Author Topic: Russian jet crashes after Moscow take-off  (Read 1393 times)

Offline mountaineer

Russian jet crashes after Moscow take-off
« on: February 11, 2018, 01:27:31 pm »
Russian jet crashes after Moscow take-off
Feb. 11, 2018

A Russian passenger plane has crashed after leaving Moscow's Domodedovo airport with 71 people on board.

The Saratov Airlines An-148 jet was en route to the city of Orsk in the Ural mountains, near Russia's border with Kazakhstan, when it went down.

All those on board are thought to have died, officials told Russian media.

The jet vanished minutes after take-off and reportedly crashed near the town of Argunovo, about 80km (50 miles) south-east of Moscow.  ...  More at BBC News
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Re: Russian jet crashes after Moscow take-off
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 01:29:16 pm »
Russian plane crash kills all 71 people on board, state media say
By Sebastian Shukla and Milena Veselinovic, CNN
Updated 8:23 AM ET, Sun February 11, 2018

Moscow (CNN)All 71 people aboard a Saratov Airlines plane died when the plane crashed southeast of Moscow on Sunday, Russian state news agency Tass reported.

Those on board included 65 passengers and six crew members, the Russian news agency Interfax said.

The plane went down in Ramenskoye District, in the Moscow region, the Russian emergency ministry told CNN.   ...  CNN

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 02:04:00 pm »
None of the separate stories I've read mentioned distress calls from the plane, suggesting trouble.  It's still early, but my first thought was Chechens.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 02:11:48 pm »
The first report I heard mentioned "disappeared from radar," which immediately brought a missile or on-board bomb to mind.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 02:22:19 pm »
None of the separate stories I've read mentioned distress calls from the plane, suggesting trouble.  It's still early, but my first thought was Chechens.
@edpc

My first thought,also.

It might be time for Ivan to slap them back into place again. Things have been peaceful for so long now there is a new generation that doesn't understand on a personal level what happens when you wake up a sleeping bear.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 02:23:42 pm »
The first report I heard mentioned "disappeared from radar," which immediately brought a missile or on-board bomb to mind.

@mountaineer

Exactly. Modern passenger aircraft don't just "suddenly disappear" unless they explode.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 02:36:48 pm »
@mountaineer
Exactly. Modern passenger aircraft don't just "suddenly disappear" unless they explode.

My Bob's son is a pilot for United.  I worry about him all the time, continually flying/landing over the US and into Mexico and South America.  There are crazy people and terrorists everywhere.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 02:47:31 pm »

This is the Antonov jet that crashed today. Relatively fresh plane was produced in 2010

Some tweets from englishrussia.com
English Russia  @EnglishRussia1
37m37 minutes ago
They use tractors to plow the way for the rescuers come to the crash site, still they can't reach the plane remains because of the weather

1h1 hour ago 
Witnesses report: "There was explosion under the wing and it caught fire. Then there was one more flash and the airplane sharply plunged into the ground. The explosion flash was seen by everyone. It all happened so fast"

1h1 hour ago
Some news agencies report plane collided with a helicopter of Russian Post as there many pieces of post lying scattered around.
Also according to the reports nobody survived.

2h2 hours ago
The plane stayed just two minutes in the air after departure from Moscow airport. Technical services reported it was a perfectly fine plane

English Russia   @EnglishRussia1
2h2 hours ago
People going around on the field say its definitely an explosion

2h2 hours ago
Plane crashed in Moscow, 60+ people on board, rescue can't get to it as its in the middle of the forest. Its debris already being covered by snowfall. Will update more

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 02:49:28 pm »
@mountaineer

Bird strike?
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline edpc

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 02:51:57 pm »
@mountaineer

Some news agencies report plane collided with a helicopter of Russian Post as there many pieces of post lying scattered around.  Also according to the reports nobody survived.

That should be easy enough to confirm. There would be no reason to have rotors in the wreckage of an airliner.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 02:56:25 pm »
Russia passenger plane crashes less than ten minutes after take-off killing all 71 people on board as witnesses watched 'burning craft plummeting from the sky'
Daily Mail/UK, Feb 11, 2018

All 71 people on board a passenger plane today died when it 'broke up in the sky' just minutes after taking off from Moscow.

The Antonov An-148, which was operated by Saratov Airlines, came down near the village of Argunovo, 50 miles south east of the capital on Sunday.   

