Author Topic: Israel's Netanyahu acknowledges that he is likely to be indicted soon  (Read 446 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Israel's Netanyahu acknowledges that he is likely to be indicted soon
LA Times, Feb 8, 2018, Noga Tarnopolsky

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu remained defiant Thursday in the face of reports — which he acknowledged — that police are expected to recommend his indictment for demanding and receiving gifts from businessmen, including cases of champagne and Cuban cigars, in exchange for personal favors.

Responding to numerous Israeli media reports, Netanyahu posted an angry video to his Facebook page agreeing that the recommendation he be indicted appears imminent.

"Many of you are asking — what will be [in the future]?" the prime minister said. "I want to reassure you, there will be nothing because I know the truth."

Netanyahu laid out a case diminishing the importance of any police recommendations, and over the course of the day cast heavy aspersions on the team investigating him and, most harshly, against the nation's police commissioner, Inspector General Roni Alsheikh.

More: http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-israel-netanyahu-20180208-story.html

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Israel's Netanyahu acknowledges that he is likely to be indicted soon
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 03:13:16 pm »
I wonder if this stems from the money Obama paid to subvert the Israelis election process.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 03:23:26 pm »
I wonder if this stems from the money Obama paid to subvert the Israelis election process.

No, it does not.

Offline anubias

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 04:07:16 pm »
Benjamin Netanyahu has lashed out at Israel's police chief amid reports that detectives will soon recommend that the prime minister face charges for corruption.

Two Israeli television channels claimed that police will next week recommend that Mr Netanyahu should be prosecuted for allegedly accepting illegal lavish gifts like champagne and cigars from two wealthy businessmen.

As the reports emerged, Israel's police chief, Roni Alseich, went on television and said "very powerful forces" had sent private investigators to "sniff around" in the private lives of detectives investigating the corruption cases.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/08/netanyahu-lashes-israeli-police-chief-amid-reports-detectives/

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 04:18:44 pm »
Netanyahu has been steadfast in his resistance to a Two State Solution that allows for a militarized Palestine and a return to 1967 lines.  He's also fully aware of Iran's expansion into Lebanon and Syria, plus the existential threat their nuclear program poses. 

His unwillingness to 'go along to get along' with the Geneva types is the reason for this investigation.  It's absurd he'd play games with his credibility and Israel's security by running an extortion racket.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline anubias

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 05:58:59 pm »
I’d wager that stinking Obama looks like the cat that ate the canary.

I hope Bibi keeps fighting and does not resign.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 06:11:33 pm »

Obama as a good Moslem, hates Jews and did all he could to stick it to Bibi.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline anubias

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 06:57:20 pm »
Obama as a good Moslem, hates Jews and did all he could to stick it to Bibi.

Interfering in elections and setting up his enemies seem to be a trend with Obama.  I hope Bibi gets the last laugh.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 08:07:28 pm »

Netanyahu's been under investigation for at least a year on charges of fraud and graft.  Even if indicted, he's promised not to resign.

If interested this should help provide some background ..

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=_aGAWvKRBYW3gge17aWYCA&q=netanyahu+investigations&oq=netanyahu+investigations&gs_l=psy-ab.3...964.5275.0.5627.24.22.0.2.2.0.137.1702.17j5.22.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.12.1057...0j0i131k1.0.vAIOvXwPbSg

@anubias

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 08:08:04 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline anubias

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 08:45:38 pm »
Netanyahu's been under investigation for at least a year on charges of fraud and graft.  Even if indicted, he's promised not to resign.

If interested this should help provide some background ..

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=_aGAWvKRBYW3gge17aWYCA&q=netanyahu+investigations&oq=netanyahu+investigations&gs_l=psy-ab.3...964.5275.0.5627.24.22.0.2.2.0.137.1702.17j5.22.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.12.1057...0j0i131k1.0.vAIOvXwPbSg

Thanks @Right_in_Virginia  I spent some time reading about it this morning.  Several articles claim that he would be “forced” to resign, but they weren’t sites favorable to Bibi, so...

@anubias

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 11:14:32 pm »
Israel Police Recommend Charging Prime Minister Netanyahu With Bribery in Two Cases

'Case 1000' alleges Netanyahu received lavish gifts from wealthy businessmen in return for political favors; 'Case 2000' alleges a tit-for-tat with publisher of Israeli daily
Josh Breiner and Revital Hovel Feb 13, 2018 10:59 PM

The Israeli police announced on Tuesday that there was sufficient evidence indicating Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu took bribes in two separate cases and acted "against public interests."

To really understand Israeli politics and the Netanyahu cases - subscribe to Haaretz

The two cases are the so-called Case 1000 – in which Netanyahu is suspected of accepting lavish gifts from wealthy benefactors in return for advancing their interests – and Case 2000, which alleges that Netanyahu tried to strike a deal that would have provided him with positive coverage in Israel's second largest newspaper, Yedioth Ahronoth, in exchange for hurting its free rival, Israel Hayom.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/police-set-to-publish-recommendations-in-netanyahu-corruption-probes-1.5812016

I don't know what to make of this.  I suspect that it is not true, but the evidence seems to point elsewhere.