Author Topic: Grassley rips Sessions for opposing criminal justice bill  (Read 256 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Grassley rips Sessions for opposing criminal justice bill
« on: February 15, 2018, 02:45:41 pm »
Sessions needs to fix HIS problem(s) in the DOJ ... oh, that's right he IS the problem!

Grassley rips Sessions for opposing criminal justice bill

..........What Sessions’ letter “doesn’t recognize here,” Grassley added, “and why I’m incensed about it is, look at how hard it was for me to get him through committee in the United States Senate. And look at, when the president was going to fire him, I went to his defense.”

The Iowa Republican said “all kinds of” potentially polarizing Justice Department nominees who have proved “very difficult to get through the United States Senate” have also landed in his lap as chief of the influential Judiciary Committee.

“If he wanted to do this,” Grassley said of Sessions, “he should have done what people suggested to him before: resign from attorney general and run for the Senate in Alabama again. We’d have a Republican senator.”

Grassley was referring to the special election for the Senate seat Sessions vacated to become President Donald Trump's attorney general. Sen. Doug Jones (D-Ala.) ultimately won after GOP nominee Roy Moore was hit with multiple allegations of sexual misconduct with minors. Republican leaders considered asking Sessions to join the race as a write-in candidate in a bid to save the seat for their party. Sessions has also had a tumultuous time in the Trump administration, at one point reportedly offering his resignation.

The criminal justice bill, which Grassley negotiated alongside Minority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), counts co-sponsorship from 18 other senators, evenly distributed between the parties. Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn (R-Texas), who supported the broader reform effort in the previous Congress, has shifted his focus this year to a narrower prison reform measure that he has said has a better chance of Trump signing into law.

But Grassley hasn’t abandoned the push to win floor time for the legislation, which would ease mandatory minimum sentences for certain nonviolent offenders and end the required life sentence for some repeat drug offenders. Other elements of the proposal would create new mandatory minimum sentences for other categories of offense and bolster punishment for those convicted of trafficking in drugs containing the opioid fentanyl.

Grassley disputed Sessions' characterization of the criminal justice reform bill in his Wednesday letter as bringing "potentially dire consequences" for efforts to fight the nationwide opioid epidemic............

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/14/grassley-sessions-criminal-justice-410735
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 02:47:34 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Grassley rips Sessions for opposing criminal justice bill
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 03:26:20 pm »
Chuck Grassley.  Iowa Moron.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 03:34:25 pm »
Man its hard to know who to root for in this one, Sessions and Grassley.    Can they both lose?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 03:40:51 pm »
Man its hard to know who to root for in this one, Sessions and Grassley.    Can they both lose?

Not rooting for either one.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 04:49:06 pm »
Another take on it:

GRASSLEY ACCUSES SESSIONS OF INGRATITUDE FOR OPPOSING JAILBREAK LEGISLATION
http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/02/grassley-accuses-sessions-of-ingratitude-for-opposing-jailbreak-legislation.php