Author Topic: Trump to take steps to ban bump stocks  (Read 13715 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: BREAKING: TRUMP DIRECTS SESSIONS TO BAN BUMP STOCKS
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2018, 10:25:36 am »
Come on.  Do you really believe that will make the kids safe?  These things happen because evil exists in the world.  If you could stop the demons in people's heads you could stop mass shootings.  In Sweden they had a school attack and people died.  The attacker wielded a sword and knives.  Well maybe not as many died.  But today it is bump stock.  Another day it is another kind of gun or weapon, or perhaps even with a ban another illegal gun with bump stock.  Laws don't stop demons.

QFT
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2018, 10:34:22 am »
QFT

The looney left have become quite experts on exploiting tragedy.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2018, 12:56:06 pm »
Everyone knew this was coming and yet no one has proposed a strategy to make the case for gun ownership that is not infringed upon is any shape, manner or form --- that also addresses the very real and very valid concern people have about the slaughter of innocents.

Sorry, but quoting the Constitution to a generation of Americans who haven't read it and certainly don't understand it is simply not enough.  It will not be successful.  Rights will be infringed --- even further than the smoke and mirror changes ordered by the President.

What's the plan?

There is no plan that ever was or ever will be conceived that can counteract the emotional response that people have, not in any significant way.  Besides that, we now have a supposedly most conservative POTUS evah that has signaled that bump stocks are really bad things.  You don't counteract that.  Thanks POTUS.

Offline thackney

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2018, 01:10:07 pm »
Many Americans will consider these steps rational and appropriate.  The onus is on gun owners to prove them wrong.

Has anyone seen discussion from the Administration how to handle the hundred thousand (complete guess, maybe off by a factor of 20) already legally purchased by Americans? 
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2018, 01:36:49 pm »
Up there with the uh.........    Adding a 25 cent gasoline tax is a conservative value crowd.  These orange fools just crack me up.

:silly:
Yes, the gs tax is one of the most regressive, and especially against populations which have no alternative to driving. Bad climates and rural people hardest hit.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: Trump to take steps to ban bump stocks
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2018, 01:46:08 pm »
White House on ‘Assault Weapons’ Ban: ‘We Haven’t Closed Doors on Any Front’

During Tuesday’s press briefing, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders was asked about a proposed “assault weapons” ban and said, “We haven’t closed the door on any front.”
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2018, 01:52:02 pm »
I don't disagree with you @roamer_1 ... But this sounds cold and irrational in light of the number of innocents killed in schools and clubs and at concerts.  People won't want to hear about "back in the day" --- they want their kids safe NOW. in THIS day. 

What's the plan?

The Second Amendment absolutists have no plan.   They want guns,  and they want them free of simple requirements of registration and insurance which are commonplace with respect to other useful but inherently dangerous implements. 

Trump's motivation is likely political.   He can see where the GOP's future is headed when, as appears inevitable, the community that demands answers to the senseless violence outnumbers the gun fetishists.   Banning bump stocks will solve little, but does present the illusion of "doing something".   Coming out in favor of gun violence restraining orders will likely do more, especially since responsible gun owners can see the value of such focused intervention.

But the current battle is political.   The Dems see the tide is turning after Las Vegas and Parkland.   The GOP needs to respond by rejecting absolutism and working to ensure that gun regulations are reasonable, limited and efficacious.     

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2018, 02:07:21 pm »
The First Amendment absolutists have no plan.   They want to say whatever they want, believe whatever they want, and they want to speak and communicate free of simple requirements for permission, regulation, and limits which are commonplace with respect to other useful but inherently dangerous ideas. 

The GOP needs to respond by rejecting absolutism and working to ensure that speech, press and religion regulations are reasonable, limited and efficacious.     

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2018, 02:34:49 pm »
What do we want? Tongue control! When do we want it? Now!

The First Amendment absolutists have no plan.   They want to say whatever they want, believe whatever they want, and they want to speak and communicate free of simple requirements for permission, regulation, and limits which are commonplace with respect to other useful but inherently dangerous ideas. 

The GOP needs to respond by rejecting absolutism and working to ensure that speech, press and religion regulations are reasonable, limited and efficacious.   

The Sixth Amendment absolutists have no plan. They want speedy and fair trial, they want an impartial jury, they want to hear their charges, they want to confront witnesses and accusers, and they want the assistance of lawyers during the process.

