Author Topic: Ji Seong-ho: A North Korean defector's brutal journey from torture and starvation to Donald Trump's  (Read 266 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: THE TELEGRAPH

URL: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/31/ji-seong-ho-north-korean-defectors-brutal-journey-torture-starvation/

by Chris Graham

Donald Trump used the harrowing story of a North Korean defector to highlight the brutality of Kim Jong-un's regime during his State of the Union address on Tuesday night. 

Ji Seong-ho, who was among the guests of honour for the president's speech to Congress, was hailed as "an inspiration to us all" and received a standing ovation from the lawmakers. 

The president described how Mr Ji was a "starving boy in North Korea" 22 years ago when he tried to steal coal from a train to barter for food. 

"In the process, he passed out on the train tracks, exhausted from hunger. He woke up as a train ran over his limbs," Mr Trump said. 

Mr Ji lost his left leg above the knee and his left hand at the wrist, enduring "amputations without anything to dull the pain".

The president said Mr Ji was later tortured after returning from a brief trip to China.  "His tormentors wanted to know if he had met any Christians. He had - and he resolved to be free," the president said.

In 2006, Mr Ji escaped North Korea via the Tumen River.

"I knew from that point, the next time I go to North Korea will be when reunification finally happens," he said in a 2012 interview, recalling the moment he pulled himself out of the water and onto the banks of the Chinese side.

Mr Trump described how "Seong-ho travelled thousands of miles on crutches across China and Southeast Asia to freedom. Most of his family followed. His father was caught trying to escape, and was tortured to death".

When he arrived in South Korea, the doctors were shocked at his condition.  "They said that of all the North Koreans that make it here, someone with such disabilities was rare to see," Mr Ji said in the interview.

The 35-year-old now helps rescue other defectors from North Korea and "broadcasts into North Korea what the regime fears the most - the truth", Mr Trump said. 

"Seong-ho's story is a testament to the yearning of every human soul to live in freedom," the president said, as the defector held his old crutches aloft.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline SirLinksALot

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
It was one of several "Kodak" moments during the SITU. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."