Author Topic: Trump’s ‘marching orders’ to the Pentagon: Plan a grand military parade  (Read 4851 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

At least he’s not pulling this Clintonesque stunt from 1994:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1994/06/25/from-white-house-officers-to-aides-de-canapes/a0c630a5-2126-4ee0-b141-151625b6f4dc/?utm_term=.039d5e170998
I'd almost forgotten about that one.

But I won't be shocked if it should happen again in the future.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

I was fixing Army radios back then.  Everyone was pissed.  I’m glad my time with him as CiC was brief.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline anubias

It isn't just the WP: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/06/trump-orders-military-celebration-in-washington-dc.html

Who thinks this is a good idea? I don't get it.

An annual tradition of patriotism and a celebration of our Military on the Fourth?  If it was any other POTUS than Trump, I think it might be better received, but the media and the D’s are going to turn it into a boondoggle of bitching.

Offline anubias

I had forgotten about it.  Remember Hillary making the SS carry her luggage?  To those two federal employees were all their personal servants.

You can say what you want about Trump.  He does seem to genuinely appreciate our Military.  The Clintons hated them.

Offline Night Hides Not

An annual tradition of patriotism and a celebration of our Military on the Fourth?  If it was any other POTUS than Trump, I think it might be better received, but the media and the D’s are going to turn it into a boondoggle of bitching.

One of the worst ideas of the year. The only thing I disliked more than a parade was a visit to the base by a Congress critter. The extra work that went into these two activities usually blew up my training schedule for a week, sometimes more.

Our service members have better things to do. As others have noted, there are scheduled events throughout the year. Let's keep it that way, and not add on needless commitments.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Applewood

So how much is this going to cost us taxpayers? 

If Trump wants to honor the military, why doesn't he do something beneficial to the military?

He could start by honoring those who have served -- by getting those lazy lumps in congress to fix the VA.

Offline Suppressed

You can say what you want about Trump.  He does seem to genuinely appreciate our Military.  The Clintons hated them.

Agreed.

I also don't think he's stupid enough to be pushing for this.

...though you never know.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline anubias

One of the worst ideas of the year. The only thing I disliked more than a parade was a visit to the base by a Congress critter. The extra work that went into these two activities usually blew up my training schedule for a week, sometimes more.

Our service members have better things to do. As others have noted, there are scheduled events throughout the year. Let's keep it that way, and not add on needless commitments.

I know.  The ranks had rather spend the Fourth with their families celebrating than marching in the hot sun.  I don’t think this is a good idea either. 

I don’t know if they still do it because of terrorism fears, but they used to have free concerts with a big name come to the bases and fireworks for the the Military and their families.  Often the big names would sign autographs for as long as it took to sign everybody’s.  I don’t think this parade idea will be a morale booster, but I could be completely wrong as we haven’t heard what Trump has in mind other than the parade.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
I hope they don't do this.  It's a stupid idea
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Concerned

So how much is this going to cost us taxpayers? 

If Trump wants to honor the military, why doesn't he do something beneficial to the military?

He could start by honoring those who have served -- by getting those lazy lumps in congress to fix the VA.

^^^^THIS

The government's going to have to borrow almost $1T this year due to reduced tax revenues from the tax cuts.  I just don't see how a Soviet-style, North Korean-style, French-style military parade benefits anything other than President's ego.  It's extra work and expense for the military and local law enforcement.  If he insists on spending money on something, I'd much prefer he took the budget for this and do something like just hand it to military families as a surprise bonus.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline driftdiver

^^^^THIS

The government's going to have to borrow almost $1T this year due to reduced tax revenues from the tax cuts.  I just don't see how a Soviet-style, North Korean-style, French-style military parade benefits anything other than President's ego.  It's extra work and expense for the military and local law enforcement.  If he insists on spending money on something, I'd much prefer he took the budget for this and do something like just hand it to military families as a surprise bonus.

@Concerned

The govt may have to borrow but it's not because of the tax cuts.   It's because of the spending

Offline Concerned

@Concerned

The govt may have to borrow but it's not because of the tax cuts.   It's because of the spending

That might be your opinion but not everyone agrees.  From another thread:

Due primarily to "fiscal outlook" according to the Treasury Department and specifically that "tax receipts are going to be lower because of the new tax law" according to the CBO.  From the link in the OP:

Treasury mainly attributed the increase to the "fiscal outlook." The Congressional Budget Office was more blunt. In a report this week, the CBO said tax receipts are going to be lower because of the new tax law.

Whether it's spending or tax receipts, we've now got a supposedly "conservative" administration borrowing almost $1T this year and advocating additional spending on infrastructure, a big increase in defense spending, and now a silly military parade.  "Conservative"?  Certainly not "fiscally" at least that I can see.

