Author Topic: President Trump's New Record: The Longest Time Without a Formal Press Conference in Half a Century  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Suppressed

The last thing we want or need here is Canada's evil oozing over us like maple syrup.

Come on, you have to admit the appeal of Question Period!  I think it's a good policy for the opposition to be able to question the government.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
@LauraTXNM
Just a couple of weeks ago, a Canadian friend asked me about the equivalent to "Question Time" and where she could watch it, when I told her that she might not be getting a totally fair view of President Trump.  It left me a bit chagrined.

It's true, that's not the best forum for him.  But I do wish there was access like in the UK and Canada...especially with all the harumphing!   :laugh:

It could be Congress asking the questions, like actual Question Time -- I don't really care that it's the press.  I just think there's a lot of value in exchanges that aren't preprogrammed and require actual thinking on the spot.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
It could be Congress asking the questions, like actual Question Time -- I don't really care that it's the press.  I just think there's a lot of value in exchanges that aren't preprogrammed and require actual thinking on the spot.

If people in Canada want to get a sense of what this would be like with Trump, they can just watch Ricky talk directly to the camera in any episode of Trailer Park Boys.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online dfwgator

It's as close as we have to a UK or Canadian "Question Time", and I think it's valuable.  Sorry, but I think it makes him cowardly.  YMMV.

The concept of "Question Time" was a good idea, before the age of television.    With TV it would just be used to generate sound bites for the news and have a bunch of grandstanding.

Online corbe

I had to go look who that was @edpc remarkable resemblance, I must say.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

I agree with most here, it'd be better NOW that he stay away from the predatory press for the foreseeable future, with all the extra-marital affairs coming to light, they would beat the $hit out of him.   Another self-inflicted wound.

For the most part the 'formal press' is filled with despicable deplorables, why should he give them the time of day?  As for his extra-marital affairs surfacing, it seems to me he's got some 'splainin' to do, but you would think that they would stop their rumor mill for now and focus on the recent tragedy in Parkland; which brings me back to the point of them being despicable deplorables. Quite frankly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the women claiming the affairs were paid by the Clintons.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Suppressed

The concept of "Question Time" was a good idea, before the age of television.    With TV it would just be used to generate sound bites for the news and have a bunch of grandstanding.

It's on CPAC in Canada and could be on C-SPAN in the US.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Applewood

Yep, it's a stupid article.  Given the nasty attitude of the press at Sarah Sanders pressers, I wouldn't bother with them either.

As for Obama's many press conferences, wasn't he always wired up or with a teleprompter?

Obama had the teleprompter AND he was "wired up" -- sometimes I think he was stoned.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Obama had the teleprompter AND he was "wired up" -- sometimes I think he was stoned.

And the white house fed the questions to the press that worshipped him.   The press was castigated if they asked unscripted questions
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Anyway, I see Trump almost every day.  He is on TV constantly.  I prefer to see him without having to see Acosta.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

The fake news should be thanking President Trump for sparing them so much pain and confusion.

There is no purpose to have a press conference.  Everyone on twitter knows what President Trump thinks as soon as it pops into his head.  But I would love to watch another press conference.

The facts and truth mean nothing to any of us, and everything viewed confirms President Trump is stupid, dangerous, and evil to those who hate him, and confirms President Trump is brilliant, wise, and blessed of G-d to his supporters.

On the other hand if it could be this entertaining it must happen again...the first 24 minutes are fascinating to watch again but the questions start at 23:50
! No longer available

Online corbe

You're Right @Once-Ler I could only stomach about 6 minutes and even Laughed quite frequently but I still don't like him.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

You're Right @Once-Ler I could only stomach about 6 minutes and even Laughed quite frequently but I still don't like him.
Then perhaps Trump is wise to spare you the discomfort of another press conference.  I not only dislike President Trump, I have a visceral hatred of the man.  I can feel my body shake when I think about the massive and insipid destruction he he has done to the country and what was once my GOP.

I used to be able to look at a guy in a dress in pure judgement and now I wonder if I haven't subconsciously alienated an ally against President Trump.  I'm kidding...I was looking in a mirror.

In all seriousness @corbe I feel for you.  I am where you are.  I think President Trump is terrible.  He was so bad that given a choice between the worst presidential rat nominee and the worst republican nominee, I couldn't find a reason to vote last time.  I can't think of a single worse rat candidate that would make me even consider voting for President Trump tomorrow, unless it was zombie FDR.

Recognizing that the GOP is just a skin that President Trump wears, has helped me to accept that giving support to either party is likely against my best interests.

I am enjoying your posts, Sir.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

I see what you mean.  In the first 6 minutes alone, he tells the press: they’re not doing their job, says it’s an honor to be with them, hopes they get along better with him, doesn’t really care if they do or not, mentions a lot of things they know, but aren’t reporting, and says they are aware of certain matters because they’ve reported it.  I got dizzy.

If he stumps for anyone this year, I’ll suggest they use this to introduce him....

! No longer available
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 11:50:36 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Fantom

Meh, a press conference is just letting the frowning sitters at the SOTU address ask questions. Democrat talking point ...propaganda questions.

Why do that.. Trump does not need them, he speaks to America directly.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass