Author Topic: Florida superintendent: We don't need to arm teachers  (Read 481 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Florida superintendent: We don't need to arm teachers
« on: February 22, 2018, 02:26:16 am »
Florida superintendent: We don't need to arm teachers
By Brett Samuels - 02/21/18 08:51 PM EST

The head of the school district where 17 people were killed last week in a mass shooting pushed back on Wednesday against President Trump’s suggestion that arming teachers could to prevent future shootings.

“Some of the dialogue I’ve heard recently is about arming teachers. We don’t need to put guns in the hands of teachers,” Florida's Broward County superintendent Robert Runcie said, prompting raucous applause from the crowd.

“You know what we need? We need to arm our teachers with more money in their pocket,” he added, speaking on CNN ahead of a televised debate on reform needed to prevent future school shootings.

more
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/374992-florida-superintendent-we-dont-need-to-arm-teachers
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Florida superintendent: We don't need to arm teachers
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 02:33:06 am »
If anyone who wants a weapon is watching this joke of a meeting, you should probably take off work tomorrow and visit your local gun shop before the prices go through the roof.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 02:33:34 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline SkyKing

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 10:24:44 am »
They could end this guys job and give the savings to the teachers. Someone so idiotic shouldn't be in charge.
 22222frying pan

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 11:54:05 am »
They could end this guys job and give the savings to the teachers. Someone so idiotic shouldn't be in charge.
 22222frying pan

People applauded this idiot, and that's what is wrong here.  There are ways to deter such violence besides taking firearms away from law-abiding, non-violent citizens, but these people won't even consider them.  They won't be satisfied until firearms are banned.  That's what they are focused on here.  They really don't care about the kids' safety in spite of what they claim.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 12:09:07 pm »
What is missing in all the hysteria is some sane pol or talking head to cite the numbers of times average citizens use guns for self defense. Even if it's only one tenth of the claim by some people (two to three million times annually), citizens use them for legitimate self defense far more often than a nut goes off killing people.
No matter what feel good measures are taken, there will be senseless mass shootings/killings  in the future. It might not even be a gun.  Killers have discovered that motor vehicles work just fine in slaughtering innocents.
Leftists are determined to abolish or gut the 2nd amendment. They must be stopped.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 12:28:20 pm »
What is missing in all the hysteria is some sane pol or talking head to cite the numbers of times average citizens use guns for self defense. Even if it's only one tenth of the claim by some people (two to three million times annually), citizens use them for legitimate self defense far more often than a nut goes off killing people.
No matter what feel good measures are taken, there will be senseless mass shootings/killings  in the future. It might not even be a gun.  Killers have discovered that motor vehicles work just fine in slaughtering innocents.
Leftists are determined to abolish or gut the 2nd amendment. They must be stopped.

Thing is, you can cite facts and figures, or you can propose alternative solutions, but they will all be rejected.  I am surrounded by liberals in real life.  One of them still lives in the 1960s , peace and love, hippie generation.  Of course, she thinks guns should be outlawed.  So when I try to reason with her, tell her that banning guns won't solve the problem ad suggesting alternatives, she shuts me out.  These people are single-minded and you can't persuade them, no matter how hard you try.  Everything to them is emotional.  Reason and logic doesn't enter into the conversation.

Offline thackney

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:53:42 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 01:32:58 pm »
Well, not arming the teachers hasn't been working out so well.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 01:36:29 pm »

I heard raising teachers salaries will stop a bullet and protect students from a person hell bent on killing people in the school.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 01:46:01 pm »
Well, they should be put no-guns-allowed signs in front of the buildings. That always stops killers....a least two percent of the time. Just because 98% of mass shootings occur in gun free zones is no reason to stop using the signs.
 I hope i'm being sarcastic enough.