Author Topic: One of America's best marksmen on gun control: 'There's just no reason for assault rifles to be in t  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead

An AR15 is functionally the same as every other firearm not classified as a Class 3 firearm.   That means you pull the trigger one time and it shoots one time.

It's a semi-automatic.  It's a killing machine.   I don't want to ban it,  but I sure as hell want these things registered and insured.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline thackney

It's a semi-automatic. 

Like many hunting rifles.  But most hunting rifles are far more powerful than a typical AR15.

It's a killing machine.

But killing far less than other common items, like cars

I don't want to ban it,  but I sure as hell want these things registered and insured.

You just want to make it far more expensive so fewer people, particularly the poor, have the ability to defend themselves.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 04:07:07 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
It's a semi-automatic.  It's a killing machine.   I don't want to ban it,  but I sure as hell want these things registered and insured.

Hate speech.  Its offensive. You don't want to ban it, but you sure as hell will want government to regulate and restrict it.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline mountaineer

I own one of these. It also is a semi-auto and you might call it a killing machine (but you'd be laughed at greatly).

Marlin® Model 60 .22 LR Semiautomatic Rimfire Rifles
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
You're saying this biathlete doesn't understand firearms basics?

Why do you have to always bring  a person's sexual orientation into every discussion.   
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline skeeter

I'd rather have someone with an AR-15 after me than the same guy with an 82 year old M1 Garand.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I'd rather have someone with an AR-15 after me than the same guy with an 82 year old M1 Garand.

Or this 6 round, gate loading lever gun in .45-70 Govt.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 05:33:30 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Suppressed

We really should work harder at education.   Perhaps if more people understood firearm basics we wouldn't be punished with idiots like this guy.

What does he have wrong?  I don't know of any AR-15 that shoots .22LR with a bolt action or Fortner action.

Caliber and action are some of the most basics you can have for firearms, and they are definitely different.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline dfwgator

Why do you have to always bring  a person's sexual orientation into every discussion.   

:rolling:

Offline Suppressed

I own one of these. It also is a semi-auto and you might call it a killing machine (but you'd be laughed at greatly).

Marlin® Model 60 .22 LR Semiautomatic Rimfire Rifles

Different cartridge; different magazine.  Tubular magazine doesn't have the same effective ROF.

I don't want AR-15s banned nor registered, but let's be honest.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Different cartridge; different magazine.  Tubular magazine doesn't have the same effective ROF.

I don't want AR-15s banned nor registered, but let's be honest.

Well, if we are being honest, then we have to admit that rate of fire and magazine capacity does not guarantee casualties. James Holmes had an AR style weapon with a large drum magazine. It jammed.  That is a known issue with those types of feeding systems.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 05:59:20 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
So you're saying the AR -15 is especially useful to Cruz because it equalizes his abilities to kill as compared with a precision shooter?

Assuming Cruz could obtain a driver license by age 19 in Florida, and he could borrow, buy, rent or steal a motor vehicle.

He could have easily done his dirty deed, mowing down people with his motor vehicle. (Think Charlottesville, Paris, Berlin, etc)

So do we propose restricting or banning motor vehicles, so dangerous people can't get them?

We need dangerous people control, not dangerous object control.

Once police have been called to his home 20 times, do you take all of the vehicles in his vicinity, off the road?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln