Author Topic: Texas flood: Researchers compare pollution levels before and after Hurricane Harvey  (Read 333 times)

rangerrebew

Texas flood: Researchers compare pollution levels before and after Hurricane Harvey
February 9, 2018, Texas A&M University

Recent years have seen rising interest in improving post-disaster research, with calls for more and better studies coming from the academic community and agencies such as the National Institutes of Health. Although understanding the wide-ranging effects of disasters is vital for an effective public health response, a lack of baseline data has made it difficult to attribute post-disaster changes in environmental conditions to the impacts of disasters.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-02-texas-pollution-hurricane-harvey.html#jCp

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Manchester, which is located near refineries and other industrial sites along the Houston Ship Channel, is a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood where residents face disproportionate health risks due to pollution and other environmental hazards.

As disasters become more frequent a....

Since 2016, researchers from Texas A&M and the Texas Environment Justice Advocacy Services (TEJAS), along with neighborhood residents, worked to collect data on resident's domestic exposure to PAHs by collecting and testing household dust. One week after Hurricane Harvey made landfall, researchers revisited 25 homes to collect and test soil samples.

Sorry, but when they do this kind of stuff, it is no longer science, but goes into community organizing.

Do they really believe that "hispanic neighborhoods" were disproportionally affected by the floods? 

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Back in the day it was a well established fact that "the solution to pollution is dilution!"
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Back in the day it was a well established fact that "the solution to pollution is dilution!"
When I worked in New Orleans years ago, when a hurricane came through the crews on the shallow water fields used to fill up the tanks with crude to weight them down to endure the storm.

At times, the winds and waves were so strong, it was too much for the tanks.  They were obliterated, gone with all of the oil.

No pollution - just gone, and never seen again, wiped clean by the Gulf.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington