Author Topic: Liberal Harvard Law Prof Wants To Lower Voting Age To 16  (Read 496 times)

Offline anubias

Liberal Harvard Law Prof Wants To Lower Voting Age To 16
« on: February 20, 2018, 05:25:40 pm »
Liberal Harvard Law Prof Wants To Lower Voting Age To 16

PETER HASSON
Associate Editor
2:02 PM 02/19/2018

Liberal Harvard Law professor Laurence Tribe wants to let 16 year olds vote because he thinks they have “far better BS detectors” than adults.

Tribe claimed that arguments against 16 year olds having the right to vote are similar to arguments against letting black people or women vote.

“Teens between 14 and 18 have far better BS detectors, on average, than ‘adults’ 18 and older. Wouldn’t it be great if the voting age were lowered to 16?” Tribe asked on Twitter. “Just a pipe dream, I know, but . . . #Children’sCrusade?”

Tribe dismissed a Twitter follower who suggested that children might not be able to exercise the independent judgement required for informed voting.

Read more at
http://dailycaller.com/2018/02/19/laurence-tribe-lower-voting-age-16/

Offline anubias

Re: Liberal Harvard Law Prof Wants To Lower Voting Age To 16
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 05:27:19 pm »
I’ll go along with kids voting at 16 the moment they allow them to drink, join the Military, and buy guns at 16.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 06:24:58 pm »
Kids that age are better BS detectors? No, they aren't.

What they are is cocky, full of themselves, pushing boundaries everywhere against any kind of perceieved authority. The slightest deviation from what they think the world should be is perceived as totalitarian oppression resulting in a reaction of lashing out and rebelling. Rarely is it honest either, as they have their own multiple ulterior agendas of personally trying to gain from it.

Which leaves them open to being manipulated by adults with their own ideological agendas. What they think is being a great BS detector is actually getting played and their buttons pushed.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 07:02:16 pm »
Makes sense - to a dem.  They are easily manipulated, a large portion of the population, and will probably vote democratic.  I guess dems must actually be concerned about pending limits on illegal immigration.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 07:14:06 pm »
Makes sense - to a dem.  They are easily manipulated, a large portion of the population, and will probably vote democratic.  I guess dems must actually be concerned about pending limits on illegal immigration.

And there you have it in a nutshell.   
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Fantom

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 10:12:22 pm »
I’ll go along with kids voting at 16 the moment they allow them to drink, join the Military, and buy guns at 16.

:amen:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 02:28:39 am »
We should RAISE it -- back to 21.

Better yet, how about 25?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 02:33:53 am »

Public classrooms are bad enough as it is. Can you imagine what will happen when teachers won't have to settle for influencing their students' parents' votes through their kids and can instead lobby for votes directly?

Bring in a cellphone pic of your vote for that school bond initiative for extra credit.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 02:34:22 am by skeeter »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 08:57:51 am »

:beer:  My thought exactly.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

rangerrebew

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 10:12:33 am »
According to liberal educators, 16 years old kids aren't even mature enough to bring aspirin to school.  But they are mature enough to get abortions and vote?  :shrug:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 10:36:05 am »

I would suggest 40.  By then, one would hope that at that age, a person is settled, responsible, maybe has a family to support.  I'd like to think the stupidity of youth would be gone by then and as voters, they could make more informed,  better decisions. Of course, because they are now indoctrinated instead of educated in public schools,  they may be just as stupid at 40 as they are at 18 or in their 20s.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 12:58:17 pm »
Yeah, going the way of the UK where teens at 15 get to decide if they wish to continue going to school.

Uneducated, unemployed young voters is what this country needs on top of 30 million illegals.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington