Author Topic: Trump to take steps to ban bump stocks  (Read 13853 times)

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Re: BREAKING: TRUMP DIRECTS SESSIONS TO BAN BUMP STOCKS
« Reply #275 on: February 23, 2018, 09:32:06 pm »

HECK YEAH. What is the difference between selling a gun or any other thing? You are operating under the complete MYTH that you can prevent crime by preventing the criminal his resources. Absolutely a fairy tale.

In the end, bad men do bad things. You will find no succor until you admit that the only place to prevent him is in the actual commission of the crime.

The only defense there is is to defend yourself. That's it. And you are desperately trying to justify removing that ability.

@roamer_1
Should felons be allowed to own weapons?  What about the other sorts of "prohibited" people?  Do you think the current law should be repealed?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #276 on: February 23, 2018, 09:33:27 pm »
LOL! The criminal class doesn't buy guns from dealers now. There is absolutely ZERO deterrent involved at all. In fact, probably quite the other way. Underground manufacturing of arms and ammo will very quickly be seen as an opportunity, as will smuggling.

You can't stop the manufacture and distribution of drugs, nor stop trainloads of wetbacks, nor even touch the sales of stolen goods.

There is no deterrent AT ALL. except the one you are trying to take away.

@roamer_1  What deterrent am I trying to take away?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #277 on: February 23, 2018, 09:35:03 pm »
My local police dept. members, have agreed I should be more prepared to defend myself, my property and my property.

If the law enforcement pros advise that, what does it mean to me if a private citizen or government representative want to disarm me?

It means to me they have little or no regard for my safety. Obama, Hillary, Pelosi, etc.

I am not advocating disarmament.

Offline thackney

« Reply #278 on: February 23, 2018, 09:37:04 pm »
Nothing I am proposing would outlaw gun ownership or even restrict one's ability to buy the quantity and quality of guns he/she wants.

Do you think registration and insurance would be free?

The family living in poverty that would save for a year to be able spend $200 on a used revolver.  They want to be able to defend themselves in the bad neighbor they can afford to live in.  They wouldn't be restricted by the $50~$100 registration fee and $200~$500 annual insurance?

Or do only the financially secure have the right to self defense?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #279 on: February 23, 2018, 09:37:10 pm »
People aren't laws unto themselves.  Especially in a Constitutional Republic, where laws are enacted by the peoples' elected representatives and therefore carry the patina of legitimacy. 

Oh yeah they are.
See if you can talk the sheriff  here into enforcing your silly gambit and see how far you get.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #280 on: February 23, 2018, 09:39:13 pm »
@LauraTXNM
The monitor gun ads in places that sell guns, also gun shows.   

Its usually not about the hassle of a background check.  Background checks are a nothing burger.  The waiting period that people without a concealed permit have to comply with is annoying.

Its usually more about price and availability.

Thank you, @driftdiver!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #281 on: February 23, 2018, 09:40:36 pm »
I specifically said I was talking about the mentally ill shooters, who do currently buy their weapons legally.  My comment excluded criminals, who we know get guns from the black market already.

That's a fairly broad brush to paint with - I dare say there are plenty of deranged folks who know the street quite intimately.

And the insanity of registering all guns to keep the occasional looney from buying one is nothing short of knee-jerk, plastic banana, feel-good nonsense.

Offline thackney

« Reply #282 on: February 23, 2018, 09:42:28 pm »
@roamer_1
Should felons be allowed to own weapons?  What about the other sorts of "prohibited" people?  Do you think the current law should be repealed?

In many states, once they have served their sentence, and often additional time has past, Felons can own weapons.

Do you think a 18 year old that stole $501 dollars should have a lifetime ban on being able to defend themselves against thugs?

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #283 on: February 23, 2018, 09:43:52 pm »
That's a fairly broad brush to paint with - I dare say there are plenty of deranged folks who know the street quite intimately.

And the insanity of registering all guns to keep the occasional looney from buying one is nothing short of knee-jerk, plastic banana, feel-good nonsense.

I DID NOT SAY I WANTED TO REGISTER GUNS.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #284 on: February 23, 2018, 09:45:03 pm »
@roamer_1

Depends on the felon. I know plenty of good ol boys who had a wild ride back in the day, and wound up with a felony. Did their time and settled down. Good folks. Family men. So yeah, I have no problem with them being armed.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #285 on: February 23, 2018, 09:46:16 pm »
@roamer_1  What deterrent am I trying to take away?

Weapons from the hands of good men. That is where this always goes.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #286 on: February 23, 2018, 09:46:38 pm »
What is the purpose of your insurance idea? Why should anybody think "government" will perform better, than they did regarding this Florida example?

--FBI misses two warnings
--School authorities find no reason to issue warnings about him
--Local police respond to 39 calls, but never deal seriously with him
--School armed guard, cowers in the face of a big requirement

And Texas church shooting

--US Air Force fails to notify data bank, of the mass murderer's domestic violence?"

Taken together these failures, PLUS recently uncovered FBI corruption, prove citizens need to be armed now more than ever.

