Author Topic: NYS Safe Act Wouldn't Have Kept Nikolas Cruz From Getting A Gun  (Read 243 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
NYS Safe Act Wouldn't Have Kept Nikolas Cruz From Getting A Gun
« on: February 16, 2018, 02:44:31 pm »
http://www.wben.com/articles/analysis-even-threatening-behaviors-nys-19-year-old-can-buy-ar-15

by Dave Debo
February 16, 2018

In Florida,  the gun that prosecutors say Nikolas Cruz used at that Florida High School was an A-R 15-that police say  he bought legally, despite having shown some threatening behaviors in the past.

And in New York State, even with one of the nation's toughest gun control laws, chances are, he could have also bought it legally here.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Suppressed

Re: NYS Safe Act Wouldn't Have Kept Nikolas Cruz From Getting A Gun
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 02:51:03 pm »
Unfortunately, many will take that as saying that the horrible NY "SAFE" law is too lenient.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 02:53:14 pm »
http://www.wben.com/articles/analysis-even-threatening-behaviors-nys-19-year-old-can-buy-ar-15

by Dave Debo
February 16, 2018

In Florida,  the gun that prosecutors say Nikolas Cruz used at that Florida High School was an A-R 15-that police say  he bought legally, despite having shown some threatening behaviors in the past.

And in New York State, even with one of the nation's toughest gun control laws, chances are, he could have also bought it legally here.

(excerpt)

Interesting article.

<snip> "No concrete history of mental illness:

In New York state, threatening behaviors alone-- absent a decision from a judge or a doctor - are not enough to automatically restrict a gun purchase.

McQuillen hopes to change that by making it easier to have family members report such behaviors and have a judge immediately rule on a temporary removal of guns.  Tresmond says better follow up is required."
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 01:50:37 am »
"In Florida,  the gun that prosecutors say Nikolas Cruz used at that Florida High School was an A-R 15-that police say  he bought legally, despite having shown some threatening behaviors in the past.
And in New York State, even with one of the nation's toughest gun control laws, chances are, he could have also bought it legally here."

Nope.
You can't buy a regular AR-15 type rifle in New York state anymore.
By "regular" I mean one that has the form factor that is commonly associated with AR-15 type design.

There was supposedly some kind of re-design that was supposed to be New York State "compliant", but whether that ever got to market, I can't say (I live in Connecticut, where you can't buy a traditional AR-15, either).

Even if you own an older AR-15 style rifle that you acquired before the "SAFE Act" was passed, I don't believe you can sell it or even give it away as part of your estate after death. The rifle must be surrendered for destruction. At least to be compliant with the law.