Author Topic: Fla. shooting survivor pleads for gun control: ‘We are children, you guys are the adults’  (Read 11642 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
How is a teenager allowed to purchase a gun??

You can legally purchase long guns at age 18.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Offline skeeter

Offline edpc

Why?

Why not? You can join the military at age 18 and be issued a rifle.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Because the military can hand you a machine gun at 18. 18 year olds are adults. But you have to be 21 to buy a pistol.

If this guy was being treated for a severe mental illness, it should have been illegal for him to have a gun.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Because an 18 year old is a legal adult.

My Dad bought me a Monkey Wards 12 Gauge for christmas when I was 15 or 16.  When I was 18 I bought the one I wanted!.. ;)
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Why not? You can join the military at age 18 and be issued a rifle.

Then we need separate and more intrusive background checks for these teens.

And no, I don't care if the military gives a thumbs up.

Offline skeeter

My Dad bought me a Monkey Wards 12 Gauge for christmas when I was 15 or 16.  When I was 18 I bought the one I wanted!.. ;)

Funny how there seems to be a inverse relationship between availability of guns and lunatic mass shootings.

But yeah, more laws are what're needed.

Offline WingNot

Funny how there seems to be a inverse relationship between availability of guns and lunatic mass shootings.

But yeah, more laws are what're needed.

True.  Which reminds me.  I need to keep a close eye on what these elected clowns in Tallahassee try to do in the coming months.  The knees are jerking pretty badly.

Offline edpc

You can be a mentally ill mass murderer at any age.  Stephen Paddock was in his 60s.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

What we need is incarceration for people that make threats to shoot up schools.

What we need is that mentally troubled people with a history of violence to be in a hospital until they are deemed safe to be around.

What we don't need is more stupid laws that only effect law abiding people.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

You can be a mentally ill mass murderer at any age.  Stephen Paddock was in his 60s.

I'm tired of teenagers leading a charge to mass murder other teenagers.  So right now, I don't care about "any age".

What we need is incarceration for people that make threats to shoot up schools.

What we need is that mentally troubled people with a history of violence to be in a hospital until they are deemed safe to be around.

What we don't need is more stupid laws that only effect law abiding people.

In case you haven't noticed, law abiding people are the ones being killed.  So, please, spare me the platitudes.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The FBI was warned about this jerk - who expressly threatened to shoot up a school - and did nothing. The school knew about him and only told him please don't come here if you're wearing a backpack, or some such thing.

Story about the FBI is at Gateway Pundit.

The FBI couldn't be bothered, since they were busy exonerating Hillary and framing Trump. No time for crime prevention.

Boston Marathon, San Bernardino, Orlando Florida, Garland TX, and others that were "on their radar," too.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline edpc

I'm tired of teenagers leading a charge to mass murder other teenagers.  So right now, I don't care about "any age".

This is precisely why laws shouldn't be based on emotional response in the wake of a crime.

Offline driftdiver

In case you haven't noticed, law abiding people are the ones being killed.  So, please, spare me the platitudes.

@Right_in_Virginia
Ok RIV, take a deep breath and use that lump of fatty flesh sitting on your shoulders.

This occurred in a gun free zone.   So no matter what having a gun there was illegal.

Most of what this guy did was illegal from the time he left his house until he got arrested.  So how would making another law which would impact only law abiding people have helped prevent this?

Offline WingNot

Why oh why can't they just run them over with their cars standing outside the school house.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Secured buildings, metal detectors if needed.  They are at sports events and airports and usually take only a minimum to get through.

@Right_in_Virginia
Ok RIV, take a deep breath and use that lump of fatty flesh sitting on your shoulders.

This occurred in a gun free zone.   So no matter what having a gun there was illegal.

Most of what this guy did was illegal from the time he left his house until he got arrested.  So how would making another law which would impact only law abiding people have helped prevent this?

What does this babble have to do with limiting gun purchases for teenagers?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:21:59 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The  worst school massacre in America wasn't the result of a psycho with a gun, it happened in 1927 by a bomb.

Offline goatprairie

You can be questioned by SS agents and hauled off to jail and possibly imprisoned for threatening the life of the president. If they can prove that a very high number of these nuts on social media actually go off, then I  favor taking action against anybody directly threatening to kill other people on social media as this creep did.
As in " I'm going down to the school/office/factory etc.  and start shooting people." I'm not talking about someone saying "if so and so harms my child or loved one, I'm going to kill them." That is an indirect threat or warning
At the very least have their weapons confiscated.

Offline driftdiver

You can be questioned by SS agents and hauled off to jail and possibly imprisoned for threatening the life of the president. If they can prove that a very high number of these nuts on social media actually go off, then I  favor taking action against anybody directly threatening to kill other people on social media as this creep did.
As in " I'm going down to the school/office/factory etc.  and start shooting people." I'm not talking about someone saying "if so and so harms my child or loved one, I'm going to kill them." That is an indirect threat or warning
At the very least have their weapons confiscated.

@goatprairie
Its already a crime to make a threat to a school.    This guy did that multiple times but was not prosecuted.

Offline goatprairie

@goatprairie
Its already a crime to make a threat to a school.    This guy did that multiple times but was not prosecuted.
Maybe they should start prosecuting these types.

Offline thackney

The FBI was specifically told this individual was a threat and still did nothing.

What type of background check do you envision would have stopped his purchase?  He wasn't a criminal.

And do you honestly believe an individual willing to shoot a crowd of people would not find another means, such as simply running the crowd over with a truck?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

What does this babble have to do with limiting gun purchases for teenagers?

Being 19 wasn't the cause of this guy's problems and his willingness to kill innocent people.  He wasn't going to become magically safe when he turned 21.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer