Author Topic: Report: Nunes Wants to Publish As Many As 5 More Memos  (Read 774 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Report: Nunes Wants to Publish As Many As 5 More Memos
« on: February 05, 2018, 01:49:45 pm »
Report: Nunes Wants to Publish As Many As 5 More Memos
By
Chas Danner

House Intelligence Committee chairman Devin Nunes is planning to release as many as five additional memos targeting politically motivated “wrongdoing” at federal agencies, according to a new Axios report. On Friday, the House Intelligence Committee released a declassified GOP-written memo which accused officials at the FBI and Justice Department of abusing their power for politically motivated purposes and using misleading information to obtain a FISA warrant to surveil a former Trump campaign adviser who was suspected of having ties to the Kremlin.

The overhyped memo got a lot of attention, but was far from the shocking conspiracy exposé that Nunes and many other Trump allies had promised, and it in fact largely reinforced the rationale of the Russia investigation. Either way, it’s unlikely Nunes will be deterred by the criticism, so more memos are undoubtedly on the way. How credible they are, and how much damage they do to the federal institutions they target, remains to be seen.

more
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/02/report-nunes-wants-to-publish-as-many-as-5-more-memos.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Report: Nunes Wants to Publish As Many As 5 More Memos
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 02:12:37 pm »
Whatever people think of the content and motivations, it's at least an attempt to show transparency after decades of promises.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 02:58:38 pm »
I thought this part of the article was odd:

"Looking ahead to the midterms, it doesn’t look like Nunes’s new notoriety will cost him electorally back home in Central California’s heavily Republican 22nd district. Nunes’s main challenger in this November’s election, Democratic prosecutor Andrew Janz, reportedly raised more than $110,000 on Thursday and Friday thanks to the memo controversy. But Politico reported on Saturday that while Janz’s campaign may be energized and trying to capitalize on Nunes’s bad press, the candidate still faces long odds. Nunes already has a $3.8 million campaign war chest, and, unlike many other California Republicans, his seat is not being aggressively targeted by ambitious Democrats this fall.

"The New York Times checked in with random voters in Nunes’s district on Friday and found that people either weren’t aware of the memo controversy or didn’t much care about it. Then again, as Ed Kilgore argued on Thursday, an upset this fall isn’t out of the question, and “no matter how this all turns out, Nunes is attracting an astonishing amount of attention to himself, and is out on a political limb that looks less stable every day.”

California...

"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 03:12:25 pm »
Nunes memo raises question: Did FBI violate Woods Procedures?
Sharyl Atkisson
The Hill
For all the debate over the House Republican memo pointing to alleged misconduct by some current and former FBI and Justice Department officials, one crucial point hasn’t gotten the attention it deserves.

And it relates in an unexpected way to special counsel Robert Mueller.

The point is: There are strict rules requiring that each and every fact presented in an FBI request to electronically spy on a U.S. citizen be extreme-vetted for accuracy — and presented to the court only if verified.  ...

Presentation of any such unverified material to the Federal Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) court to justify a wiretap would appear to violate crucial procedural rules, called “Woods Procedures,” designed to protect U.S. citizens.

Yet Comey allegedly signed three of the FISA applications on behalf of the FBI.   ...
More
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 04:17:02 pm »
One of the releases will be a two disc live reading from Veterans Memorial Auditorium.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 05:07:36 pm »
I hope this doesn't turn into another 5+ pages of circular arguments over "is this is as bad as Watergate?"  It gets old after a couple dozen posts.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 05:11:46 pm »
I hope this doesn't turn into another 5+ pages of circular arguments over "is this is as bad as Watergate?"  It gets old after a couple dozen posts.

Come on now.  I have 20 or so saved comments ready to cut and paste my good man.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 05:16:14 pm »

OK if you say so.

But comparing the "watchdog press" attitude between then and now is pretty tempting. Hell, to this day we are subject to self congratulatory movies about how courageous they were reporting leaked info & sticking it to the man forty years ago.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 06:13:07 pm »
Come on now.  I have 20 or so saved comments ready to cut and paste my good man.
OK if you say so.

But comparing the "watchdog press" attitude between then and now is pretty tempting. Hell, to this day we are subject to self congratulatory movies about how courageous they were reporting leaked info & sticking it to the man forty years ago.

Let 'em rip!  No sense in disarming on a field of battle.  I need to learn to not let this stuff bore me, anyway.  Sort of "Forum Immunotherapy."
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:53:48 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 11:45:36 pm »
Keep those printers churnin' out the memos, Mr. Nunes !