Offline driftdiver

Whether it's spending or tax receipts, we've now got a supposedly "conservative" administration borrowing almost $1T this year and advocating additional spending on infrastructure, a big increase in defense spending, and now a silly military parade.  "Conservative"?  Certainly not "fiscally" at least that I can see.

@Concerned

It's not a matter of opinion.   If you spend more then you make then you either go broke or borrow.

Our govt spends too much money.

Blaming a cut in taxes is dishonest.   Tax cuts always increase revenues because people spend the money.  Corporations are bringing billions back to the US.  That money will create jobs and buy stuff.   Generating more taxes.

Offline Concerned

@Concerned

It's not a matter of opinion.   If you spend more then you make then you either go broke or borrow.

Our govt spends too much money.

Blaming a cut in taxes is dishonest.   Tax cuts always increase revenues because people spend the money.  Corporations are bringing billions back to the US.  That money will create jobs and buy stuff.   Generating more taxes.

But the level of increased revenues is not a certainty and in fact, the level is in some doubt.  That's why it's an opinion.  Your opinion is that the increased revenues will more than make up for the reduced revenues from the tax cut.  The Congressional Budget Office obviously thinks otherwise.  My money's on them.  We'll never agree on this subject.

You and I are in complete agreement that our government spends too much money.  I wish we had a fiscal conservative in the White House but apparently we just have another borrow and spender in there.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
That might be your opinion but not everyone agrees.

Treasury mainly attributed the increase to the "fiscal outlook." The Congressional Budget Office was more blunt. In a report this week, the CBO said tax receipts are going to be lower because of the new tax law.

Well, the CBO also made it sound like Obamacare would be a good thing because more people would necessarily have coverage due to the mandate.  We know how that went.

Many people are moving into better paying jobs as economic conditions improve.  More people working at better pay and spending the money would actually increase receipts.  We've seen it happen before.  Spending was always the issue.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:24:06 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline driftdiver

@Concerned

Infrastructure and defense are the two things our govt should be spending.  Why no concern for entitlements

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Lets have a parade...I want to ride in a tank!

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Concerned

@Concerned

Infrastructure and defense are the two things our govt should be spending.  Why no concern for entitlements

I think we absolutely HAVE to tackle entitlements. I have said that here on TBR.  Unfortunately our President has proclaimed he'll never touch entitlements.   We'll never truly tackle the debt without touching entitlements IMO.   I've condemned the President for his over-spending.  I've condemned the President for his stance on entitlements.  I've condemned the President for proposing a budget that requires us to borrow almost $1T.  I don't think we need the tax cuts right now.  We have a pretty darn hot economy. 

My question is why aren't the Freedom Caucus and other fiscal conservatives screaming as loudly now as they did when Obama spent money we didn't have.  I sure am, but where's everyone else?

If we're truly concerned about government spending, let's start with cutting stupid things like a military parade down PA avenue.  I'm sure you agree.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:53:03 pm by Concerned »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I would put money on this either being fake or never seeing the light of day.

Offline LMAO

I would put money on this either being fake or never seeing the light of day.

Same here.

But if true.....no
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Perhaps he's seen too many memes on Twitter

:pondering:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Third world dictators and Communist regimes do stupid stuff like what he's proposing.

This is just assinine and something tonstrokenhis already oversized ego.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline driftdiver

In the air force I was in an air combat squadron located on an army post.   The army was always marching by our compound.     Our commander and the army commander didn't get along.

So she decided to have our unit do some marching.  Bunch of air force guys who hadn't marched since basic.   I was fortunately watching the secure vault and couldn't participate.

Needless to say we didn't do that again.

Offline driftdiver

Third world dictators and Communist regimes do stupid stuff like what he's proposing.

This is just assinine and something tonstrokenhis already oversized ego.

France does it.  That's where he got the idea

Offline LMAO

I think we absolutely HAVE to tackle entitlements. I have said that here on TBR.  Unfortunately our President has proclaimed he'll never touch entitlements.   We'll never truly tackle the debt without touching entitlements IMO.   I've condemned the President for his over-spending.  I've condemned the President for his stance on entitlements.  I've condemned the President for proposing a budget that requires us to borrow almost $1T.  I don't think we need the tax cuts right now.  We have a pretty darn hot economy. 

My question is why aren't the Freedom Caucus and other fiscal conservatives screaming as loudly now as they did when Obama spent money we didn't have.  I sure am, but where's everyone else?

If we're truly concerned about government spending, let's start with cutting stupid things like a military parade down PA avenue.  I'm sure you agree.

^^^^This

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy