Author Topic: Government set to borrow nearly $1 trillion this year, an 84 percent jump from last year  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Suppressed

Government set to borrow nearly $1 trillion this year, an 84 percent jump from last year
Heather Long, The Washington Post | on February 3, 2018
http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/Government-set-to-borrow-nearly-1-trillion-this-12549659.php

It was another crazy news week, so it's understandable if you missed a small but important announcement from the Treasury Department: The federal government is on track to borrow nearly $1 trillion this fiscal year - President Donald Trump's first full year in charge of the budget.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Oceander

So much for fiscal responsibility. 

Offline Suppressed

"I'm the king of debt. I love debt!"  --Donald Trump
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Applewood

I suppose much of that borrowing will be squandered under the guise of "fixing the infrastructure."
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 06:40:45 pm by Applewood »

Oceander

I suppose much of that borrowing will be squandered under the guise of "fixing the infrastructure."

This is borrowing to fund already existing operations.  Any infrastructure funding would be on top of this.

Offline Applewood

This is borrowing to fund already existing operations.  Any infrastructure funding would be on top of this.

Ok, but I'll bet most of it will, as usual, be squandered.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 06:47:51 pm by Applewood »

Offline Concerned

Due primarily to "fiscal outlook" according to the Treasury Department and specifically that "tax receipts are going to be lower because of the new tax law" according to the CBO.  From the link in the OP:

Treasury mainly attributed the increase to the "fiscal outlook." The Congressional Budget Office was more blunt. In a report this week, the CBO said tax receipts are going to be lower because of the new tax law.

I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Oceander

Ok, but I'll bet most of it will, as usual, be squandered.

I’m sure it will be. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
So much for fiscal responsibility.

"Fiscal responsibility"?  Surely you jest.  Fiscal responsibility is so passé.

Offline Hoodat

This really pisses me off.  An end to baseline budgeting cannot come soon enough.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online corbe

I wish someone would have warned US.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Whatever.

Our grandkids will just pass it off to their grandkids.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I wish someone would have warned US.

He sold it to Carl Icahn who eventually shut it down.  Icahn was his regulatory advisor during the campaign.  It'd be amusing if we found out one day he donated money to finance the Fusion GPS research.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline GrouchoTex

"Fiscal responsibility"?  Surely you jest.  Fiscal responsibility is so passé.

No kidding,
It is now just a race to see which party puts us less in debt, rather than actually trying to do anything about it.