The GOP needs to respond by rejecting absolutism and working to ensure that the justice system assumes that the accused is guilty until proven innocent.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 02:37:47 pm by goodwithagun »
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2018, 02:43:11 pm »
Come on.  Do you really believe that will make the kids safe?  These things happen because evil exists in the world.  If you could stop the demons in people's heads you could stop mass shootings.In Sweden they had a school attack and people died.  The attacker wielded a sword and knives.  Well maybe not as many died.  But today it is bump stock.  Another day it is another kind of gun or weapon, or perhaps even with a ban another illegal gun with bump stock.  Laws don't stop demons.

All true @Chosen Daughter .

But the parents burying their children and the parents worried their children are next want a tangible change. If gun owners and Constitutionalists are going to rally around  the slogan: "laws don't stop demons", they're going down in defeat.   

I hope conservatives do not talk and talk, analyze, justify and wave the Constitution in one hand and a rifle in the other. Someone has to take the lead --- so maybe call your Congresscritters and demand an Action Plan to protect our children without taking away gun rights.  The key word  is "ACTION".

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2018, 02:50:54 pm »
Trump to take steps to ban bump stocks

One thing most of the world and the looney left does not understand.  The American psyche is unique.  As a people we do not like to be dictated too.  It's only been amost a 100 years since prohibition was passed, and we know how that worked out.  Politicians never learn I guess
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 02:56:38 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2018, 02:55:14 pm »
All true @Chosen Daughter .

But the parents burying their children and the parents worried their children are next want a tangible change. If gun owners and Constitutionalists are going to rally around  the slogan: "laws don't stop demons", they're going down in defeat.   

I hope conservatives do not talk and talk, analyze, justify and wave the Constitution in one hand and a rifle in the other. Someone has to take the lead --- so maybe call your Congresscritters and demand an Action Plan to protect our children without taking away gun rights.  The key word  is "ACTION".

@Right_in_Virginia
Thats already being done.

Adding armed security to schools is one thing.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2018, 02:58:11 pm »
But the current battle is political.   The Dems see the tide is turning after Las Vegas and Parkland.   The GOP needs to respond by rejecting absolutism and working to ensure that gun regulations are reasonable, limited and efficacious.     

@Jazzhead

The GOP also needs to take this moment to make some changes in law enforcement, including the FBI, security in schools, including ending the BS "gun free zones", the responsibilities and accountability of school boards, school administrators, teachers and parents. 

"Reasonable, limited and efficacious" changes to gun laws is one side of the coin and should be approached with extreme caution.  The other side of the coin is the identification of the threat before the shooting starts --- and the means and processes to address this needs to clear, efficacious and mandatory.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2018, 03:00:15 pm »
What do we want? Tongue control! When do we want it? Now!

The Sixth Amendment absolutists have no plan. They want speedy and fair trial, they want an impartial jury, they want to hear their charges, they want to confront witnesses and accusers, and they want the assistance of lawyers during the process.

The GOP needs to respond by rejecting absolutism and working to ensure that the justice system assumes that the accused is guilty until proven innocent.

Exactly.  When we can make one Right a government-granted privilege - they can make all of them privileges that can be granted, modified and rescinded on any whim.

And if you refuse to budge on surrendering those rights, why you are "selfish" and an "absolutist" and will eventually need to be eliminated.

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2018, 03:01:50 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia
Thats already being done.

Adding armed security to schools is one thing.

Good .. but it can't be one at a time throw this out and see if it sticks.

A complete plan is needed .... and communication strategies need to be coordinated and uniform.  I hope this is one of the outcomes from the President's meetings this week.

They're coming for the guns ... and if we don't get this right, now, this will be THE issue during the mid-terms and that's really too awful to think about before noon.   ^-^

Offline aligncare

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2018, 03:08:44 pm »
Banning a legally owned piece of equipment won't do anything to save children's lives or anyone else lives.

Our supposedly "most conservative President ever" just came down on the wrong side of the 2nd Amendment.

The average citizen can't get a concealed carry permit in New York City (and dozens of other cities), but the threat to the second amendment is about to land on us if bump stocks are banned? A bump stock ban, a device I never heard of till Las Vegas, is not a threat to the RKBA. That ship has sailed already.

