Author Topic: Trump’s ‘marching orders’ to the Pentagon: Plan a grand military parade  (Read 4850 times)

Offline Concerned

Looks like the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs is aware of the request for a parade and confirms the military is working on it:

The US military's top officer said Wednesday that planning is under way after President Donald Trump ordered a military parade, an unconventional demand that has drawn comparisons to sabre rattling more commonly associated with autocrats.

"I am aware of the president's request and we are in the initial planning stages to meet the president's direction," General Joe Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters during a visit to the Thai capital Bangkok.

Dunford is the first top US military official to publicly address Trump's longstanding wish for a large-scale military parade, which the White House confirmed Tuesday.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/planning-under-way-trumps-military-parade-dunford-110324755.html
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
I had forgotten about it.  Remember Hillary making the SS carry her luggage?  To those two federal employees were all their personal servants.

You can say what you want about Trump.  He does seem to genuinely appreciate our Military.  The Clintons hated them.
@anubias
I'm very well convinced that it is possible to appreciate our military without demanding the kind of saber-rattling tanks/missiles/artillery parades that are de rigueur
with dictatorships large and small. His respect is certainly enough. Especially compared to the Clintons and to His Excellency Al-Hashish Field Marshmallow Dr. Barack Obama
Dada, COD, RIP, LSMFT, Would-Have-Been-Life President of the Republic Formerly Known as the United States, but even without the comparison.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Trump sort of stumbles into a lot of these things. I think he just saw a parade in France and thought "hey this is cool". Unfortunately the image that comes to my mind is the parades in the USSR or Saddam Hussein saluting his troops as they march past.

Bad optics.

Oceander

Trump sort of stumbles into a lot of these things. I think he just saw a parade in France and thought "hey this is cool". Unfortunately the image that comes to my mind is the parades in the USSR or Saddam Hussein saluting his troops as they march past.

Bad optics.

Very bad optics

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I did so want a parade.  sigh....  Whatever should I do with 10 thousand marbles.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:17:38 pm by Wingnut »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline mountaineer

Bad optics.
Agreed.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GrouchoTex

A Soviet-style military parade, with missiles and tanks?

Just say Nyet, Mr. President.

Offline EasyAce

I did so want a parade.  sigh....  Whatever should I do with 10 thousand marbles.
If you have a large aquarium, you could put them in the bottom. ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline aligncare

Get real, people! This is America! The constant phony comparisons to communist regimes is getting old. It’s just another way for the haters to say, see “Trump’s a dictator.”

Anyway, I doubt it will be an ostentatious show of military might; more like a patriotic tribute to the troops showcasing the colors with lots of pomp and circumstance. It’s slated for sometime in November, probably in conjunction with Veterans Day.

Offline GrouchoTex

One shouldn't lose one's marbles over a parade...

Offline EasyAce

. . . more like a patriotic tribute to the troops showcasing the colors with lots of pomp and circumstance. It’s slated for sometime in November, probably in conjunction with Veterans Day.
If that's all it proves to be, I wouldn't object in the slightest, considering it would also be the centenary of the end of World War I.

But if it does turn into a big saber-rattling show-of-strength exhibition of tanks/artillery/etc., yes, I'd damn well object. For the bad-optics factor and because, well, if you think that kind of parade would be prohibitively expensive to deliver (and it would be), just wait until the street-repair bills come in afterward.

Offline EasyAce

Oh, I still have my marble. Singular. (Thank you, Goodman Ace. ;) )

Offline Applewood

Get real, people! This is America! The constant phony comparisons to communist regimes is getting old. It’s just another way for the haters to say, see “Trump’s a dictator.”

Anyway, I doubt it will be an ostentatious show of military might; more like a patriotic tribute to the troops showcasing the colors with lots of pomp and circumstance. It’s slated for sometime in November, probably in conjunction with Veterans Day.

I'm concerned about the optics of such a spectacle, but more so, I'm concerned abut the burden tof ua taxpayers.  I'm all for honoring our military, but as I said previously, how about something that truly benefits them in a tangible way.  I think they would appreciate a bump in pay or better medical care that pomp and circumstance.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

So how much is this going to cost us taxpayers? 

Compared to President Obama's vacations and golf bill, and compared to propping up President Trump's Mar-a-lago resort and golf bill, I'm guessing it won't cost much.  I think it is a grand idea.  The negative press generated outside of America about the Trump administration flexing it's military might keeps the anger burning.  That hate fuels republican acceptance of military hawk President Trump, and also fuels mistrust of our foreign allies, the UN, and globalism.  That is some kick butt propaganda.

If Trump wants to honor the military, why doesn't he do something beneficial to the military?

He could start by honoring those who have served -- by getting those lazy lumps in congress to fix the VA.

Leadership starts at the top.  If the CIC has a priority, it becomes a national priority.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/04/08/report-veteran-charities-get-fraction-money-raised-trump-event.html
http://www.weeklystandard.com/for-years-trumps-charity-gave-veterans-little-more-than-peanuts/article/2000776

Offline aligncare

I'm concerned about the optics of such a spectacle, but more so, I'm concerned abut the burden tof ua taxpayers.  I'm all for honoring our military, but as I said previously, how about something that truly benefits them in a tangible way.  I think they would appreciate a bump in pay or better medical care that pomp and circumstance.

Trump has consistently defied the “optics are wrong” experts and each time has managed to come through unscathed in these battles. He simply is unconcerned by the PC crowd. I like that about him.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

My question is why aren't the Freedom Caucus and other fiscal conservatives screaming as loudly now as they did when Obama spent money we didn't have.  I sure am, but where's everyone else? 

That is a good question. 

Offline DB

I lost my marbles a long time ago...

Offline DB

Trump has consistently defied the “optics are wrong” experts and each time has managed to come through unscathed in these battles. He simply is unconcerned by the PC crowd. I like that about him.

Is that why his approval ratings are so high?

Offline WingNot

I lost my marbles a long time ago...

We have witnessed that.  You have almost reached the Plankton level.    :cool:

Offline DB

We have witnessed that.  You have almost reached the Plankton level.    :cool:

My cycle of life is nearly complete...

Offline WingNot

My cycle of life is nearly complete...

The great thing about plankton...It pretty much keeps to itself!   So you are good to go!

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:52:49 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Looks like the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs is aware of the request for a parade and confirms the military is working on it:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/planning-under-way-trumps-military-parade-dunford-110324755.html

He got the military marching past him in review last January...and in four years if he's lucky he'll get that same honor again.

He should be happy with that.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Yeah...you keep telling yourself that.  :whistle: