Author Topic: Texas mom dies from flu after skipping on meds deemed too costly  (Read 2804 times)

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Texas mom dies from flu after skipping on meds deemed too costly
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 03:49:21 pm »
Sometimes, skin issues can be tied to food. I think it is an auto-immune reaction. But mostly you should avoid all irritants. Gloves for "playing" in water. Natural soaps might help.

The Flu this year will kill about the same amount of people as previous years. It is just getting more coverage. I had to get a prescription filled and it was like walking into a TB ward. The local university has been hit really hard.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 05:14:29 pm »
I had to get a prescription filled and it was like walking into a TB ward. The local university has been hit really hard.

That's one of the main problems with our current Big Med/Big Pharma system... It seems to be painfully ignorant of the fact that it intentionally gathers sick people together at hospitals, doctor's offices, and pharmacies, where in the aggregation, contagious illness is easily spread to the generic population.

That risk is not only very real, but an absurd lapse in systemic judgement of the highest order.
Quarantine is the best way to stop a contagion.  The system works against that first effective means.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 06:07:28 pm »
That's one of the main problems with our current Big Med/Big Pharma system... It seems to be painfully ignorant of the fact that it intentionally gathers sick people together at hospitals, doctor's offices, and pharmacies, where in the aggregation, contagious illness is easily spread to the generic population.

That risk is not only very real, but an absurd lapse in systemic judgement of the highest order.
Quarantine is the best way to stop a contagion.  The system works against that first effective means.

You mean like when we took the kiddo to the ER for symptoms of a concussion and two days later he was down with a virus, possibly the flu though thankfully hubby and I never got it, for 5 days?

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 06:14:43 pm »
You mean like when we took the kiddo to the ER for symptoms of a concussion and two days later he was down with a virus, possibly the flu though thankfully hubby and I never got it, for 5 days?

Hospitals are some of the most disgusting places you'll ever step foot into voluntarily.  Most people who get MRSA contract it in a health facility, most often from routine procedures.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people in scrubs walking all over the hospital or standing outside at the smoke shack.  When I go into the OR, they tell me my street clothes can't go into a sterile area.  They're still wearing the same stuff from their grand tour.

:shrug:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 06:15:09 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 06:21:58 pm »

Exactly so. Far better to visit the sick in their homes (as it used to be), leaving the larger facilities for their proper function.

If someone is sick enough to need the hospital, then fine - initiate quarantine procedures and get them into a quarantined place ASAP... the diagnosis having come previously, the necessary means at the hospital could be entirely predicted and initiated immediately, limiting exposure, and avoiding the waiting room.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 06:24:36 pm »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 06:25:20 pm »

Hospitals are some of the most disgusting places you'll ever step foot into voluntarily.  Most people who get MRSA contract it in a health facility, most often from routine procedures.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people in scrubs walking all over the hospital or standing outside at the smoke shack.  When I go into the OR, they tell me my street clothes can't go into a sterile area.  They're still wearing the same stuff from their grand tour.

Yeah, I blame myself for that one.  We were very careful to not touch our faces, actually used the hand sanitizer as we were walking out, but I got to thinking later that no one that came in to look at kiddo, and touched him around ears, eyes, etc, washed their hands or used hand sanitizer as they came in or as they left.  I blame myself for not making them, but their fault for not doing it automatically.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 06:29:39 pm »
Yeah, I blame myself for that one.  We were very careful to not touch our faces, actually used the hand sanitizer as we were walking out, but I got to thinking later that no one that came in to look at kiddo, and touched him around ears, eyes, etc, washed their hands or used hand sanitizer as they came in or as they left.  I blame myself for not making them, but their fault for not doing it automatically.

We touch our face hundreds of times a day.  You probably did without even realizing it.  Some studies found that the average person touches their face 2000 times a day.

The ER staff probably washed their hands before and after entering.  Most hospitals require handwashing and are very strict about it.   

That said, the air was probably chock full of virus particles.  With people coughing and sneezing you didn't have a chance if you werent wearing a face mask.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2018, 06:39:24 pm »

Back in 08, I was in the hospital for several days.  The room had a sink with the an antiseptic soap dispenser, plus there was a dispenser for Purel or one of those antibacterial gels you rub over your hands.  During my stay, I swear every doctor affiliated with that hospital came in to see me, including more than a few residents or interns.  I'll bet less than half of these doctors bothered to wash their hands or use the Purel.  Finally, when some  young kid wanted to examine me without washing his hands, I had enough.  I literally got out of bed, marched him to the sink and made him wash up.  He must have noted the incident on my chart or somehow informed the others because after that, every dictor, nurse, or other medical person made it a point to wash up before examining me.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 06:39:59 pm by Applewood »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2018, 06:44:48 pm »
We touch our face hundreds of times a day.  You probably did without even realizing it.  Some studies found that the average person touches their face 2000 times a day.

The ER staff probably washed their hands before and after entering.  Most hospitals require handwashing and are very strict about it.   

That said, the air was probably chock full of virus particles.  With people coughing and sneezing you didn't have a chance if you werent wearing a face mask.

Well, I don't know where they would have washed their hands because there were no hand washing stations within view down any of the hall ways we walked down.  I suppose there could be some central location that they all have to walk back to every time they leave a room or go to a room, but that sure seems inefficient in a brand new hospital.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2018, 06:46:29 pm »
Back in 08, I was in the hospital for several days.  The room had a sink with the an antiseptic soap dispenser, plus there was a dispenser for Purel or one of those antibacterial gels you rub over your hands.  During my stay, I swear every doctor affiliated with that hospital came in to see me, including more than a few residents or interns.  I'll bet less than half of these doctors bothered to wash their hands or use the Purel.  Finally, when some  young kid wanted to examine me without washing his hands, I had enough.  I literally got out of bed, marched him to the sink and made him wash up.  He must have noted the incident on my chart or somehow informed the others because after that, every dictor, nurse, or other medical person made it a point to wash up before examining me.

