Author Topic: Dick Durbin: It's unlikely we'll reach a DACA deal, but 'I don't see a government shutdown coming  (Read 1167 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Washington Examiner
by Josh Siegel
Feb 4, 2018, 9:48 AM

Sen. Dick Durbin said Sunday senators are unlikely to reach an immigration deal before government funding expires later this week, and there won’t be another partial government shutdown over the issue.

“There is not likely to be a DACA deal, though we're working every single day on telephone calls and person to person to try to reach this bipartisan agreement,” said Durbin, D-Ill., the second-ranked Democrat, in an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union." "I don't see a government shutdown coming.”

Durbin said he is encouraged about negotiations occurring between moderate Democrats and Republicans to reach an immigration deal that would protect immigrants who were brought illegally to the U.S. as children and covered by former President Barack Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

Trump announced last year that he would end the DACA program, and he gave Congress until March 5 to address the status of the immigrants, known as “Dreamers.”

(more)
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/dick-durbin-its-unlikely-well-reach-a-daca-deal-but-i-dont-see-a-government-shutdown-coming/article/2648052
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I am betting there is no DACA deal by March and they will force Trump to extend or deport.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I am betting there is no DACA deal by March and they will force Trump to extend or deport.

I'm betting it just expires as scheduled.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

We are kind of saying the same thing. If it expires and he takes no action, it will upset his base, but make the Koch brothers happy.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Common wisdom is that the Dems do not want any DACA deal no matter what it is. They want to keep the illegals in limbo at least until after the midterm. In fact, the Dems heads' would explode if Trump just granted amnesty for nothing at all. They would go crazy. They would lose their minds.

They don't want Trump to be the guy who does DACA, under any circumstances.
They don't want Trump to get his wall, under any circumstances.

This puts the Dems in a box. They either work with Trump, give him the credit, and appease their Hispanics. Or they stonewall the whole thing, betray the Hispanics, and sabotage Trump.

They lose no matter what they do.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline jpsb

We are kind of saying the same thing. If it expires and he takes no action, it will upset his base, but make the Koch brothers happy.

If the illegal DACA protections put in place by Obama expire why would that make Trump's
base unhappy? And why would that make the Koch brothers happy?

Offline jpsb

Common wisdom is that the Dems do not want any DACA deal no matter what it is. They want to keep the illegals in limbo at least until after the midterm. In fact, the Dems heads' would explode if Trump just granted amnesty for nothing at all. They would go crazy. They would lose their minds.

This puts the Dems in a box. They either work with Trump, give him the credit, and appease their Hispanics. Or they stonewall the whole thing, betray the Hispanics, and sabotage Trump.

All the Dems care about is resistance, they are more than happy to throw dreamers under the
bus to keep the issue alive. Happily some of the smarter dreamers are waking up to the Rat game
of not solving the problem.

Offline edpc

If the illegal DACA protections put in place by Obama expire why would that make Trump's

Trump said DACA would be repealed on day one, they would have to leave, then negotiate their return.  The Kochs are against this, but the base supporting him wasn’t.

Offline anubias

Trump said DACA would be repealed on day one, they would have to leave, then negotiate their return.  The Kochs are against this, but the base supporting him wasn’t.

Trump said he was going to take care of the dreamers.  I did not like it at all, but he did say it.

Offline Fantom

Nope, Trump will extend the deadline as a good faith measure in return for democrats to vote a funding measure that extends through 2018.

Or , my preference.. a short term extension along with an equally short term funding...say every 3 weeks. Keep reminding American voters that democrats are threatening to shutdown government in order to pander to illegal aliens. 

Truthfully, we do not want a vote on this till 2019 when the next Congress is in session. We must have at least five more votes in the Senate to unleverage the R.I.N.O. scum.. we all know who they are...one should be well dead by then, the other three...well, that is why we need at least five more votes before DACA/Imigration.

Impasse for now is good. The only Q is will the Dims seek a long term funding bill. Unfortunately, I believe they will. I just hope that the R's have enough Trump induced spine to make them pay..I.E. Play by our rules on funding... otherwise..every 3-4 weeks... beat the DACA drum over the dims head.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline corbe

It certainly seems to me that he is between a Rock and His Campaign Rhetoric, again.  Not Good.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

Trump said he was going to take care of the dreamers.  I did not like it at all, but he did say it.

Not until later.  During the campaign, he was calling for deportation.  Later, as Kelly said, he ‘evolved.’

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L01yYp3vTbA
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 01:35:05 am by edpc »

Offline Fantom

It certainly seems to me that he is between a Rock and His Campaign Rhetoric, again.  Not Good.

Politics, as Trump is learning, is the art of the possible.

I s'pect as that meets the "Art of the Deal"....we will see much more from a Trump Presidency than we thought artfully possible.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline anubias

Not until later.  During the campaign, he was calling for deportation.  Later, as Kelly said, he ‘evolved.’

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L01yYp3vTbA

But the primary BS doesn’t count in the grand scheme of things.  All that counts is what the voters heard that were not tuned into the primaries.  It sucks, but it is what it is.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

That's what I was wondering.  I mean if the old deal expires, doesn't that mean there will be no DACA deal?

He's referring to the fact that a lot of people think the Koch brothers are pro-illegal immigration.  They have no real evidence for this opinion.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline anubias

That's what I was wondering.  I mean if the old deal expires, doesn't that mean there will be no DACA deal?

He's referring to the fact that a lot of people think the Koch brothers are pro-illegal immigration.  They have no real evidence for this opinion.

Illegals will continue to pour over the border.  We need an end to chain migration, border security, and an end to the lottery system at the least.

Offline corbe

Politics, as Trump is learning, is the art of the possible.

I s'pect as that meets the "Art of the Deal"....we will see much more from a Trump Presidency than we thought artfully possible.

I too believe that @Fantom and it will be more Good than Bad, if the first year is any indication.  So I'm a Happy, though somewhat Bitchy, Camper.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

Like it or not, the DACA people are illegal immigrants. Otherwise, they wouldn’t need special protection.  Also, the Kochs are against ‘arbitrary’ radical changes to chain migration. They are cheap labor express social liberals.  Your ignorance and propensity to say anything without informed opinion is really ******* annoying.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-27/koch-network-warns-trump-against-arbitrary-immigration-cuts

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/koch-brother-im-social-liberal
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 02:18:08 am by edpc »

Offline libertybele

I don't think the DEMS lose at all -- the Dreamers are still in this country and Trump already announced proposing  a pathway to citizenship. Meanwhile the DEMS have refused to give Trump money for his wall and they are refusing to end chain migration.   So the only thing that has changed is Trump stating he's willing to give them citizenship ... the contingencies don't matter to the 1.6 million dreamers.  So they give Trump credit ... he still has no wall, hasn't ended chain migration and he in essence just handed the DEMS 3.2 million new voters.  Keep in mind also that Trump has asked SCOTUS to rule -- if they rule FOR DACA then we now have given dreamers amnesty, no wall and chain migration. If the SCOTUS rules against DACA Trump is still going to have to decide what he is going to do with the 1.6 dreamers already here. He sure as heck isn't going to be able to tell them to leave.  Do you really think he's going to say, sorry folks you have to leave because the DEMS won't let me build a wall and won't end chain migration.  I hardly think so.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Illegals will continue to pour over the border.  We need an end to chain migration, border security, and an end to the lottery system at the least.

IMHO Trump should have never used DACA as his bargaining chip. The DEMS shut down the government anyways and he should have started deportations ... then the DEMS may have given him the wall and an end to chain migration in order to stop the deportations. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
I don't think the DEMS lose at all -- the Dreamers are still in this country and Trump already announced proposing  a pathway to citizenship. Meanwhile the DEMS have refused to give Trump money for his wall and they are refusing to end chain migration.   So the only thing that has changed is Trump stating he's willing to give them citizenship ... the contingencies don't matter to the 1.6 million dreamers.  So they give Trump credit ... he still has no wall, hasn't ended chain migration and he in essence just handed the DEMS 3.2 million new voters.  Keep in mind also that Trump has asked SCOTUS to rule -- if they rule FOR DACA then we now have given dreamers amnesty, no wall and chain migration. If the SCOTUS rules against DACA Trump is still going to have to decide what he is going to do with the 1.6 dreamers already here. He sure as heck isn't going to be able to tell them to leave.  Do you really think he's going to say, sorry folks you have to leave because the DEMS won't let me build a wall and won't end chain migration.  I hardly think so.

I know that you have take some heat but I am totally with you, and everything you say is true.  Thank you for holding your ground.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.