Author Topic: Former Trump aide Rick Gates to plead guilty; agrees to testify against Manafort, sources say (LAT)  (Read 853 times)

Offline corbe

Former Trump aide Rick Gates to plead guilty; agrees to testify against Manafort, sources say

By David Willman 

Feb 18, 2018  |  11:25 AM 

A former top aide to Donald Trump's presidential campaign will plead guilty to fraud-related charges within days – and has made clear to prosecutors that he would testify against Paul J. Manafort Jr., the lawyer-lobbyist who once managed the campaign.

The change of heart by Trump's former deputy campaign manager, Richard W. Gates III, who had pleaded not guilty after being indicted in October on charges similar to Manafort's, was described in interviews by people familiar with the case.

"Rick Gates is going to change his plea to guilty,'' said a person with direct knowledge of the new developments, adding that the revised plea will be presented in federal court in Washington "within the next few days.''

That individual and others who discussed the matter spoke on condition of anonymity, citing a judge's gag order restricting comments about the case to the news media or public.

<..snip..>

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-rick-gates-plea-deal-20180218-story.html
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Impee Foty Fie!!!  Impee Foty Fie!!!  Impee Foty Fie!!!  Impee Foty Fie!!! 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline corbe

Impee Foty Fie!!!  Impee Foty Fie!!!  Impee Foty Fie!!!  Impee Foty Fie!!! 

I have no idea what that means @Cyber Liberty So here's a Rabbit with a pancake on it's head.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
    I have no idea what that means @Cyber Liberty So here's a Rabbit with a pancake on it's head.

She sends me.  I want to have her baby.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump aide Rick Gates to plead guilty to fraud charges and testify against Paul Manafort: report
by Robert King | Feb 18, 2018, 4:16 PM

Former Trump campaign aide Rick Gates has agreed to plead guilty to fraud-related charges and will testify against former colleague and Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Gates was going to plead not guilty after being indicted in October alongside Manafort but now reportedly has reached a deal to cooperate with special counsel Robert Mueller, the Times reported.

Gates served as the deputy campaign manager for the Trump campaign.

Both were indicted for hiding millions in Ukraine-based payments from U.S. authorities.

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-aide-rick-gates-to-plead-guilty-to-fraud-charges-and-testify-against-paul-manafort-report/article/2649439
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ha....figured he would rat Manafort out last week when he accepted a plea
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline MOD8

Offline Frank Cannon

Gates served as the deputy campaign manager for the Trump campaign.  Both were indicted for hiding millions in Ukraine-based payments from U.S. authorities.....

....over a decade ago.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Mueller is also going after Manafort for further investigation into bank fraud.  One of the properties he put up for his bail is in question and may alter the terms of his release before trial.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/17/mueller-team-alleges-manafort-bank-fraud-in-new-court-filings.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fpolitics+%28Internal+-+Politics+-+Text%29
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Frank Cannon

Mueller is also going after Manafort for further investigation into bank fraud.  One of the properties he put up for his bail is in question and may alter the terms of his release before trial.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/17/mueller-team-alleges-manafort-bank-fraud-in-new-court-filings.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fpolitics+%28Internal+-+Politics+-+Text%29

WOW!!!! The smoking gun!!! Manafart lied on a documentation for a home loan!!!! This absolutely ties Donny to the Russians!!!!

Offline edpc

WOW!!!! The smoking gun!!! Manafart lied on a documentation for a home loan!!!! This absolutely ties Donny to the Russians!!!!

No doubt the strategy is putting Manafort back on the hot seat to make a deal after he didn't the first time.  Additional charges and loss of freedom in the interim are decent leverage.

Offline corbe

His daughters husband Jared scares the $hit out of me, said no one except me and AG Sessions.

Offline Frank Cannon

No doubt the strategy is putting Manafort back on the hot seat to make a deal after he didn't the first time.  Additional charges and loss of freedom in the interim are decent leverage.

Leverage for what? There is nothing to leverage for.

Offline edpc

Leverage for what? There is nothing to leverage for.

Manafort and his attorney know what the previous charges were, what they can fight them with, and decided it was worth it to get bail and challenge in court.  The conditions for his bail was putting up $10M bond.  He used three properties to do that.  Mueller has gotten information, either through further investigation or cooperation with Gates that the property may have been purchased illegally.  If one of them was secured through a fraudulent loan, Manafort knows that.  He can either fight this in court or take a deal. 

He's already said no once.  This time, Mueller will only take a deal if he has something to give.  Otherwise, Manafort faces additional charges. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:44:40 am by edpc »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
So the argument is going to be Manafort turned a shady real Estate deal to make a $10 Million bail?  This is worse prosecutorial abuse than any perjury trap we've seen yet.  Mueller is nothing if not novel in his approach.
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

So the argument is going to be Manafort turned a shady real Estate deal to make a $10 Million bail?  This is worse prosecutorial abuse than any perjury trap we've seen yet.  Mueller is nothing if not novel in his approach.

Mueller and Weissmann both are known for pushing legal and ethical boundaries in their pursuits.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Mueller and Weissmann both are known for pushing legal and ethical boundaries in their pursuits.

I think you misspelled "breaking."   :whistle:
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

Also, the charge is bank fraud. The maximum sentence is 30 years, so we’re not talking about shoplifting.  That is what Bernie’s wife is under investigation for over the university loan.

Offline aligncare

Irregardless of which party is in the WH, we do this to ourselves every time. We saddle administrations in floating allegations and charges that take attention away from their job of governing.

We need to get rid of the special counsel statute. Why do we have a justice department if they’re just gonna farm out the work to a roving “anything’s fair game” prosecutor with no limits on their jurisdiction?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Also, the charge is bank fraud. The maximum sentence is 30 years, so we’re not talking about shoplifting.  That is what Bernie’s wife is under investigation for over the university loan.

So Meuller doesn't need any evidence to make a case, he has a long sentence to threaten Manafort with.
I will NOT comply.

Offline skeeter

Irregardless of which party is in the WH, we do this to ourselves every time. We saddle administrations in floating allegations and charges that take attention away from their job of governing.

We need to get rid of the special counsel statute. Why do we have a justice department if they’re just gonna farm out the work to a roving “anything’s fair game” prosecutor with no limits on their jurisdiction?

Worse the special counsel statute appears to be just another political tool for one party to use against the other.

On one hand there's an open ended investigation, with virtually no evidence to justify it, going on; while on the other here's a case with mounting evidence that screams for one, and all we get are crickets.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 06:39:37 pm by skeeter »

Offline edpc

So Meuller doesn't need any evidence to make a case, he has a long sentence to threaten Manafort with.

Given this new information coincides with the deal reached with Gates, it would seem he has evidence and corroborated it, somehow. Gates and Manafort were partners, so he would be in a position to know.  They may even have used the same method and people to facilitate it. Mueller is not going to give him a deal, unless the information was solid.