Author Topic: My grandpa hid in closet from mass murderer. 70 years later, I did the same  (Read 313 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
My grandpa hid in closet from mass murderer. 70 years later, I did the same
    By Leinz Vales, CNN 12 hrs ago (0)

Carly Novell survived the shooting rampage at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida by hiding in a closet -- and her grandfather also escaped a lone gunman the same way almost 70 years ago.

The 17-year-old senior tweeted on Thursday about her being the second member in her family to survive a mass shooting.

"This is my grandpa. When he was 12 years old, he hid in a closet while his family was murdered during the first mass shooting in America. Almost 70 years later, I also hid in a closet from a murderer. These events shouldn't be repetitive. Something has to change," Novell tweeted.

Read more at: http://www.stltoday.com/news/national/govt-and-politics/my-grandpa-hid-in-closet-from-mass-murderer-years-later/article_05b77088-521a-5111-8b00-e99c0810bb71.html

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Howard Unruh was accused of killing more than a dozen people in the deadly shooting spree. He was diagnosed with "dementia praecox, mixed type, with pronounced catatonic and paranoid coloring" and was ruled criminally insane, making him immune from prosecution.

All I get from this story is the fact we need to keep known mentally ill and dangerous people removed from mainstream society.  That's what hasn't changed.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 04:46:31 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline skeeter

Hardly the first mass murder in America.

There was another that happened in the 1870s not three miles from where I live, on what was then a farm. The guy used a rifle on six people, motive unknown.

But its hard to convince people of a growing crisis when there's evidence that murderous lunatics have been around since Cain slew Able.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Maybe they mean "since records have been kept"; I questioned that too. There have been shooting rampages, I'm sure the Mob or Mafia did things too such as the St. Valentine's massacre we hear about.

Anyway, if one delves into the history, yes, some of these things happened back in the '30s or at least, the '40s I have read about.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Worst mass killing at a school happened 90 years ago, and it wasn't done with a gun.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/1927-bombing-remains-americas-deadliest-school-massacre-180963355/