Author Topic: Trump’s ‘marching orders’ to the Pentagon: Plan a grand military parade  (Read 4853 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
By Greg Jaffe and Philip Rucker
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trumps-marching-orders-to-the-pentagon-plan-a-grand-military-parade/2018/02/06/9e19ca88-0b55-11e8-8b0d-891602206fb7_story.html?utm_term=.f84fe1f692ba

President Trump’s vision of soldiers marching and tanks rolling down the boulevards of Washington is moving closer to reality in the Pentagon and White House, where officials say they have begun to plan a grand military parade later this year showcasing the might of America’s armed forces.

Trump has long mused publicly and privately about wanting such a parade, but a Jan. 18 meeting between Trump and top generals in the Pentagon’s tank — a room reserved for top-secret discussions — marked a tipping point, according to two officials briefed on the planning.

Surrounded by the military’s highest-ranking officials, including Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr., Trump’s seemingly abstract desire for a parade was suddenly heard as a presidential directive, the officials said . . .

. . . Shows of military strength are not typical in the United States — and they don’t come cheap. The cost of shipping Abrams tanks and high-tech hardware to Washington could run in the millions, and military officials said it was unclear how they would pay for it . . .
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If they're crazy enough to do it, wait until the bills come in for repair the streets torn up by those tanks and that high-tech hardware.---EA.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Oceander

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I love a parade.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline anubias

Seriously?

I hope not.  Somebody needs to explain to him that just because the Libs are turning us into a turd world country, does not mean we need to display it for the world to see.

*****rollingeyes*****

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline anubias

I love a parade.

It’s not a “Pride” parade.  It’s a Military Parade.   ****slapping

:P

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
It’s not a “Pride” parade.  It’s a Military Parade.   ****slapping

:P

Everyone celebrates Easter with a parade and a few tanks and missile launchers
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Mesaclone

Would be a great way to honor Veteran's Day. Certainly wouldn't be the first military parade in this nation...not even close. I would suggest raising private funds to pay for the event...no need to give the Libs something ELSE to bitch about. Leading the parade, should be our Wounded Warriors and their families. Could be a great thing for the nation to see.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline EasyAce

So did Sadat......for awhile.

So did Hitler . . .

. . . the Soviet Union . . .

. . . Idi Amin . . .

. . . Castro . . .

. . . So does Vladimir Putin . . .

****Replaced Getty Image of Castro****
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 02:48:25 pm by MOD8 »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline anubias

Everyone celebrates Easter with a parade and a few tanks and missile launchers

In my neck of the woods, we do it in the Fall.  Complete with pumpkin chuckers in tow and the dropping of Turkeys for the riflemen to shoot.

Offline Frank Cannon

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Hopefully this is bullshit - but if true - then perhaps our fears and warnings of Trump's desire to follow in famous footsteps might have some validity.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline edpc

@EasyAce

I think your Armata may be life sized.

Offline EasyAce

@EasyAce

I think your Armata may be life sized.
@edpc
And I even forgot Little Fat Boy's passion for military parades . . .

p.s. I just shrank the armada ;)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:07:17 am by EasyAce »

Offline edpc

It was beautiful when the Russians rolled out their state of the art Armata tank and it broke down in the middle of the parade.  It had to be towed out.

Offline EasyAce

It was beautiful when the Russians rolled out their state of the art Armata tank and it broke down in the middle of the parade.  It had to be towed out.
Ever wonder what might happen if one of the missiles in those Russian parades launched by mistake?

Offline edpc

Ever wonder what might happen if one of the missiles in those Russian parades launched by mistake?

It'd be better than the time the German kid landed in Red Square.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

So does Paris @EasyAce .... which impressed the President when he attended the Bastille Day parade at the invitation of Macron in July ....

Offline EasyAce

So does Paris @EasyAce .... which impressed the President when he attended the Bastille Day parade at the invitation of Macron in July ....
I tend to think that, with the U.S., parades like that are a rare exception. (Like major war victories, for example.)

Which is probably a good thing considering how expensive it'll be to a) bring in the equipment, and b) repair the streets afterward. Things those
who like to throw such parades don't always stop to ponder.

And we have military parades ---large and small---all across this nation on Veterans' Day (and Independence Day)

And every Inauguration ...

Offline anubias

We have parades for dignitaries, but these are always on a base.  Certainly not of the type where we show off our missiles and latest DOD shock and awe thing rolling down a public thoroughfare to show our might, not only to Little Kim, but to our citizens as well.  The inaugural parade is a different kind of animal.

We show off in other ways, such as the old Space Program having space walks broadcasted to the world.

@Right_in_Virginia
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:25:27 am by anubias »

We have parades for dignitaries, but these are always on a base.  Certainly not of the type where we show off our missiles and latest DOD shock and awe thing rolling down a public thoroughfare to show our might, not only to Little Kim, but to our citizens as well.  The inaugural parade is a different kind of animal.

We show off in other ways, such as the old Space Program having space walks broadcasted to the world. 

I don't know how much faith I have in the Washington Post's reporting @anubias   After reading the article in its entirety I'm guessing 95% of this is exaggeration ... if not flat out fake news.  100% of it is based on "unnamed sources" from a "meeting between Trump and top generals in the Pentagon’s tank — a room reserved for top secret discussions ...."  Sorry, but this doesn't pass the sniff test.

But an Independence Day parade similar to the inauguration might be a nice tradition to start.  But I'll need more reliable reporting before I reach a final verdict.   ^-^

Offline anubias

I don't know how much faith I have in the Washington Post's reporting @anubias   After reading the article in its entirety I'm guessing 95% of this is exaggeration ... if not flat out fake news.  100% of it is based on "unnamed sources" from a "meeting between Trump and top generals in the Pentagon’s tank — a room reserved for top secret discussions ...."  Sorry, but this doesn't pass the sniff test.

But an Independence Day parade similar to the inauguration might be a nice tradition to start.  But I'll need more reliable reporting before I reach a final verdict.   ^-^

I hear you @Right_in_Virginia  That’s why my first post said, “I hope not.”  And made a joke out of it, as I assumed it was exaggerated if even true.  But...

If he does want some crazy show of might, he needs to see that it’s not a good idea.  Something patriotic on the fourth is different as long as it doesn’t appear that we’re trying to scare the world and our own citizens by rolling mega-killing machines through a city.  There’s a huge difference.

Online DB

It isn't just the WP: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/06/trump-orders-military-celebration-in-washington-dc.html

Who thinks this is a good idea? I don't get it.

Offline edpc