Author Topic: Why Aren’t We Talking More About Women With Concussions? Mounting evidence shows female brains are  (Read 586 times)

rangerrebew

Why Aren’t We Talking More About Women With Concussions?
Mounting evidence shows female brains are more easily injured – and take longer to recover.

By Anna Medaris Miller, Staff Writer |Feb. 5, 2018, at 12:12 p.m.

Studies comparing male and female athletes in the same sport, such as soccer or basketball, have found that girls and women are up to 50 percent more likely to suffer concussions. 

A bop in the head here, a blow to the knee there – getting knocked with balls, sticks and body parts was par for the course for Natalie Katz, a high school lacrosse player in New York City. So when Katz was nailed in the head with a metal lacrosse stick during a game her sophomore year, she kept playing.

But that night she couldn't complete her homework and collapsed into bed early. Back at school the next day, she couldn't handle the bright lights and noises, and she wasn't able to finish her math test. She even tried to go to lacrosse practice, but had uncharacteristically forgotten her gear. "I wasn't functional," she remembers.

https://health.usnews.com/health-care/patient-advice/articles/2018-02-05/why-arent-we-talking-more-about-women-with-concussions

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Because no one can tell the difference?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Polly Ticks

22222frying pan

Probably just because you never listen to us ...
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online mountaineer

Pete was dropped on his head - repeatedly, pretty much on a daily basis - as a child.  :laugh:

(This female wasn't offended by his remark).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:04:47 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Frank Cannon

Pete......that was inappropriate and I'm sure it ruffled feathers here, but it was damn funny.

Top notch.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Pete was dropped on his head - repeatedly, pretty much on a daily basis - as a child.  :laugh:

(This female wasn't offended by his remark).

@mountaineer

Been dropped on it a few times as an adult,too,back when I was into semi-pro competitive drinking.

Offline DB

@mountaineer

Been dropped on it a few times as an adult,too,back when I was into semi-pro competitive drinking.

LOL... Did you "win"?

Offline DB

They might have had fewer concussions if they hadn't started the pound me too movement...

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
LOL... Did you "win"?

@DB

That's never very clear. The good news it' never clear that you lost,either.