Author Topic: Top GOP donor: 'I will not write another check' until candidates support assault weapons ban  (Read 2553 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

And while we're here talking AR's let it be noted that "AR" stands for Armalite - the company that designed and first built them - not "assault rifle".  Don't let 'em tell ya any different.
Good point and thanks for reminder.

Welcome to GBR @Meldrew
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Welcome to GBR @Meldrew

@IsailedawayfromFR

The first one I was issued in the army was stamped as an AR-15,and other than the full-auto switch capability,was identical to the civilian semi-auto version that hit the market. It didn't even have the foreward bolt assist on it. Frankly,I thought it was ridiculous and wanted my M-14 back.

I'm still half-convinced I was at least half-right back then.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 02:24:30 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
@IsailedawayfromFR

The first one I was issued in the army was stamped as an AR-15,and other than the full-auto switch capability,was identical to the civilian semi-auto version that hit the market. It didn't even have the foreward bolt assist on it. Frankly,I thought it was ridiculous and wanted my M-14 back.

I'm still half-convinced I was at least half-right back then.

Yeah!  As I recall there were a lot of people less than impressed by those damned new plastic guns at the time!  Frankly, I still am.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Yeah!  As I recall there were a lot of people less than impressed by those damned new plastic guns at the time!  Frankly, I still am.

@Bigun

I had a friend that carried a cut down M-14  he modified by cutting off  the butt stock and attaching a pistol grip on jungle patrols because he didn't trust the 223 round

Offline Victoria33

According to Google, he raised money for GWB and cheerfully accepted a plum Ambassador gig in Portugal for his troubles.  Apparently he thinks that gives him the moral authority to dictate policy to politicians.  You're right, he's not the kind of slime mold you would be interested in knowing, he's a step below your average tenant.
@Cyber Liberty

Cyber, I think the AR 15 and weapons that can be made to fire rapidly like that one, are going to be banned this time around.  The problem, is, once that one is banned, liberals will start wanting another type banned, then another type, until they are all banned and only the bad guys have guns.  Of course, those of us who already have weapons, are NOT giving them up.

Once guns were gone from Australia, house burglaries sky rocketed.  The bad guys with guns, knew no one in the house had a gun. 

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
@Cyber Liberty

Cyber, I think the AR 15 and weapons that can be made to fire rapidly like that one, are going to be banned this time around.  The problem, is, once that one is banned, liberals will start wanting another type banned, then another type, until they are all banned and only the bad guys have guns.  Of course, those of us who already have weapons, are NOT giving them up.

Once guns were gone from Australia, house burglaries sky rocketed.  The bad guys with guns, knew no one in the house had a gun.

@Victoria33
They are going to try but I don't think they'll be successful.  Everyone knows despite horrific attacks like this one and in Texas, that rifles are not commonly used in crimes.   I'm sure Trump will tweet something in a few days to distract them from this.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline thackney

@Cyber Liberty

All semi-automatics?  Including pistols?

I do not think there will be in real consideration by the feds to do this.  They may posture for the cameras but will go nowhere.

The growing of carry permits and gun sales makes it clear this important for a very large percentage of the population, regardless of what the main-stream media tries to focus upon.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

The Democrats look at the Aussie example and drool every time there's a mass shooting, especially at a school.  they saw emotions carry the day there, and think it will happen here too.  They are evil ghouls.

Our job is to resist them.  If the Pubbies do as you predict, they will be out of office in November, and all there will be to stop the rats will be a President who has spoken approvingly of gun control, and a Court system that is a crapshoot.  god save this Republic.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline driftdiver

The Democrats look at the Aussie example and drool every time there's a mass shooting, especially at a school.  they saw emotions carry the day there, and think it will happen here too.  They are evil ghouls.

Our job is to resist them.  If the Pubbies do as you predict, they will be out of office in November, and all there will be to stop the rats will be a President who has spoken approvingly of gun control, and a Court system that is a crapshoot.  god save this Republic.

I know people in Australia.   Its illegal for them to use pretty much any form of self defense.   

Our firearms are a threat to the NWO weasels.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
An assault weapon ban is a useless gesture. It didn't work the last time we did it. We'll ban the sale but it won't stop the use. We would be forced to go with banning ownership. Then they would be used again. Then the Democrats would have the impetus to demand confiscation using gun sales documents since "we had already determined they are too dangerous to keep around".

Before you start with the Slippery Slope argument, remember that Same-sex Marriage used to be a Slippery Slope Argument.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline driftdiver

An assault weapon ban is a useless gesture. It didn't work the last time we did it. We'll ban the sale but it won't stop the use. We would be forced to go with banning ownership. Then they would be used again. Then the Democrats would have the impetus to demand confiscation using gun sales documents since "we had already determined they are too dangerous to keep around".

Before you start with the Slippery Slope argument, remember that Same-sex Marriage used to be a Slippery Slope Argument.

@Restored
It doesn't matter if it works or not.  It is a step towards the eventual banning and confiscation of firearms.   Their stated goal.

The fact that the slippery slope was used on other issues does not make in inaccurate here.   The gun banners will keep pushing step by step until they get their agenda through.  They hope that events like this will break peoples will and are working towards that goal.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Let me correct you, Drift

The confiscation of YOUR guns. They will have an exemption to the law.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline driftdiver

Let me correct you, Drift

The confiscation of YOUR guns. They will have an exemption to the law.

@Restored
Of course, the govt will keep its guns and the folks that can afford private security won't have to worry.

Its only the peasants that will be disarmed.

Offline dfwgator

@Restored
Of course, the govt will keep its guns and the folks that can afford private security won't have to worry.

Its only the peasants that will be disarmed.

And of course when it comes to taking guns away from a certain element, there will be cries of "Racism!",  so they'll get to keep their guns.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:41:48 pm by dfwgator »

Online roamer_1

@roamer_1

Thanks for the links. They are very interesting,but I just can't afford either.

@sneakypete
You never can tell... You might step off the curb and get hit by a bus tomorrow, and sue the crap outta somebody...  :shrug:

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Politicians will be excluded from the law. Defining "politician" will become the focus of much money and influence. A Community Organizer may be considered a politician.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline driftdiver

The only part thats plastic is the stock.   The round is a bit light but is cheaper and lighter.   Its a decent round.

I will probably buy an ar10 in the .308, much more expensive to shoot but better ballistics and power.

Offline thackney

The only part thats plastic is the stock.   The round is a bit light but is cheaper and lighter.   Its a decent round.

I will probably buy an ar10 in the .308, much more expensive to shoot but better ballistics and power.

I bought an AR variant in 7.62x39 (AK round).
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I'm far to long in the tooth for that fire and maneuver stuff now. I'll just stand back and touch them from far far away.

My sons on several AR style weapons and I own none.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline driftdiver

I'm far to long in the tooth for that fire and maneuver stuff now. I'll just stand back and touch them from far far away.

My sons on several AR style weapons and I own none.

I hear ya but I find the 5.56 is cheap enough to keep the skills up,   Plus I live in Florida and there aren't a lot of places here where you can see more than a couple hundred yards.   At least in my area.  I hope to buy a house up in the North GA, South NC mountains soon and that might change.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I hear ya but I find the 5.56 is cheap enough to keep the skills up,   Plus I live in Florida and there aren't a lot of places here where you can see more than a couple hundred yards.   At least in my area.  I hope to buy a house up in the North GA, South NC mountains soon and that might change.

@driftdiver

A 22 rim fire will do the job if you have the luxury of enough time to take a careful,well-aimed shot. All you can kill anybody is dead. Anything beyond that is extra.

The trick is to get them close enough and still enough to take an accurate shot from up close. Snipers have a similar problem,but their targets are not usually moving so fast and they have heavier and faster bullets.

Offline Meldrew

Welcome to GBR @Meldrew

Thanks for the welcome @IsailedawayfromFR .  I've been here for awhile having been exiled from TOS before the election.  I rarely comment if I don't have something substantitive to say.  That's hard to do on this site as the regulars are usually smarter than I am.

And for the record, 5.56 is no sloutch at distance.  My adorable bride has been known to ring steel at 550 yards with hers.  I've no idea what penetration might be at that distance but I'm in no hurry to find out.  :cool:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Thanks for the welcome @IsailedawayfromFR .  I've been here for awhile having been exiled from TOS before the election.  I rarely comment if I don't have something substantitive to say.  That's hard to do on this site as the regulars are usually smarter than I am.

And for the record, 5.56 is no sloutch at distance.  My adorable bride has been known to ring steel at 550 yards with hers.  I've no idea what penetration might be at that distance but I'm in no hurry to find out.  :cool:
I got exiled the same way and left forever.

Best move I made in quite awhile.

And do not discount yourself. That comment you made is one others will keep in mind.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline driftdiver

@driftdiver

A 22 rim fire will do the job if you have the luxury of enough time to take a careful,well-aimed shot. All you can kill anybody is dead. Anything beyond that is extra.

The trick is to get them close enough and still enough to take an accurate shot from up close. Snipers have a similar problem,but their targets are not usually moving so fast and they have heavier and faster bullets.

@sneakypete
I agree that the 22 is usable.   Find me one person that wants to be shot with one.   Its good for teaching people to shoot and taking small game.   I know people used to hunt deer with it but I probably wouldn't try.   That said I have about 8000 rounds in the closet.

Offline driftdiver

@Meldrew
Welcome, and I sincerely doubt the regulars are smarter then you.   myself included, or we would be smart enough to keep our trap shut more often