Author Topic: Dozens at White House lack permanent security clearances  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Suppressed

Dozens at White House lack permanent security clearances
« on: February 09, 2018, 01:55:28 pm »
Dozens at White House lack permanent security clearances
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/dozens-at-white-house-lack-permanent-security-clearances/2018/02/08/50e3cfd6-0d15-11e8-8890-372e2047c935_story.html

Rob Porter, left, was President Trump’s White House staff secretary until he resigned after accusations of domestic violence. (Jonathan Ernst/Reuters)

By Josh Dawsey, Matt Zapotosky and Devlin Barrett February 8 at 8:09 PM

Dozens of White House employees are awaiting permanent security clearances and have been working for months with temporary approvals to handle sensitive information while the FBI continues to probe their backgrounds, according to U.S. officials.

People familiar with the security-clearance process said one of those White House officials with an interim approval is Jared Kushner — the president’s son-in-law and one of his most influential advisers.

[...]

National security lawyer Mark Zaid, who represents government employees going through the security-clearance process, said it is not necessarily sinister that dozens of White House employees lack clearance. He said the Trump White House, in particular, might be going through the clearance process slowly because those working there have not previously been in government and their extensive foreign and business ties take additional time to explore. Zaid said people often operate with interim clearances for months.

[...]

Good-government advocates have long been critical of the security-clearance process. The U.S. Government Accountability Office last month added the system to its “high risk” list of federal areas in need of reform, noting that executive branch agencies were “unable to investigate and process personnel security clearances in a timely manner, contributing to a significant backlog of background investigations.”

That backlog, the GAO said, totaled more than 700,000 cases as of September 2017. The GAO noted that it raised similar concerns more than a decade earlier.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Dozens at White House lack permanent security clearances
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 02:01:14 pm »

People familiar with the security-clearance process said one of those White House officials with an interim approval is Jared Kushner — the president’s son-in-law and one of his most influential advisers.

Likely due to all the same shady business and political connections as his convict father.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:01:46 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 02:08:29 pm »

Likely due to all the same shady business and political connections as his convict father.

@edpc

You just cant get a break can you.   Always wrong with the information you post.

Interim clearance are customary.   If you get a job that requires them the process starts and can take over a year, depending on what level of clearance you need.  Him getting a clearance is no different then anyone else in the White House.

At least he wasn't born in Iran or have parents in leadership positions in Saudi Arabia like our last Presidents people.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 02:29:00 pm »
My understanding is that when interim clearances are granted, particularly at somewhere as sensitive as the White House, the background investigations are expedited.  I don't recall any other White House where "dozens" lacked permanent security clearances a full year in.  If someone else does, hopefully they'll post the information and it's source.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 02:31:29 pm »
Who is charged with performing these Security Clearances?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 02:33:16 pm »
My understanding is that when interim clearances are granted, particularly at somewhere as sensitive as the White House, the background investigations are expedited.  I don't recall any other White House where "dozens" lacked permanent security clearances a full year in.  If someone else does, hopefully they'll post the information and it's source.

I do think there's something to the point that previous administrations used personnel from government, where many had already had some clearance checks done in the past, but Trump's folks have lots of potentially conflicting business interests, etc., that take longer to examine.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 02:37:56 pm »
Who is charged with performing these Security Clearances?

@Wingnut
Office of Personnel Management, FBI and probably a few others.   Depends on what access they need.  Each agency has their own process and generally doesn't honor those of other agencies.

So say  you have a TS for the FBI, that doesn't mean you have a TS for DOD or Dept of State.   Its a very very broken process.

Oh and the OPM that keeps all of the records on nearly everyone that has ever had a clearance, they've been hacked at least twice.

Offline edpc

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 02:46:10 pm »
@edpc

You just cant get a break can you.   Always wrong with the information you post.

Interim clearance are customary.   If you get a job that requires them the process starts and can take over a year, depending on what level of clearance you need.  Him getting a clearance is no different then anyone else in the White House.

At least he wasn't born in Iran or have parents in leadership positions in Saudi Arabia like our last Presidents people.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-team-seeks-top-secret-security-clearances-for-trump-children/

This inquiry was made early in the transition.  We’re way beyond a reasonable time to have this completed.  You’re right, though.  It’s bad enough Porter was a wife beater.  However, we shouldn’t be concerned at all about the son of someone convicted of 18 counts of illegal campaign contributions (to Dems), tax evasion, and witness tampering being so close to the President - especially when admin personnel are part of the current special counsel probe.

They knew Kush would be an advisor during the transition period and the process was started.  His full clearance should not take over one year. 

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 03:08:50 pm »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-team-seeks-top-secret-security-clearances-for-trump-children/

This inquiry was made early in the transition.  We’re way beyond a reasonable time to have this completed.  You’re right, though.  It’s bad enough Porter was a wife beater.  However, we shouldn’t be concerned at all about the son of someone convicted of 18 counts of illegal campaign contributions (to Dems), tax evasion, and witness tampering being so close to the President - especially when admin personnel are part of the current special counsel probe.

They knew Kush would be an advisor during the transition period and the process was started.  His full clearance should not take over one year.

@edpc
The son of eh,     well the last time I checked we don't punish people for the crimes of their fathers.   But don't let facts interrupt your fake narrative.

Offline edpc

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 03:22:50 pm »
@edpc
The son of eh,     well the last time I checked we don't punish people for the crimes of their fathers.   But don't let facts interrupt your fake narrative.

The convenient 'sins of the father' trope comes out at last.  So, you'd have no problem if a Soros family member was in a Dem admin advisory position?  What a fraud you are.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 03:29:45 pm »

The convenient 'sins of the father' trope comes out at last.  So, you'd have no problem if a Soros family member was in a Dem admin advisory position?  What a fraud you are.

@edpc
Give it up. its really tiresome how every day you seek to turn every single little thing into a crisis.

The security clearance process is broken, its been broken for decades, and its not Trumps fault.  Creating fake issues to cry and whine about is not intelligent debate.

In fact finding people who don't meet the standards is exactly that the security clearance process is for, so while its broken it does eventually find the bad ones.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 03:46:59 pm »
I do think there's something to the point that previous administrations used personnel from government, where many had already had some clearance checks done in the past, but Trump's folks have lots of potentially conflicting business interests, etc., that take longer to examine.

A perfectly reasonable possibility (although not likely the case for Porter), and if this is indeed the case, I think the Administration should have the OPM/FBI issue a statement to the effect to explain these "dozens at the White House (that) lack permanent security clearances". 

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 03:53:52 pm »
A perfectly reasonable possibility (although not likely the case for Porter), and if this is indeed the case, I think the Administration should have the OPM/FBI issue a statement to the effect to explain these "dozens at the White House (that) lack permanent security clearances".

Their response will be "it takes time".   My initial clearance took about 8 weeks and that was the lowest level.   My full clearance took about 18 months.  In the middle there were a couple others that took about 6 months and 12 months each.

In most cases the checks are pretty thorough, for me they sent a FBI agent back to the hospital I was born in to check that my fingerprints still matched.

Offline edpc

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 03:56:07 pm »
@edpc
Give it up. its really tiresome how every day you seek to turn every single little thing into a crisis.

The security clearance process is broken, its been broken for decades, and its not Trumps fault.  Creating fake issues to cry and whine about is not intelligent debate.

In fact finding people who don't meet the standards is exactly that the security clearance process is for, so while its broken it does eventually find the bad ones.

The process works fine for a lot of other people who don't submit their SF-86 with omissions about contacts and business dealings, then have to make multiple corrections, like Kushner has.  If anyone here did that, their application would be swiftly denied and may find themselves answering more serious questions from investigators. 

Do you know who one of Kushner's lawyers is for this process?  I bet you don't.  Jamie Gorelick.  The very same one responsible for the 'wall' that prevented intel sharing between agencies during the Clinton years.  Aside from stopping info to be cross referenced to possibly prevent 9/11, she also led that brilliant investigation into the crash of TWA 800.

It's not the process that's the problem.  Surrounding yourself with the wrong people having multiple links to criminals and incompetent associates is.  You seem determined to constantly slam your dick in the door, so at least give the hinges a break.

No, what's tiring is someone like yourself telling me I'm wrong about the process, finding out I'm not, then changing the subject to a broken process, and trying to blame me for the fact this is in the news.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:05:00 pm by edpc »

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 04:00:28 pm »
The process works fine for a lot of other people who don't submit their SF-86 with omissions about contacts and business dealings, then have to make multiple corrections, like Kushner has.  If anyone here did that, their application would be swiftly denied and may find themselves answering more serious questions from investigators. 

Do you know who one of Kushner's lawyers is for this process?  I bet you don't.  Jamie Gorelick.  The very same one responsible for the 'wall' that prevented intel sharing between agencies during the Clinton years.  Aside from stopping info to be cross referenced to possibly prevent 9/11, she also led that brilliant investigation into the crash of TWA 800.

It's not the process that's the problem.  Surrounding yourself with the wrong people having multiple links to criminals and incompetent associates is.  You seem determined to constantly slam you dick in the door, so at least give the hinges a break.

No, what's tiring is someone like yourself telling me I'm wrong about the process, finding out I'm not, then changing the subject to a broken process, and trying to blame me for the fact this is in the news.

@edpc

Offline Concerned

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 04:01:22 pm »
Their response will be "it takes time".   My initial clearance took about 8 weeks and that was the lowest level.   My full clearance took about 18 months.  In the middle there were a couple others that took about 6 months and 12 months each.

In most cases the checks are pretty thorough, for me they sent a FBI agent back to the hospital I was born in to check that my fingerprints still matched.

I've had clearances with several different agencies.  I know exactly how the process works, how long it takes, and how it can be expedited if enough pressure is put to bear.  My point is that if there is something unique with Trump's appointees as Supressed indicated it might be, I think it would behoove the Trump Administration to get that out there. 

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 04:08:43 pm »
I've had clearances with several different agencies.  I know exactly how the process works, how long it takes, and how it can be expedited if enough pressure is put to bear.  My point is that if there is something unique with Trump's appointees as Supressed indicated it might be, I think it would behoove the Trump Administration to get that out there.

@Concerned
Yeah theres something 'unique' with the people working for Trump; they work for Trump.  The people doing a lot of the investigation (e.g. FBI) are actively working to discredit the President.

geez it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

But go ahead and put your one truck pony blinders on

Offline Concerned

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 04:10:59 pm »
@Concerned
Yeah theres something 'unique' with the people working for Trump; they work for Trump.  The people doing a lot of the investigation (e.g. FBI) are actively working to discredit the President.

geez it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

But go ahead and put your one truck pony blinders on

OK, Trump's a victim.  Got it.   :whistle:

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 04:12:09 pm »
OK, Trump's a victim.  Got it.   :whistle:

Perhaps  you've been sleeping.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 04:41:38 pm »
Perhaps  you've been sleeping.

Fortunately, I can sleep anywhere anytime so I sleep every night like a baby. 

:thumbsup:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 04:44:32 pm »
There is no such thing as a "permanent" security clearance!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 04:48:48 pm »
Fortunately, I can sleep anywhere anytime so I sleep every night like a baby. 

:thumbsup:

So..... you wake up every two hours and Cry?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Concerned

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 04:49:06 pm »
There is no such thing as a "permanent" security clearance!

You're right of course, but I think they are making a distinction between an "interim" one and a "non-interim" (aka "permanent") one, rather inartfully (and inaccurately), I agree.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 04:49:51 pm »
So..... you wake up every two hours and Cry?

Nope.  Living the dream in fact.   :beer:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 04:50:35 pm »
If "sensitive information" is anything like the stuff that was in Nunes's FISA memo that was needlessly classified, they're not seeing much.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024