If it helps Trump with soccer moms and helps us win the midterms I don’t give a whit if I can’t get a hold of a nice bump stock, a .50 caliber machine gun or a tank. I’ll just have to forgo those as being a bit of overkill here in the burbs.

A ban on bump stocks is meaningless. .

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2018, 03:10:08 pm »
One thing we can count on - a bump on banned stocks.  These things are probably flying off the shelves.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2018, 03:13:18 pm »
The average citizen can't get a concealed carry permit in New York City (and dozens of other cities), but the threat to the second amendment is about to land on us if bump stocks are banned? A bump stock ban, a device I never heard of till Las Vegas, is not a threat to the RKBA. That ship has sailed already.

If it helps Trump with soccer moms and helps us win the midterms I don’t give a whit if I can’t get a hold of a nice bump stock, a .50 caliber machine gun or a tank. I’ll just have to forgo those as being a bit of overkill here in the burbs.

Your vote might be for sale, but mine isn't.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2018, 03:15:01 pm »

QFT

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2018, 03:16:47 pm »
@Jazzhead

The GOP also needs to take this moment to make some changes in law enforcement, including the FBI, security in schools, including ending the BS "gun free zones", the responsibilities and accountability of school boards, school administrators, teachers and parents. 

"Reasonable, limited and efficacious" changes to gun laws is one side of the coin and should be approached with extreme caution.  The other side of the coin is the identification of the threat before the shooting starts --- and the means and processes to address this needs to clear, efficacious and mandatory.

I have no problem with any of that, @Right_in_Virginia

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2018, 03:20:30 pm »
A ban on bump stocks is meaningless.

Not really.  It shows a willingness to chip away at rights for political expediency.  What is the next thing to go after another incident?  All this does is embolden the anti-gun crowd.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2018, 03:24:08 pm »
The Second Amendment absolutists have no plan.   They want guns,  and they want them free of simple requirements of registration and insurance which are commonplace with respect to other useful but inherently dangerous implements. 

Trump's motivation is likely political.   He can see where the GOP's future is headed when, as appears inevitable, the community that demands answers to the senseless violence outnumbers the gun fetishists.   Banning bump stocks will solve little, but does present the illusion of "doing something".   Coming out in favor of gun violence restraining orders will likely do more, especially since responsible gun owners can see the value of such focused intervention.

Just tell me how registration and insurance would have prevented this.

Go for it.

Then peddle that bullshit elsewhere.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:24:47 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2018, 03:24:39 pm »

By that reckoning, is there a threat to the First Amendment if "hate speech" is banned?  You know, 'hate speech' - ideas that political folks don't approve of is not a threat to the RTFS.  Maybe that ship will sail shortly also.

I suppose if it helps Trump with elections, we shouldn't give a whit if we cannot write or say anything that criticizes politicians, certain classes of protected peoples or religious beliefs that are deemed to be hate.  You'll just have to forego those as being overkill.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2018, 03:34:52 pm »

@aligncare

No it's not.  It's a sign of things to come if people just stand idly by and allow this to happen.  If the left and the Federal Government can set limits on the rate of fire on a weapon...which is essentially what they're doing here...it's the proverbial camel's nose under the tent flap for them to begin to limit everything else and at a federal level and to violate the 2nd Amendment in ways that states are already doing when it comes to capacity...types of guns allowed to be sold in a particular state...bullet taxes...bullet types...gun registration...the list is endless.

Never mind the fact there are people that can fire semi-auto pistols and rifles at a faster rate than if a bump stock is employed.

As Justice Thomas has accurately pointed out...the 2nd Amendment has become the stepchild debate the SCOTUS doesn't want to touch and the lower courts have taken notice.

Which is why you see places like New York and California and a few other states wo wantonly violate the 2nd Amendment.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:35:49 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2018, 03:37:33 pm »

Not really.  It shows a willingness to chip away at rights for political expediency.  What is the next thing to go after another incident?  All this does is embolden the anti-gun crowd.

It takes a year and a background check up the wazoo to get a concealed carry permit in Dutchess County NY. If you need to carry because of an imminent threat, you’re as good as dead.

I stand by my statement. Post Parkland Florida, a bump stock ban would be both symbolic and meaningless. Look, a significant percentage of Americans are moderate voters and squishy libs. They need their meaningless symbolism, it comforts them. Who are we to deny these Americans and potential cross over voters?