Author Topic: What your keystrokes reveal about your gender  (Read 431 times)

rangerrebew

What your keystrokes reveal about your gender
« on: February 12, 2018, 10:14:00 am »
What your keystrokes reveal about your gender

By Kimberly HickokFeb. 9, 2018 , 8:00 AM

Your webcam may know your face, but your keyboard knows your gender. Computer models can predict with 95.6% accuracy whether a man or woman is typing, according to a new study. To conduct the research, computer engineers installed keystroke-logging software onto the personal computers of 75 volunteers—36 men, 39 women—which monitored their daily computer use for 10 months.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/02/what-your-keystrokes-reveal-about-your-gender

Offline Polly Ticks

Re: What your keystrokes reveal about your gender
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 01:31:33 pm »
Interesting, but I don't understand this statement:

The program isn’t capable of specifying whether a man or woman types those keys faster or more often—only that there is a difference.

How can you identify a difference, but not identify what that difference is?  Weird.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 06:14:14 pm »
Interesting, but I don't understand this statement:

How can you identify a difference, but not identify what that difference is?  Weird.
@Polly Ticks

Think of it as a data-collection tool, but the analysis of the data was done by separate models (that knew which data corresponded to which typist).

At least, that's how I understand it.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 06:23:34 pm »
Companies like google can tell who you are by how  you type, the sites you visit, the OS you are using, the language used and how you type.  Google can track how fast you type and what words you use, even when you aren't on google.

They probably know more about you, then you do.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 06:36:57 pm »
Companies like google can tell who you are by how  you type, the sites you visit, the OS you are using, the language used and how you type.  Google can track how fast you type and what words you use, even when you aren't on google.

They probably know more about you, then you do.
Hardly new. In the roaring 1950s explosion in modern consumer marketing, research, surveys, etc. were used (conducted manually--later using computers) to classify, categorize, study, group, PREDICT.

The important aspect is the PREDICT part, whereby it is hoped to learn how to reach and influence buyers.

(I seem to remember years ago when Chrysler Corp. needed a bailout. Apparently they had built cars they PREDICTED folks would buy, but they backed up unsold on huge lots.)
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln