Author Topic: Trump 'Strongly' Favors Imposing Online Sales Tax, Mnuchin Says  (Read 431 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
President Donald Trump “feels strongly” that the U.S. should impose a sales tax on purchases made over the Internet, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Thursday.

Mnuchin, speaking at a hearing before the House Ways and Means Committee, said he has spoken personally with Trump about the issue, and that the president “does feel strongly” that the tax should be applied...

http://fortune.com/2018/02/15/donald-trump-online-sales-tax/

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Trump 'Strongly' Favors Imposing Online Sales Tax, Mnuchin Says
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 01:22:11 am »

Most online merchants already apply sales taxes, of the states where they have facilities.

I hope he doesn't mean an additional federal sales tax.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 01:24:57 am »
Most online merchants already apply sales taxes, of the states where they have facilities.

I hope he doesn't mean an additional federal sales tax.

.....hmm... I was wondering the same things and I believe he has brought up raising the sales tax (I believe the gas tax); which would likely be a wash with any increase in wages.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 01:25:41 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 02:42:34 pm »
If we are to have an online sales tax, it should be calculated as follows:

Each state to publish the tax percentage for origination and another (possibly the same) for receiving.  The sales tax applied shall be the average of the two.  The origination tax rate comes from where the product is being shipped from, and the receiving is where the product is being delivered.  The tax collected is divided in to two equal payments and remitted to the appropriate state.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 02:52:10 pm »
If we are to have an online sales tax, it should be calculated as follows:

Each state to publish the tax percentage for origination and another (possibly the same) for receiving.  The sales tax applied shall be the average of the two.  The origination tax rate comes from where the product is being shipped from, and the receiving is where the product is being delivered.  The tax collected is divided in to two equal payments and remitted to the appropriate state.

Sales tax is destination-based, not source-based. 

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 03:48:51 pm »
Sales tax is destination-based, not source-based.

You misspelled 'taxation is theft' :)