Author Topic: FBI lovers' latest text messages: Obama 'wants to know everything'  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: FBI lovers' latest text messages: Obama 'wants to know everything'
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2018, 01:33:41 am »

@anabias

It has been discussed. Several times,with the admin people seeming to generally agree that ping lists MIGHT be a good thing,and they will look into it.

Unfortunately,at least one of the movers and shakers here has stated they have never been on  web site with ping lists,and they see no advantage to them.

Blind people see no need for lightbubs at night,either.

Not being able to look on and check for pings from subjects you are most interested in is slowing down the growth of the board. If you want to build up membership,you need to make it easier for people to find threads that interest them.

Not to mention,threads they started themselves.

I know it's dangerous to speak for someone else, but I think @anubias was talking thread hijacking, not site improvements.

Offline anubias

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2018, 02:40:09 am »
I know it's dangerous to speak for someone else, but I think @anubias was talking thread hijacking, not site improvements.

@Sanguine
@sneakypete

Yes, it appeared that the texts weren’t going to be discussed much anyway is what I meant as there wasn’t much coming out about it.  But... if y’all are watching Hannity tonight, there were many important texts weren’t reported that should start a good discussion.  After the show, I’m going to go hunt to find a list of ALL the texts and start a new thread and start over.  That way, y’all can continue to discuss the upgrade without my butting into the middle of it.  LOL. There might already be one... think I’ll go look here first.

All’s good.  Really.

Offline endicom

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2018, 02:50:05 am »

@anabias

It has been discussed. Several times,with the admin people seeming to generally agree that ping lists MIGHT be a good thing,and they will look into it.

Unfortunately,at least one of the movers and shakers here has stated they have never been on  web site with ping lists,and they see no advantage to them.

Blind people see no need for lightbubs at night,either.

Not being able to look on and check for pings from subjects you are most interested in is slowing down the growth of the board. If you want to build up membership,you need to make it easier for people to find threads that interest them.

Not to mention,threads they started themselves.

Start a thread asking anyone wanting to be on that list to enter there name like so: @scooby,@doo,@etc.

If we use commas between names, that is. Whatever is proper, copy and save that string and you have your ping list.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2018, 03:29:31 am »

@Sanguine

Thank you. It went right over my head.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2018, 03:30:26 am »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2018, 03:52:15 am »

Start a thread asking anyone wanting to be on that list to enter there name like so: @scooby,@doo,@etc.

If we use commas between names, that is. Whatever is proper, copy and save that string and you have your ping list.

@endicom

You don't understand. Ping lists do NOT work that way. Here is how they work.

I decide I am really interested in reading about ancient history because it's one of my main interests. So I create a ping list with the name "Acheology",or maybe "Archeology and Digs",start a post about some recent news from a dig or a new find,and announce on that thread that I just created a new archeology ping list and that anyone that wants to enroll on it can just go to the "ping list" section where all the ping lists are arranged in alphabetical order so they are easy to find,and SELF-ENROLL. If they decide they no longer want to be pinged to archeology articles,they can just go to the "My ping lists" section where their passwords and permissions are listed,and remove themselves.

People that create ping lists are usually given an option to let any subscriber to that list post articles and "hit the ping list" so all subscribers know there is a new article. Sometimes,for reasons I don't understand,people who create a ping list choose to remain the sole poster allowed to ping everyone to a new article posted that comes under that heading. They also have to approve new subscribers and delete the screen names of people who want off the particular ping list they control. Seems like a major PITA to me,but some people like to do it that way.

At any rate,any time a new article is posted that is related to that subject,everyone on that ping list get notified when a new post is made to that article. 

IMHO it is important that every ping list have several sub-owners who can take over if the creator/owner of that ping list drops off of TBR for any reason. I have seen popular ping lists die off because the sole owner died,was banned from that site,or just disappeared,leaving no one to approve new posts or to even hit the ping list when a new article is posted.

Set up the right way,it runs itself. Admin never has to do anything to administer it.

The quality of the posts and the discussions is really elevated too,because it's easier for people who share interests to find each other and discuss related issues. It's not the hit or miss situation we have today. Say your prime interest is in Movies and TV Shows. You just set up a ping list with a title something like Movie and TV Reviews,and everybody has one central place to post comments about movies and tv shows.

Or horticulture,The Bible,airplanes,antique cars,congressional races,history,health issues/advances,bicycling,and anything and everything else you can think of,

The closest TBR has came to this is to create sub-folders like the Sci-Fi folder you can see on the home page. It helps,but you still have to go look for it and it's a clunky system where you have to go search for that sub-subject each time you sign on to even see if there are any new posts there. With ping lists,you are automatically pinged when there is a new article posted,or when someone has made a new post there. If that particular ping list has been inactive since the last time you logged on,you get no notifications.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 03:56:13 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!