Author Topic: Police: Man Pointing Gun At His Own Head Killed By Officers  (Read 1196 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Police: Man Pointing Gun At His Own Head Killed By Officers
« on: February 12, 2018, 11:43:56 pm »
WILLISTON, Vt. (AP) — A distraught man who was pointing a pistol at his own head was shot by police as he walked toward two officers next to a busy interstate and refused repeated commands to drop the weapon, state police said Monday.

The man died at a hospital shortly after the Sunday shooting in the breakdown lane of Interstate 89 in Bolton, said state police Col. Matthew Birmingham.

Benjamin Gregware, 42, of Sheldon, did not point his weapon at police before he was shot three times, Birmingham said. State police Trooper Christopher Brown and an officer from the nearby Richmond Police Department fired 12 shots total at him.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-man-pointing-gun-own-head-killed-officers-185118984.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Police: Man Pointing Gun At His Own Head Killed By Officers
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 11:48:09 pm »
Probably shouldn't walk towards cops with a gun regardless of where it is pointed.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 11:52:41 pm »
Probably shouldn't walk towards cops with a gun regardless of where it is pointed.

Oh, I dunno... 3 out of 12 shots... that's some pretty good odds for a gun fight.

But yeah, that'll teach him.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:58:13 pm »
Well at least the guy isn't distraught anymore.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 12:06:22 am »
Here's an article about a cop who didn't shoot someone and got fired because of it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5382357/West-Virginia-xop-wins-wrongful-termination-lawsuit.html

I can kind of get the point that they thought he put the other cop's lives in danger by not shooting him, but I also get that sometimes using a calm voice and reassuring a distraught and suicidal person is also an option.

As it turned out, the guy's gun was unloaded. Not that they would have known that, but damn!
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 12:09:51 am »
Good thing he didn't kill himself.

That probably would have been against the law, or something.
Let it burn.

Offline anubias

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 12:12:50 am »
It is amazing to me how often we read these stories.  They should be rare.   **nononono*

Offline verga

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 03:12:27 pm »
I can't find the link to it, but I remember reading about an FBI agent that was in an elevator with a terrorist in which they fired about 30 shots  at each other and they were all misses.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 03:19:42 pm »

@Frank Cannon

That wouldn't have really mattered.  Its common for the police to shoot someone threatening suicide.  Its in their training.   Probably somewhere a suicidal person turned the gun on a policeman, and they decided that everyone must die so they can go home safe.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 05:14:00 pm »
It is amazing to me how often we read these stories.  They should be rare.   **nononono*

Agreed.  Non-violent, safe-for-others, efficacious means of taking one's life easily should be available for all, with support from society and even assustance available, if that is one's choice. Suicide by cop should never be needed.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 05:20:33 pm »
Agreed.  Non-violent, safe-for-others, efficacious means of taking one's life easily should be available for all, with support from society and even assustance available, if that is one's choice. Suicide by cop should never be needed.

Just.WOW.

Offline verga

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 06:27:41 pm »
@Suppressed And what about the devastation that this would leave on the family and friends left behind? Suicide is NEVER the correct answer assisted or otherwise. And before anyone asks, yes I have been in a situation where that decision had to be made.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 06:31:37 pm »
@Suppressed And what about the devastation that this would leave on the family and friends left behind? Suicide is NEVER the correct answer assisted or otherwise. And before anyone asks, yes I have been in a situation where that decision had to be made.

So a person should be made to live in agony themselves, just to avoid others hurting?  Where's the morality in that?  That's akin to the communists saying you have to work to provide for others.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline verga

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 07:29:15 pm »
So a person should be made to live in agony themselves, just to avoid others hurting?  Where's the morality in that?  That's akin to the communists saying you have to work to provide for others.
@Suppressed God alone is the author and decider of life. Only He decides when it should end. Human beings taking those decisions into their hands places their wisdom above God's.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 07:31:55 pm »
@Suppressed God alone is the author and decider of life. Only He decides when it should end. Human beings taking those decisions into their hands places their wisdom above God's.
@verga

So if a deer jumps out in front of me, I shouldn't interfere and steer out of the way?