Same for me back in '12, but they never got the hint.  I had to ask them to wash hands every time they came in.

Offline edpc

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2018, 06:46:54 pm »

I worked as a phlebotomist in college, doing morning draw on 20 - 40 patients.  It is a pain in the behind to wash up and change gloves for that many people, but you have to for your sake and theirs.  The isolation procedures for HIV+ patients were even more stringent.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2018, 06:51:31 pm »
Well, I don't know where they would have washed their hands because there were no hand washing stations within view down any of the hall ways we walked down.  I suppose there could be some central location that they all have to walk back to every time they leave a room or go to a room, but that sure seems inefficient in a brand new hospital.

@RoosGirl
Depends on the design of the ER unit.  Most modern ones use whats called a racetrack model.  They have an inner core where the doctors and nurses are.   The exam rooms are outside that and the patient halls are on the outside.  I've been in hundreds and they all have sinks just inside the inner area.  If its a brand new hospital its most likely set up this way.

The older designs have sinks in the rooms or in the hallways.   Regardless, failure to wash hands is a major issue for hospital staff and they police it pretty well.  They actually have staff that follow people around and check to see if they are washing their hands.   When a person catches MRSA or other type of infection in the hospital the hospital probably wont get paid for the treatment provided and will likely get sued.  So they have a major incentive to force compliance.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2018, 06:54:40 pm »
@RoosGirl
Depends on the design of the ER unit.  Most modern ones use whats called a racetrack model.  They have an inner core where the doctors and nurses are.   The exam rooms are outside that and the patient halls are on the outside.  I've been in hundreds and they all have sinks just inside the inner area.  If its a brand new hospital its most likely set up this way.

The older designs have sinks in the rooms or in the hallways.   Regardless, failure to wash hands is a major issue for hospital staff and they police it pretty well.  They actually have staff that follow people around and check to see if they are washing their hands.   When a person catches MRSA or other type of infection in the hospital the hospital probably wont get paid for the treatment provided and will likely get sued.  So they have a major incentive to force compliance.

And yet, multiple people catch infections from hospitals throughout the country on a daily basis.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2018, 07:00:36 pm »
And yet, multiple people catch infections from hospitals throughout the country on a daily basis.

Because hospitals are full of sick people

Offline edpc

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2018, 07:01:42 pm »

Find a hospital in the middle of their JCAHO inspection.  They'll be running a tight ship.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:02:00 pm by edpc »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2018, 07:04:55 pm »
Find a hospital in the middle of their JCAHO inspection.  They'll be running a tight ship.

Hah, I'll tell the kid next time he decides to smack his head it has to be during that magical time of the year.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2018, 07:05:09 pm »
Same for me back in '12, but they never got the hint.  I had to ask them to wash hands every time they came in.

Well, I didn't hint.  I told him outright he wasn't touching me till he washed his hands. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2018, 07:06:53 pm »

Yes,  indeed.

Those germs float around anyway.   People with compromised  immune systems can't fight them off like healthy people can.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:08:06 pm by Sanguine »

Offline edpc

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2018, 07:09:26 pm »
Hah, I'll tell the kid next time he decides to smack his head it has to be during that magical time of the year.

That'd help.   ^-^

Same with scheduling elective surgeries.  It was always funny when we had ours, because the department heads would be freaking out. It made me always ask them, "What's the problem? Are we not doing the right things all year?"
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:09:51 pm by edpc »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2018, 07:13:26 pm »

My Mom worked in a hospital here entire life. ICU, OR, Recovery etc and was never sick a day in her life. There wasn't a germ made that could touch her.  It wasn't until she became a patient that the Doctors managed to killed her.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:17:07 pm by Wingnut »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2018, 07:16:23 pm »
Yes,  indeed.

Those germs float around anyway.   People with compromised  immune systems can't fight them off like healthy people can.

There are a lot of things that hospitals can do better.  My experience back in '12 was that they do not put a lot of emphasis on healthy food.  There was an article here a couple days ago, maybe yesterday, about a certain spectrum of ultraviolet C light that has been found to kill bacteria and virus without hurting people.  That could be a game changer within hospitals if they can develop it to commercial/industrial use.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2018, 07:16:57 pm »
The Dr wants me to come in next week for a routine exam. I'm tempted to tell him to wait a month.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2018, 07:17:33 pm »

@Applewood
@RoosGirl

Well, obviously you two are H-A-W-T...

Or at least not an ol fat guy with a nervous flatulence condition.

The last time I was in the hospital, I could hear em outside the door flipping a coin a couple times a day to see who was going to have to see me. Sponge-baths and bedpans are completely out of the question. For that I am better off at the veterinary.  :shrug:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2018, 07:19:01 pm »
My Mom working in a hospital here entire life. ICU, OR, Recovery etc and was never sick a day in her life. There wasn't a germ made that could touch her.  It wasn't until she became a patient that the Doctors managed to killed her.

I bet she was sick during the first few weeks of starting work.  I've seen the same thing for people that work at wastewater treatment plants.  That shit (literally) is a constant mist that gets breathed in; you make it through the first couple of months and you're golden.