A source from Russia's emergency services said that the 65 passengers and six crew members 'had no chance' of survival.

Shocked witnesses reportedly saw a burning aircraft falling from the sky and wreckage was spread over a large snow-covered field.

<snip>

An emergencies ministry source told Interfax: 'The plane crashed near the village of Argunovo. The crew and passengers had no chance.

'The plane vanished from radar minutes after taking off from Domodedovo Airport in Moscow.'

The airport is also used by British Airways.

Initial Russian reports blamed weather or human error but it was unclear how these squared with claims that the plane broke up in the sky.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5378003/Russian-plane-71-people-onboard-vanishes-radar.html#ixzz56oOgxCeq

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 05:01:07 pm »
My Bob's son is a pilot for United.  I worry about him all the time, continually flying/landing over the US and into Mexico and South America.  There are crazy people and terrorists everywhere.

@Victoria33

There are crazy people and terrorists EVERYWHERE these days. There are no safe refuges,but he just MIGHT be safer flying south of the US than he is flying over the US these days. WE are the terrorist target,not Mexico and it's southern neighbors. The Muslims know they can take them without a fight once they destroy the "white west".

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 05:04:52 pm »
Bird strike?

@Neverdul

Seems very unlikely these days. A bird MIGHT take out an engine,but they all have multiple engines these days and after a few scares back in the 70's we suddenly stopped hearing about them. Maybe they came up with some sort of "anti-bird screen" over the intakes,or broadcast some sort of high-pitched signal that only birds can hear that keep them away?

Whatever the reason,it just doesn't seem to happen much anymore.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 05:05:37 pm »
@mountaineer

Some news agencies report plane collided with a helicopter of Russian Post as there many pieces of post lying scattered around.  Also according to the reports nobody survived.

That should be easy enough to confirm. There would be no reason to have rotors in the wreckage of an airliner.

@edpc

A missing helicopter would be a good first clue,too.

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 05:18:02 pm »
@Neverdul

Seems very unlikely these days. A bird MIGHT take out an engine,but they all have multiple engines these days and after a few scares back in the 70's we suddenly stopped hearing about them. Maybe they came up with some sort of "anti-bird screen" over the intakes,or broadcast some sort of high-pitched signal that only birds can hear that keep them away?

Whatever the reason,it just doesn't seem to happen much anymore.

There were approximately 10k reported bird strikes a year a few years ago.  Apparently, estimates are that at least 50% of bird strikes go unreported.  Most likely, engines have simply gotten better at ingesting birds without catastrophic consequences. 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 05:30:38 pm »
Their safety record isn't as good as those in the West. I doubt if this is terrorism. Their safety record is much better nowadays but I remember when it wasn't uncommon to hear about plane crashes in that area of the world.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 06:07:49 pm »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline edpc

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 06:12:17 pm »
@txradioguy

That speed graph is really erratic, despite the initial seemingly steady altitude climb.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 06:14:50 pm »
@txradioguy

That speed graph is really erratic, despite the initial seemingly steady altitude climb.

It looks like from that graph they were having some serious problems maintaining steady thrust.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 07:17:10 pm »
There were approximately 10k reported bird strikes a year a few years ago.  Apparently, estimates are that at least 50% of bird strikes go unreported.  Most likely, engines have simply gotten better at ingesting birds without catastrophic consequences.

@Oceander

You are probably right. I know it seems like years since I read about the last one.

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 07:38:21 pm »
@Oceander

You are probably right. I know it seems like years since I read about the last one.

It’s pretty amazing what jet engines are capable of these days. 

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 07:58:22 pm »
@Oceander

You may want to ask "Sully" Sullenberger about bird strikes.  :shrug:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 08:24:28 pm »
You may want to ask "Sully" Sullenberger about bird strikes.  :shrug:

@Neverdul

Yeah,but that was a unique situation. They had just barely gotten off the ground and still in a "full power climb" when they lost that engine.

Also,please note that even being that low and crashing so suddenly,they still had time to get a message out they were going down.

The Russian jet was a lot higher when they disappeared without a whisper.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2018, 09:02:21 pm »
Russia suspends all flights of this plane model, is sending groups of counselors and psychologists to help those who lost loved ones.  Which is about the same thing we'd do. Their last serious crash I believe I read was in 2016; at least within Russia.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:20:45 am by TomSea »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 12:03:54 am »
Conspiracy theory: