candidates were stinko. Legacies running on names and no substance. Cracked pot people with seedy backgrounds. Mumble mouth idiots who could barely formulate a thought.

Now the GOP truly is the Party of Trump.