Author Topic: With McCain’s retreat, some turn to Romney to carry his torch  (Read 387 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

With McCain’s retreat, some turn to Romney to carry his torch
Washington Post, Feb 15, 2018, Paul Kane

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), at home battling an aggressive form of brain cancer, will not attend this weekend’s Munich Security Conference, an annual gathering of foreign policy leaders from NATO nations that has become a central clearinghouse for global security matters and a celebration of Western values and democratic institutions.

McCain, an avatar of all of the above, has been a regular attendee for decades. Last year, less than a month after President Trump took office, he stole the show with a speech that denounced the new president’s refusal to condemn Russian President Vladi­mir Putin.

It’s not clear how Romney, a heavy favorite to win, would approach his role as a senator, particularly in the era of Trump. His aides say that on the campaign trail he will avoid the role of chief foil to the president.

Romney took to Twitter, for instance, to lash out at Trump last month after The Washington Post reported that the president, in a meeting with senators, said that he did not want more immigrants from countries such as Haiti or in Africa, using an obscenity to describe such nations.  “The poverty of an aspiring immigrant’s nation of origin is as irrelevant as their race,” Romney tweeted. “The sentiment attributed to POTUS is inconsistent [with] America’s history and antithetical to American values.”

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/with-mccains-retreat-some-turn-to-romney-to-carry-his-torch/2018/02/15/2ddcb14e-11c3-11e8-9570-29c9830535e5_story.html?utm_term=.e459147bb2ac

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Re: With McCain’s retreat, some turn to Romney to carry his torch
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 07:51:59 am »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 07:00:43 pm »
I could live with Romney from a blue state, but Utah should be able to do better than that...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 07:04:44 pm »
Well Mittens announcement made sure to promote open borders, so he should be a swell replacement for McLame. He also lost a winnable election to a Marxist.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 08:05:57 pm »
sounds like John has an appointment with the Grim Reaper dude.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 08:41:01 pm »
When I was a republican I usually found it easier to defend Romney than McCain, because Romney closer matched my ideology and was more pleasing to look at.