The purpose of the insurance idea is two-fold:  It's to make the cost prohibitive for low earners, but more importantly it requires registration, which is the true aim of the scheme.  We know where that path leads, despite all the left's protestations to the contrary.

They do like to go on about how the insurance can help defray the "societal costs" of firearms, but that's just SJW moral preening.  It's not really about the money.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #287 on: February 23, 2018, 09:48:29 pm »
I am not advocating disarmament.

And neither am I. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #288 on: February 23, 2018, 09:48:36 pm »
I DID NOT SAY I WANTED TO REGISTER GUNS.

What do you suppose this insurance gambit does? What do you think forcing all sales through a dealer does?

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #289 on: February 23, 2018, 09:49:07 pm »
In many states, once they have served their sentence, and often additional time has past, Felons can own weapons.

Do you think a 18 year old that stole $501 dollars should have a lifetime ban on being able to defend themselves against thugs?

Oops, my mistake.  I was looking at a list of restrictions from the NICS.  I know it's in flux around the country, but I thought some of the generally accepted results of a felony convictions were 1) no voting and 2) no weapons.  I don't actually have a problem with those consequences, but I'm willing to defer to everyone else on them.  Do you think "violent felons" should be able to regain their gun rights?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #290 on: February 23, 2018, 09:50:16 pm »

No, I don't.  Once the debt to the community is paid, full legal rights should be restored.  I'd even argue that the lifetime ban you suggest is unconstitutional, as an infringement on the natural right of self-defense. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #291 on: February 23, 2018, 09:51:51 pm »
What do you suppose this insurance gambit does? What do you think forcing all sales through a dealer does?

I'm the one who advocates registration.  If it's good enough for cars, it's good enough for guns.   And registration does NOT lead to confiscation.  That's a straw man.   

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #292 on: February 23, 2018, 09:52:16 pm »
I specifically said I was talking about the mentally ill shooters, who do currently buy their weapons legally.  My comment excluded criminals, who we know get guns from the black market already.
There is a wide spectrum "mental illnesses." What laws specify the specific mental illnesses, which disqualify gun ownership?

Some claim we are in the midst of a "mental health crisis." (My opinion is, much of it stems from dangerous drugs, like speed, opioids, etc.)

ADHD, Bipolar, Unipolar, Schizoid, etc?  We are all just babbling.

I have several relatives that take depression meds. One threatened suicide, 40 years ago to start her life cycle. In her case, the meds keep here fairly normal, although she says at times, it is very uncomfortable for her. I seriously doubt she would ever be a danger to others. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #293 on: February 23, 2018, 09:52:32 pm »
Do you think "violent felons" should be able to regain their gun rights?

What's a 'violent felon'?

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #294 on: February 23, 2018, 09:53:07 pm »

If we consider dealer records, limited to serial number and owner, as registration, it seems like an extremely minimal one.  Do you think dealers shouldn't keep records?

Please note, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT INSURANCE.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #295 on: February 23, 2018, 09:54:03 pm »
What's a 'violent felon'?

People who've been convicted of violent crimes.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #296 on: February 23, 2018, 09:54:29 pm »
I'm the one who advocates registration.  If it's good enough for cars, it's good enough for guns.   And registration does NOT lead to confiscation.  That's a straw man.

Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.

Offline thackney

« Reply #297 on: February 23, 2018, 09:55:54 pm »
Oops, my mistake.  I was looking at a list of restrictions from the NICS.  I know it's in flux around the country, but I thought some of the generally accepted results of a felony convictions were 1) no voting and 2) no weapons.  I don't actually have a problem with those consequences, but I'm willing to defer to everyone else on them.  Do you think "violent felons" should be able to regain their gun rights?

https://www.johntfloyd.com/convicted-felons-possessing-firearms-in-texas/

Under Texas state law a convicted felon may possess a firearm in the residence, in which he lives, once five years have elapsed from the date his sentence was discharged.  This means the later of release from prison or parole.  This is not true under federal law.  So, while a convicted felony could lawfully possess a firearm in these very limited circumstance under state law, he could possibly be charged and convicted under federal law, even though current federal policy is to defer to state law on this issue.

Note that this 5 years past the sentence.  If you get a 20 year sentence, get out early for good behavior, it is still 25 years before you can legally keep a gun in your home.

You still need to focus on the law is only restrictive to those that follow the law.  Criminals are not.  Forbidding anyone to own a gun only stops the one that wants to follow the law.

For the criminal, felon or not, that wants to rob or attack people, he already has his gun if he wants it.  That law isn't going to slow him down any more than the laws against illegal drugs prevent those that want them to get them.  Laws only impact the ones that want to follow the law.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #298 on: February 23, 2018, 09:57:56 pm »
People who've been convicted of violent crimes.

So a guy that beat the crap outta a bunch of guys and tore a bar down when he was in his twenties should not be able to ever buy a gun again?
Nah. That ain't right.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #299 on: February 23, 2018, 10:00:49 pm »
Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.

Those of us who do remember history are doomed to be dragged through the repetition of history caused by the fools who don't remember it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: