Author Topic: Gowdy: House Oversight has launched investigation into Porter  (Read 394 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Gowdy: House Oversight has launched investigation into Porter
« on: February 14, 2018, 02:50:36 pm »
Gowdy: House Oversight has launched investigation into Porter
By Brett Samuels - 02/14/18 09:09 AM EST

The House Oversight Committee is now investigating how former White House staff secretary Rob Porter kept his role in the administration even as accusations of domestic abuse were made against him, according to Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.), the panel's chairman.

Asked directly on CNN's "New Day" if there would be a probe, Gowdy said, “we did last night.”

Gowdy was unclear as to the nature of the investigation, saying at one point it could be called official or unofficial.The House Oversight Committee is now investigating how former White House staff secretary Rob Porter kept his role in the administration even as accusations of domestic abuse were made against him, according to Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.), the panel's chairman.

Asked directly on CNN's "New Day" if there would be a probe, Gowdy said, “we did last night.”

Gowdy was unclear as to the nature of the investigation, saying at one point it could be called official or unofficial.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/373778-gowdy-questions-how-white-house-could-employ-porter
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Gowdy: House Oversight has launched investigation into Porter
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 02:53:10 pm »
I thought the accusations were from years ago?

It only became an issue when it was noted on his security clearance paperwork.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 03:01:13 pm »

Of course they were years ago.  That's why it's called a background check.  I'm sure the incidents were an issue during divorce proceedings at the time.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 04:16:23 pm »
So pretty much the way it works is the background check paperwork asked if you have any convictions, then they check.  They also ask if you've had any arrests.  If you don't disclose an arrest and they find it, then you'll likely be refused the clearance.

If you disclose it, they confirm it, and there is no justification to withhold the clearance then they generally approve it.

So the White House probably were letting the system do its job.  If they fired someone every time there was an accusation there would be nobody working in the White House.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline edpc

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 04:18:43 pm »
Gowdy demands answers from White House on Porter

I demand answers on his latest hairstyle.......

May the odds be ever in your favor.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:36:46 pm by edpc »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 04:32:01 pm »
Here we go again. Gowdy the used car salesman is going to get to the bottom of something by talking a lot on TV, put on a show trial and then let the issue just wither and die.

Kelly is the one in charge of this mess. No need to look any further. Fire him and move on.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 05:18:06 pm »
Kelly took over as COS on July 28, 2017.  The FBI completed Porter’s background investigation (BI) and provided a report to the White House in July (probably before Kelly was COS).  What I THINK probably happened here (speculation on my part) is that someone in the White House (probably McGahn) was given the word that Porter had a problem with his BI.  This was probably first in March and then again in July (almost assuredly in July when the background investigation was completed).  That person (probably McGahn) decided to ignore those problems and allow Porter to continue under an interim security clearance.  This was really poor judgment IMO especially on a matter involving national security at the highest levels.

Somewhere along the line, Kelly should have (and probably was) informed of this issue most likely in November when the BI was updated and/or January when the BI was closed out by the FBI.  Then the White House offered up a number of different stories in an attempt to mislead and blame others for their self-inflicted wound.  IMO Porter just wasn’t that important a player to waste all this political capital and further damage the Administration’s reputation on.   Self-inflicted wound after self-inflicted wound, which of course, came out, and even more will probably come in Gowdy’s investigation.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 06:05:57 pm »
Kelly took over as COS on July 28, 2017.  The FBI completed Porter’s background investigation (BI) and provided a report to the White House in July (probably before Kelly was COS).  What I THINK probably happened here (speculation on my part) is that someone in the White House (probably McGahn) was given the word that Porter had a problem with his BI.  This was probably first in March and then again in July (almost assuredly in July when the background investigation was completed).  That person (probably McGahn) decided to ignore those problems and allow Porter to continue under an interim security clearance.  This was really poor judgment IMO especially on a matter involving national security at the highest levels.

Somewhere along the line, Kelly should have (and probably was) informed of this issue most likely in November when the BI was updated and/or January when the BI was closed out by the FBI.  Then the White House offered up a number of different stories in an attempt to mislead and blame others for their self-inflicted wound.  IMO Porter just wasn’t that important a player to waste all this political capital and further damage the Administration’s reputation on.   Self-inflicted wound after self-inflicted wound, which of course, came out, and even more will probably come in Gowdy’s investigation.

Well said. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 06:07:42 pm »

Pete Hegseth was on that awful Fox show called Outnumbered.  I was just wondering.  If Pete slapped every one of those ladies really hard, would that be some kind of abuse?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline edpc

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 06:29:22 pm »
Self-inflicted wound after self-inflicted wound, which of course, came out, and even more will probably come in Gowdy’s investigation.

Kushner's security clearance problems will be the next headache to come out of this mess.  The kid's in debt heavily, has courted Chinese and Russian investors, can't get his background submission process straight, and has questionable value as an advisor with access to highly classified material.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/was-kushner-seeking-russian-bailout-manhattan-building-congress-will-ask-n766801

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/15/news/kushner-chinese-investors/index.html

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/373718-kushner-adds-millions-more-in-debt-since-joining-white-house

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jared-kushner-security-clearance-forms/
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:32:23 pm by edpc »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 06:33:45 pm »

Kushner's security clearance problems will be the next headache to come out of this mess.  The kid's in debt heavily, has courted Chinese and Russian investors, can't get his background submission process straight, and has questionable value as an advisor with access to highly classified material.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/was-kushner-seeking-russian-bailout-manhattan-building-congress-will-ask-n766801

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/15/news/kushner-chinese-investors/index.html

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/373718-kushner-adds-millions-more-in-debt-since-joining-white-house

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jared-kushner-security-clearance-forms/

And you just can't wait, right?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 06:35:02 pm »
Here we go again. Gowdy the used car salesman is going to get to the bottom of something by talking a lot on TV, put on a show trial and then let the issue just wither and die.

Kelly is the one in charge of this mess. No need to look any further. Fire him and move on.

I am not in favor of firing Kelly.  I think he can weather these insignificant storms that are only media fodder and do a good job.

Offline edpc

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 06:36:54 pm »
And you just can't wait, right?

For a person with a severely derogatory background to be denied clearance? 

Yes, aboso-effing-lutely.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:37:38 pm by edpc »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 06:38:31 pm »
For a person with a severely derogatory background to be denied clearance? 

Yes, aboso-effing-lutely.

I don't like the dude either but I don't believe everything the media says.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 06:39:40 pm »
I don't like the dude either but I don't believe everything the media says.

Especially those sources you quoted from.

Offline edpc

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 06:49:28 pm »
Especially those sources you quoted from.

I included links, because, invariably, someone comes along to make the challenge if it can be cited.  Of course, they're always the 'wrong' sources, when provided.   *****rollingeyes*****

There are plenty of other hits.  I chose ones that weren't behind paywalls on the different subjects.  If you search Kushner along with the words 'security clearance,' 'debt,' 'foreign investors,' 'Russia,' and 'China,' you'll find more than you'd care to read.