I submit that you're making a claim that you don't really believe.
+++++++++

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 07:33:42 pm »
So, if a deer jumps out in front of me, I shouldn't interfere and steer out of the way?

Depends on how much you like venison.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline thackney

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 07:37:35 pm »
@verga

So if a deer jumps out in front of me, I shouldn't interfere and steer out of the way?

It would appear you are mistaking a deer as God.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 07:42:56 pm »

Depends on how much you like venison.

Yum!  But I can't enjoy it if I'm dead... http://fox17online.com/2017/11/13/police-investigate-serious-crash-along-68th-street-in-kent-county/

Even if I survive, that can be a pricey repair bill!

+++++++++

Offline verga

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 08:21:20 pm »
@verga

@Suppressed What if the Starship enterprise came down and transported you to an alien planet. Stop engaging in the logical fallacy "Reductio ad absurdum". Your analogy are ridiculous. I don't say things I don't believe. I had two relatives that I was very close to suffer from terminal disease. Both of them chose to die with dignity. That included not prolonging their lives through artificial or heroic measures. We left it in God's hands on when he wanted to call them home. 

Offline verga

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 08:34:27 pm »
@verga

@Suppressed Let's look at the opposite side of the coin. Suppose a High school senior finds out that their significant other has been cheating on them. They are in tremendous mental anguish should they be allowed to commit suicide since "I can't live without him/ her"?
Where do you draw the line who is the arbiter of pain?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 09:32:54 pm »

That's just fine - if that's what you believe.  But should the government enforce that view?  Or rather support a person's liberty to live his life as he sees fit - including to die when he feels he must? 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 09:58:50 pm »
Stop engaging in the logical fallacy "Reductio ad absurdum". Your analogy are ridiculous.

It's a very straightforward, non-absurd scenario. 

I had two relatives that I was very close to suffer from terminal disease. Both of them chose to die with dignity. That included not prolonging their lives through artificial or heroic measures. We left it in God's hands on when he wanted to call them home.

Are you saying they never had ANY lifesaving procedures?!?!

IF they did, then God was calling them home....and then there was direct interference in what God had lined up for them.

I'm not saying it's wrong.  You're the one saying we can't interfere with God.

+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 10:00:25 pm »
@Suppressed Let's look at the opposite side of the coin. Suppose a High school senior finds out that their significant other has been cheating on them. They are in tremendous mental anguish should they be allowed to commit suicide since "I can't live without him/ her"?
Where do you draw the line who is the arbiter of pain?

A consenting adult is the arbiter of pain in his own life.  We let them inhale carcinogens.  We let them decide on who should direct their destiny in an election.  We allow them to go off to war and perhaps lose their lives.  Are you saying they can't hold their lives in their own hands -- that The State should control our lives?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:01:00 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++

Offline verga

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 10:05:43 pm »
It's a very straightforward, non-absurd scenario. 

Are you saying they never had ANY lifesaving procedures?!?!

IF they did, then God was calling them home....and then there was direct interference in what God had lined up for them.

I'm not saying it's wrong.  You're the one saying we can't interfere with God.
@Suppressed What part of  "Both of them chose to die with dignity. That included not prolonging their lives through artificial or heroic measures. We left it in God's hands on when he wanted to call them home." was unclear. Both of them received the standard medical for their conditions.   

Offline verga

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 10:21:59 pm »
A consenting adult is the arbiter of pain in his own life.  We let them inhale carcinogens.  We let them decide on who should direct their destiny in an election.  We allow them to go off to war and perhaps lose their lives.  Are you saying they can't hold their lives in their own hands -- that The State should control our lives?
@Suppressed Just so that you are absolutely clear you have just said that it is perfectly acceptable for someone that is distraught over the actions of their spouse is justified in ending their own life.
Let's take it up another notch at what point does it change from optional and voluntary to mandatory? Denmark and Iceland are aborting Children with Down's syndrome at an unprecedented rate. What about when Grandma develops Alzheimer's disease and it is too costly to put her in a home?
When you decide that man has the power of God to decide their own time of death you better make sure that you are ready for someone to decide to play God with the time and place of your death, because that is the very next step.