Author Topic: The middle booster of SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy rocket failed to land on its drone ship [crash landing]  (Read 7147 times)

Offline Joe Wooten

Elon Musk’s Tesla overshot Mars’ orbit and is headed to the asteroid belt
By Loren Grush. @lorengrush  Feb 6, 2018, 11:45pm EST
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16983744/spacex-tesla-falcon-heavy-roadster-orbit-asteroid-belt-elon-musk-mars

Elon Musk’s Tesla roadster, which launched on top of SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy earlier today, is going farther out into the Solar System than originally planned. The car was supposed to be put on a path around the Sun that would take the vehicle out to the distance of Mars’ orbit. But the rocket carrying the car seems to have overshot that trajectory and has put the Tesla in an orbit that extends out into the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

[...]

Looks like a rocky road ahead.........

Offline bolobaby

I was surprised to find out that there are no thrusters on this payload. Can't figure out why SpaceX ever thought that they would never have to do any course corrections?

Because it is a dumb payload that no one really gives a shit about?
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Because it is a dumb payload that no one really gives a shit about?

Not about the 'dumb payload'. It is about success.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

And Failure.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@240B @Frank Cannon

FYI:

Tesla Motors Inc., SolarCity Corp. and Space Exploration Technologies Corp., known as SpaceX, together have benefited from an estimated $4.9 billion in government support, according to data compiled by The Times. The figure underscores a common theme running through his emerging empire: a public-private financing model underpinning long-shot start-ups.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story.html
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline jpsb

That's a pretty big oops...

First time launch and the rocket over performed. No big deal, it was a test launch with a nothing
payload.

Offline WingNot

@240B @Frank Cannon

FYI:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story.html

One thing is a given.  We will put a man on Mars long before any of the patron Saint of grifters companies are in the black.

Offline bolobaby

Oh, I'm all for what Musk and Bezos are doing, but I doubt that - on this particular mission - they were overly interested in adding millions of dollars of backup systems to make a stupid car go where they wanted.

The real test was whether they could land the launch components safely. I was stoked when I saw those Falcons touch down, but it is disappointing that the bigger, more expensive component hit the ocean going 300 mph.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline WingNot

First time launch and the rocket over performed. No big deal, it was a test launch with a nothing
payload.

That is one way to spin it.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
One thing is a given.  We will put a man on Mars long before any of the patron Saint of grifters companies are in the black.

I have no doubt about that.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
payload.

That's an important point. This is all just a test. It is a part of the learning curve.

Also, since we now know how to reach the asteroid belt, the next payload could be some kind of mining apparatus to mine the asteroid belt.

Scientists have projected that it will look something like this:

Image result for asteroids video game gif

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 02:24:00 pm by 240B »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Mod1

Merged two threads on Musk's rocket and moved to Space category

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
That explains why their stock is not publically traded, which is something I was wondering about. If they are a private company, then why wouldn't use shares to raise money?

But now I learn that it is all a lie. They are not a 'private company' as they claim. They are a private company which is funded by the government. Which necessarily means that they are NOT entirely a private company.

SpaceX is simply an extension of the government into a pseudo-private domain. Without government subsidies, SpaceX would not exist. No doubt there are GS-15 level supervisors running the show.

Didn't know any of this. I believed the lie. I thought SpaceX was privately funded. It is not.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 02:25:20 pm by 240B »

Offline WingNot

@240Z
Musk makes PT Barnum look like a piker.

Offline jpsb

Whatever you think of SpaceX they are doing the country a great service and developing mind
boggling capabilities. With Tesla the jury is still out, let see if they can solve the battery problem.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
That's an important point. This is all just a test. It is a part of the learning curve.

Also, since we now know how to reach the asteroid belt, the next payload could be some kind of mining apparatus to mine the asteroid belt.

Wouldn’t that necessitate renaming rare earth elements to common space stuff?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Hmph. So we now have a random car, with a fake dude in it, out into space towards the asteroid belt.

That is sentence I never thought I'd type in my lifetime.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
The part of me that used to enjoy reading Science Fiction can foresee a time in the future, after asteroid mining has become commonplace, when some Belter will stumble across Elon's Lost Tesla, and become a brief media sensation...
Let it burn.

Offline edpc

The joke will be on us when that car mysteriously disappears, comes back hundreds of years later as V'ger, and insists on talking to Elon.

Offline WingNot

The joke will be on us when that car mysteriously disappears, comes back hundreds of years later as V'ger, and insists on talking to Elon.

A sentient, massive entity which threatens Earth in 2271, en route to find its Creator Saint Elon.... Sounds like a nice movie plot for a sequile.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
To a certain extent, Musk's space efforts are a competitor with Boeing, Lockheed Martin, and other defense-aerospace contractors.

Those forms, using government accounting rules, have socked it to taxpayers for decades and for billions if not trillions of $$.

Many American families have worked all or most of their careers, riding government contracts for "defense" and "national security," knowing full well the extent of corruption, inefficiency, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline thackney

A sentient, massive entity which threatens Earth in 2271, en route to find its Creator Saint Elon.... Sounds like a nice movie plot for a sequile.

All while singing "Space Oddity" by David Bowie.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline edpc

It'll have a subplot concerning a #metoo campaign against Captain Decker.

Oceander

The car, if that is what you mean, is on its way to Mars as we speak. It will orbit Mars for infinity. There are no plans to land it on the surface or to attempt to recover it.

Some time hundreds of years in the future, some insurance company is going to have to pay on a spaceship hit-and-run with that thing!!