Author Topic: Alan Dershowitz on the Nunes memo: Republican 'truth' and Democratic 'truth'  (Read 683 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Alan Dershowitz on the Nunes memo: Republican 'truth' and Democratic 'truth'
By Alan Dershowitz, opinion contributor — 02/02/18 05:35 PM EST

The Republicans have now released the memo containing their version of what is in the controversial FSIA application. Not surprisingly, the Democrats have a different version. It should be easy to decide whose “truth” is more credible: Let the American public see the application itself — instead of second-hand, partisan accounts — and let us decide for ourselves.

The problem with that obvious solution is that the application is currently classified. But classification should never be used – as it often is – for political benefit or to protect agencies or individuals from just criticism. Let a nonpartisan expert decide what must be redacted for genuine security concerns, and let the remainder of the application be released.

more
http://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/372095-alan-dershowitz-on-the-nunes-memo-republican-truth-and-democratic-truth
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Amen to that. 

Offline Concerned

Dershowitz is absolutely correct IMO.  I've been saying all along that there's no way for we, the American people, to really know what ground truth is by reviewing partisan summaries of the FISA warrant process.  We'll only know what was really in the application by seeing the FISA warrant application itself.  From Dershowitz's piece:

The Republican memo, standing alone, raises questions about the process by which the warrants were obtained from the FISA court. The Democratic memo, if it is forthcoming, may purport to answer those questions. But it will never be able to answer them definitively without an objective assessment of the actual FISA application itself.

I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Dershowitz is absolutely correct IMO.  I've been saying all along that there's no way for we, the American people, to really know what ground truth is by reviewing partisan summaries of the FISA warrant process.  We'll only know what was really in the application by seeing the FISA warrant application itself.  From Dershowitz's piece:

We're never going to 'see' the warrant applications.

That said, we already have evidence of Obama weaponizing government to go after political enemies both small, low and high.

Anyone remember Lois Lerner?  IRS ring any bells?
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Concerned

That said, we already have evidence of Obama weaponizing government to go after political enemies both small, low and high.

I agree we'll never see the FISA applications.  As a result, we'll never truly KNOW what's in the applications:  we'll only know the little pieces of (misleading) information both the Republicans and the Democrats want us to see.  Truly sad that both parties are now weaponizing classified intelligence for their own political (and potentially legal) gain. 
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline bolobaby

Agree with this 100%.

We'll get it through FOIA 20 years from now, though.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I agree we'll never see the FISA applications.  As a result, we'll never truly KNOW what's in the applications:  we'll only know the little pieces of (misleading) information both the Republicans and the Democrats want us to see.  Truly sad that both parties are now weaponizing classified intelligence for their own political (and potentially legal) gain.

I do not refer to both parties in DC as 'the Oligarchy' without reason. 

Right now we simply have a variation of Lenin, Trotsky and Stalin happening; needing each other and thus working together to achieve near the same goals - but bitterly opposed and hated one another to the point of subterfuge, murder and cover-up.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Oceander

So why hasn’t Trump started a prosecution of her?

Offline LMAO

Alan Dershowitz is one of those people that you may politically disagree with on certain issues but you have to admire his integrity and his attempt to try to remain open minded on some of these things
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 05:49:15 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
So why hasn’t Trump started a prosecution of her?

Perhaps ask Jeff Sessions about that.  Brady and Roskam sent a letter last year demanding criminal prosecution of overt chargeable offenses that were ignored by the “not a smidgeon of corruption” Obama regime and the Republican-led investigatory committees.

Oceander

Perhaps ask Jeff Sessions about that.  Brady and Roskam sent a letter last year demanding criminal prosecution of overt chargeable offenses that were ignored by the “not a smidgeon of corruption” Obama regime and the Republican-led investigatory committees.

Why shouldn’t I ask the president of the United States, and head of the executive?