Author Topic: Supplements are a $30 billion racket—here’s what experts actually recommend  (Read 605 times)

rangerrebew

Supplements are a $30 billion racket—here’s what experts actually recommend
From nutrients, delusions, and deadly scams, let's sort it out.

Beth Mole - 2/20/2018, 10:50 AM

There are more than 90,000 vitamin and dietary supplement products sold in the US. They come in pills, powders, drinks, and bars. And they all anticipate some better versions of ourselves—selves with sturdier bones, slimmer waist lines, heftier muscles, happier intestines, better sex lives, and more potent noggins. They foretell of diseases dodged and aging outrun.

On the whole, we believe them. Supplements are a $30 billion industry in the US. Recent surveys suggest that 52 percent of Americans take at least one supplement—and 10 percent take four or more. But should we? Are we healthier, smarter, stronger, or in any way better off because of these daily doses?

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/02/supplements-are-a-30-billion-racket-heres-what-experts-actually-recommend/

Offline Applewood

Well, I have to supplement my intake of iron, calcium and Vitamin D, principally because I have CKD and my kidneys don't process these nutrients very well.  Some people need them.  But if people are looking to these supplements as cure-alls, they are going to be disappointed and they could actually be doing themselves more harm than good. 

Offline endicom

No shark cartilage?

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Well, I have to supplement my intake of iron, calcium and Vitamin D, principally because I have CKD and my kidneys don't process these nutrients very well.  Some people need them.  But if people are looking to these supplements as cure-alls, they are going to be disappointed and they could actually be doing themselves more harm than good.
I take a potassium supplement ever since the nurse practitioner freaked at my low level and sent me to the ER " OH MY GOD YOU COULD DIE!" were her exact words  :silly: So I went and didn't die, oh well. I also take a daily multi vitamin but I don't expect it to do miracles and I buy store brand so it's relatively cheap.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
If by supplements, you mean B-vitamins and caffeine, yeah, I supplement. I certainly don't mega-dose, but I definitely feel better (and more sane) when I have more B12 in my system.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline goodwithagun

“Are we healthier, smarter, stronger, or in any way better off because of these daily doses?”

Are we healthier, smarter, stronger, or in any way better off because of FDA approved meds?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I am a Shaklee Distributor. We set the standard with premium nutrition, personal care, and homecare products. Helping make millions of people healthier while making the world a better place.

Buy the best. Forget the rest.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline roamer_1

Far, FAR better to get it from a natural diet.
I was dying, and taking buckets of medicines and supplements.

It was when I went back to real food that I began to turn around.

Offline Victoria33

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
The doctors and drug companies want a monopoly.

If you're gonna take something that will kill ya they want to make some money off it.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

Far, FAR better to get it from a natural diet.
I was dying, and taking buckets of medicines and supplements.

It was when I went back to real food that I began to turn around.

Real food with some supplements.  Food is medicine.

Offline roamer_1

The doctors and drug companies want a monopoly.

If you're gonna take something that will kill ya they want to make some money off it.

Some of the most potent medicines and forage-able foods are the ones you are spraying to keep out of your yard.  That should ought to be a clue.

Offline driftdiver

Some of the most potent medicines and forage-able foods are the ones you are spraying to keep out of your yard.  That should ought to be a clue.

I wish I knew more about them.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

The wildwood flower grew wild on the farm,  we never knowed what it was called.
Some said it was a flower and some said it was weed.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline roamer_1

Pretty easy to educate yourself on native meds and forage in your area. Around here, it is hillbilly culture and native cultures that hold that information.  I can't imagine you don't have your own comparable types...

Just the dandelion and the cattail... you would be amazed at what they can provide.